New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Stocks... crude oil
    Investment funds: oil companies. Shell Ph still has to make IPO. This will be huge...
    Warren B just bought billions into oil..its about to go up.
    Shell IPO has been delayed over and over since 1997. After Pandacan's close the IPO rumor mill stirred up again. But in reality, it's not something to get your hopes up for. Shell on a global level is downsizing, could pull out of up to 10 countries. PH is one of the strongest Asian markets so not likely, but that doesn't mean that capex will not be cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach View Post
    Hello

Need advice from the experts, which of these 4 will be the best place where I could allocate part of my funds that will be redeemed in exactly 5 years from now? In terms of cheap admin fees and easier to pull out. I will allocate a portion of my emergency funds + add monthly increments then pull them out after 5 years.

Currently I am invested in blue chip stocks and high dividend equity UITF from BPI where I am planning to let it sit there for 15-20 years and no plans of pulling them out anytime soon. I have no experience in selling my stocks or redeeming funds from these so I have no idea which are cheaper in terms of managements/admin fees. This will be a separate pool for just 5 years.

Thank you for those who could help.
    Having invested in all of your options, I would say that the most liquid would be UITFs and stocks. UITFs are far easier to manage - just invest monthly and let compounding and the economy do its magic.

For stocks, you have the flexibility to buy and sell different stocks at different times. However, depending on how much money you'll put in regularly, you might not be able to diversify as broadly as with UITF. For example, you invest 10k a month, and want to buy PLDT shares. At 2k per share and a minimum of 5 shares, you consume your entire 10k budget on one stock. Then next month you buy some other stocks to balance out your portfolio, so in effect, you don't really get to maximize cost-averaging because you're buying different stocks at different times with potentially different market trends.

I could go on, but bottomline:
    - Minimal effort, decent returns: index UITF
    - Significantly more effort, marginally better returns (or worse, if you suck): stock market

UITFs also have lower management fees than VULs. 1.5% is standard, unlike with VULs where they're not as transparent with their management fees, and you're really not earning until the 10th year or so. Also, the returns of my VUL (invested in equity) aren't up to par with the index.

As Benjamin Graham says - index funds are the best tool for the average joe to reap the benefits of a growing economy without having to pour in too much effort.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Having invested in all of your options, I would say that the most liquid would be UITFs and stocks. UITFs are far easier to manage - just invest monthly and let compounding and the economy do its magic.

For stocks, you have the flexibility to buy and sell different stocks at different times. However, depending on how much money you'll put in regularly, you might not be able to diversify as broadly as with UITF. For example, you invest 10k a month, and want to buy PLDT shares. At 2k per share and a minimum of 5 shares, you consume your entire 10k budget on one stock. Then next month you buy some other stocks to balance out your portfolio, so in effect, you don't really get to maximize cost-averaging because you're buying different stocks at different times with potentially different market trends.

- Significantly more effort, marginally better returns (or worse, if you suck): stock market

UITFs also have lower management fees than VULs. 1.5% is standard, unlike with VULs where they're not as transparent with their management fees, and you're really not earning until the 10th year or so. Also, the returns of my VUL (invested in equity) aren't up to par with the index.

As Benjamin Graham says - index funds are the best tool for the average joe to reap the benefits of a growing economy without having to pour in too much effort.

Thank you sir.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I just buy Stocks.. and I manage dami ng online trading ngayon. Start ka lang ng 50K and buy few stocks in diff company

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRock View Post
    I just buy Stocks.. and I manage dami ng online trading ngayon. Start ka lang ng 50K and buy few stocks in diff company
    I also manage my stocks online (COL), but UITFs are still much, much simpler.

Just open the app, transfer money to your UITF, then done. Repeat next month. Redeem money when needed. Takes less than a minute.

For stocks, I watch out for buy below prices and target prices. I also have to constantly compute the number of stocks of each company I buy to have a balanced portfolio, while taking into consideration my budget constraints vis a vis the minimum board lots of each company. It takes more time, maybe an hour a month, plus the effort I spend researching about what companies to buy.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

For index funds, you at least need to check whether the market is overbought/oversold, whether valuations are still reasonable, etc. Nalugi din yung bumili ng index fund back when it hit 7800, ngayon lang sila medyo nakakabawi.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    For index funds, you at least need to check whether the market is overbought/oversold, whether valuations are still reasonable, etc. Nalugi din yung bumili ng index fund back when it hit 7800, ngayon lang sila medyo nakakabawi.
    Cost averaging. You don't buy all at one point. I bought last year when it was at 7800 but of course I was also able to buy when it was below 7000 so all in all there are still gains.

And in 5 years, even if you buy high (relative to that year's lows), it's still highly likely that you'll end up positive. Unless of course there's an economic downturn (inevitably happens every decade or so), in which case just hold on for another year or two and you should be fine.

Timing the market can lead to potentially bigger returns (i.e. if you cashed in 100% last year before the slump then reinvested when it was at 6500) but in the long term you really cant predict and even if you just left your money untouched you'd still be positive by now anyway. Noone ever really successfully and consistently predicts where the market is going.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Which bank allows you to add and get to / from your UITF online?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Which bank allows you to add and get to / from your UITF online?
    BPI

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gusto ko din sana sa Stocks pero sa mga payo ng mga expert dito like sir Jut703 mukhang mas ok sa akin sa ngaun ang Mutual Funds at UITFS.. Medyo nalilito lang ako sa dalawa kasi sa BPI dun ang bank ko tapos kapag nag-inquire ako agad ang offer yung BPI-Philam(mutual funds ba ito?). May isa na din kami ni misis yung sa dollar.. Salamat sa mga matyagang nagtuturo dito.. Laki talagang tulong..��

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Stocks vs Mutual Funds vs VUL vs UITFS