New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    It's true. I think the middle class grew a lot in the 2000s

Just a moment...

I removed the quote so it's easier to read:

It can sometimes be tricky to understand macro-economic concepts. We hear the terms GDP, inflation, debt and recession, among others, but many of us can’t really make sense of them and how they relate to us directly.

A Facebook user tried a more practical approach to help people understand at least one of these economic concepts. To illustrate the exponential growth of the middle class and purchasing power of the ordinary Filipino over the past 30 years, Jethro Trogo posted a status update using the lyrics of Andrew E’s song “Alabang Girls” as an example.

The song came out in 1992 and was part of Andrew E's extensive oeuvre from the era. It was a big radio hit, so much so that it was eventually turned into a movie, which featured the singer in the lead role, of course.

If you have trouble remembering the song, or have never heard of it at all, here’s a refresher:

And here are the full lyrics of the song:

S'ya'y isang girlie na mahilig mag-beach (yeah)
    Mataas ang kanyang level at hindi mo siya ma-reach (uh-huh)
    Taga-Forbes, taga-Dasma, ang hilig n'yang ka-mingle (really?)
    Wala lamang mayaman 'pag ang ere n'ya, nag-jingle (uh)

Silang mga babae na bihirang ngumiti (ooh)
    Walang kaguhit-guhit ang kanyang binti (is that so?)
    Walang kaduda-duda, porselana'ng kanyang face (oh)
    At 'pag s'ya'y ngumiti, up and down ang kanyang brace (say what?)

Kung, kung, kung s'ya'y pagmamasdan, s'ya'y cool na cool (cool)
    Mas cooler pa sa water ng kanyang swimming pool (hm-mm)
    At 'pag s'ya'y kausap na, malakas ang dating (oh)
    Fav'rite hamburger, Burger King or nothing (nothing else)

Ang gusto n'ya, Kellogs, ayaw n'ya, Cheese Curls (that's true)
    'Pag s'ya ay nag-party, suot na ang kanyang pearls (uh-huh)
    Imposibleng hinding-hindi mo s'ya papansinin (why?)
    'Pag nakita mo s'yang sakay ng kanyang limousine

Palagi n'yang hawak, kanyang cellular phone (really?)
    Pabrika at kumpanya, things they own (oh, my God)
    Baskin Robbins ang kanyang ice cream (what's that?)
    At s'ya'y nagba-ballet pagdating ng dilim (oh)
    Puro credit cards at wala s'yang cash (wow)

Laging kinu-curl ang kanyang eyelash (disgusting)
    Kapag s'ya'y nasa mall, mga heads ay nagtu-twirl (really?)
    Iba talaga'ng dating, ang galing ng Alabang Girl (yeah)

In a nutshell, the song talks about a well-off woman living in a swanky part of town (Alabang) and her penchant for the proverbial “finer things in life.”

Trogo calls it "the best pop cultural evidence of generational growth of the Filipino middle class.”

“This is how Andrew E portrays what he thinks means being the pinnacle rich during that time—Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Baskin Robbins, Burger King, credit cards, corrective braces, and mobile phones—almost all of these things are now considered middle class affairs, but at the time, true enough, were well out of a lot of Filipino families' reach.”

He’s right. None of the things mentioned in the song are particularly associated with just rich folk today. Heck, even the most socially disadvantaged living in depressed communities can afford things like flatscreen TVs and mobile phones these days.

“The 30-year economic boom afforded by the growth of OFW remittances, job outsourcing, the IT revolution, and the increasing competitiveness of the semiconductor industry have allowed for a new generation of middle class to arise—a class awash with previously nonexistent purchasing power and latent with an appetite for consumer goods and services.

“This in turn fueled the growth of retail, services, importation, and manufacturing that provided a healthy enough ecosystem to attract further investment into the industries, leading up to where we are today.”

Trogo’s point is clear: items that were once regarded as “luxury”—what Andrew E. considered posh and what he associated exclusively with the affluent—are now so common that they’ve lost their luster as status symbols. Growth in income and spending power, according to Trogo, also contributed to more people eventually being able to afford these so-called “luxury items.”

Who knows? The things we think are lavish and out-of-reach today—electric or hybrid cars, foie gras, trips to Boracay or Palawan—may be considered ordinary, perhaps even cheap, in another 30 years.

“Andrew E. likely never had economics in mind when he wrote his song, but it accidentally became a time capsule of sorts that offers us a snapshot of how big of a difference a matter of 30 years can make.

“Yeah, Alabang Girls."

What do you think?

Jethro Trogo
    about 2 years ago
    The best pop cultural evidence of generational growth of the Filipino middle class is Andrew E's rap song Alabang Girls. The song was released 30 years ago and describes a stereotypical rich girl.

This is how Andrew E portrays what he thinks means being the pinnacle rich during that time - Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Baskin Robbins, Burger King, credit cards, corrective braces, and mobile phones - almost all of these things are now considered middle class affairs, but at the time, true enough, were well out of a lot of Filipino families' reach.

The 30-year economic boom afforded by the growth of OFW remittances, job outsourcing, the IT revolution, and the increasing competitiveness of the semiconductor industry have allowed for a new generation of middle class to arise - a class awash with previously nonexistent purchasing power and latent with an appetite for consumer goods and services.

This in turn fueled the growth of retail, services, importation, and manufacturing that provided a healthy enough ecosystem to attract further investment into the industries, leading up to where we are today.

In the 30 years since the song has been released, the growth in income and spending power has allowed an unheard of number of families to jump economic classes and bring the bar of access lower for once luxury items to become middle class expenses.

Economic growth is slow and steady and can be quite hard to feel and observe without the correct perspective and data - no different from how plants and trees grow but occasionally we get reminders of how far we've gotten.

Andrew E likely never had economics in mind when he wrote his song, but it accidentally became a time capsule of sorts that offers us a snapshot of how big of a difference a matter of 30 years can make.

Yeah, Alabang Girls.
    Last edited by _Cathy_; August 14th, 2022 at 06:16 PM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    tapos naiinis mga sosy sa mga bagong asenso haha

dahil mga bagong asenso walang pedigree

may pera pero walang breeding

kaya may class warfare which i've been pointing out sa mga election thread

rockwell class vs the sm class

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the original meaning of middle class,
    you're not royalty, nor are you serf or peasant..
    "you're in the middle."
    hence the term.
    la lang.

nowadays,
    wee have sub-classes of middle class.
    lower middle class,
    upper middle class,
    and the middle middle class.

what i see, is not the re-arrangement of middle class.
    what i see, is the increased ready availability of goods, and using this affordable availability as part of the definition.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 14th, 2022 at 07:23 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    when this song came out only the rich can afford to carry mobile phones so it's a "status symbol" at that time.[emoji16]

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    the original meaning of middle class,
    you're not royalty, nor are you serf or peasant..
    "you're in the middle."
    hence the term.
    la lang.

nowadays,
    wee have sub-classes of middle class.
    lower middle class,
    upper middle class,
    and the middle middle class.

what i see, is not the re-arrangement of middle class.
    what i see, is the increased ready availability of goods, and using this affordable availability as part of the definition.
    Doc nung 90s travel abroad, nice cars and designer items were considered luxury. Now it's not.

Who makes me cringe so much? Yung internet rich Zeinab and her BF and all their posse. Poster couple ng tacky. I don't even want to know them but they've practically become household names The likes of them ruined a lot of brands

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    It's true. I think the middle class grew a lot in the 2000s

Just a moment...

I removed the quote so it's easier to read:

It can sometimes be tricky to understand macro-economic concepts. We hear the terms GDP, inflation, debt and recession, among others, but many of us can’t really make sense of them and how they relate to us directly.

A Facebook user tried a more practical approach to help people understand at least one of these economic concepts. To illustrate the exponential growth of the middle class and purchasing power of the ordinary Filipino over the past 30 years, Jethro Trogo posted a status update using the lyrics of Andrew E’s song “Alabang Girls” as an example.

The song came out in 1992 and was part of Andrew E's extensive oeuvre from the era. It was a big radio hit, so much so that it was eventually turned into a movie, which featured the singer in the lead role, of course.

If you have trouble remembering the song, or have never heard of it at all, here’s a refresher:

And here are the full lyrics of the song:

S'ya'y isang girlie na mahilig mag-beach (yeah)
    Mataas ang kanyang level at hindi mo siya ma-reach (uh-huh)
    Taga-Forbes, taga-Dasma, ang hilig n'yang ka-mingle (really?)
    Wala lamang mayaman 'pag ang ere n'ya, nag-jingle (uh)

Silang mga babae na bihirang ngumiti (ooh)
    Walang kaguhit-guhit ang kanyang binti (is that so?)
    Walang kaduda-duda, porselana'ng kanyang face (oh)
    At 'pag s'ya'y ngumiti, up and down ang kanyang brace (say what?)

Kung, kung, kung s'ya'y pagmamasdan, s'ya'y cool na cool (cool)
    Mas cooler pa sa water ng kanyang swimming pool (hm-mm)
    At 'pag s'ya'y kausap na, malakas ang dating (oh)
    Fav'rite hamburger, Burger King or nothing (nothing else)

Ang gusto n'ya, Kellogs, ayaw n'ya, Cheese Curls (that's true)
    'Pag s'ya ay nag-party, suot na ang kanyang pearls (uh-huh)
    Imposibleng hinding-hindi mo s'ya papansinin (why?)
    'Pag nakita mo s'yang sakay ng kanyang limousine

Palagi n'yang hawak, kanyang cellular phone (really?)
    Pabrika at kumpanya, things they own (oh, my God)
    Baskin Robbins ang kanyang ice cream (what's that?)
    At s'ya'y nagba-ballet pagdating ng dilim (oh)
    Puro credit cards at wala s'yang cash (wow)

Laging kinu-curl ang kanyang eyelash (disgusting)
    Kapag s'ya'y nasa mall, mga heads ay nagtu-twirl (really?)
    Iba talaga'ng dating, ang galing ng Alabang Girl (yeah)

In a nutshell, the song talks about a well-off woman living in a swanky part of town (Alabang) and her penchant for the proverbial “finer things in life.”

Trogo calls it "the best pop cultural evidence of generational growth of the Filipino middle class.”

“This is how Andrew E portrays what he thinks means being the pinnacle rich during that time—Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Baskin Robbins, Burger King, credit cards, corrective braces, and mobile phones—almost all of these things are now considered middle class affairs, but at the time, true enough, were well out of a lot of Filipino families' reach.”

He’s right. None of the things mentioned in the song are particularly associated with just rich folk today. Heck, even the most socially disadvantaged living in depressed communities can afford things like flatscreen TVs and mobile phones these days.

“The 30-year economic boom afforded by the growth of OFW remittances, job outsourcing, the IT revolution, and the increasing competitiveness of the semiconductor industry have allowed for a new generation of middle class to arise—a class awash with previously nonexistent purchasing power and latent with an appetite for consumer goods and services.

“This in turn fueled the growth of retail, services, importation, and manufacturing that provided a healthy enough ecosystem to attract further investment into the industries, leading up to where we are today.”

Trogo’s point is clear: items that were once regarded as “luxury”—what Andrew E. considered posh and what he associated exclusively with the affluent—are now so common that they’ve lost their luster as status symbols. Growth in income and spending power, according to Trogo, also contributed to more people eventually being able to afford these so-called “luxury items.”

Who knows? The things we think are lavish and out-of-reach today—electric or hybrid cars, foie gras, trips to Boracay or Palawan—may be considered ordinary, perhaps even cheap, in another 30 years.

“Andrew E. likely never had economics in mind when he wrote his song, but it accidentally became a time capsule of sorts that offers us a snapshot of how big of a difference a matter of 30 years can make.

“Yeah, Alabang Girls."

What do you think?
    Which kind of flies in the face of Andrew E's benefactor's claim of a Golden Age pre-1986.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    The likes of them ruined a lot of brands

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    talaga?
    were they sued by the brands that they ruined?
    baka naman, perception lang yan at hindi naman talaga na-sira ang brands...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BratPAQ View Post
    when this song came out only the rich can afford to carry mobile phones so it's a "status symbol" at that time.[emoji16]
    I still remember yung mobile phones na yung battery halos kasing laki ng battery ng car. My successful Uncle had that, we were in awe. hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    Which kind of flies in the face of Andrew E's benefactor's claim of a Golden Age pre-1986.
    small circle ang mayayaman that time

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    ... puro credit cards at walang cash...

that's not rich!
    that's... mis-guided optimism!
    heh heh.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    talaga?
    were they sued by the brands that they ruined?
    baka naman, perception lang yan at hindi naman talaga na-sira ang brands...
    I mean they made the brands tacky

True story doc, I was in the mall with my shopaholic friend and I asked her if she wanted to go to X store. She said no because X brand e favorite ng mga (can't say the word here haha). then a group of loud girls wearing X brand passed by, nagkatinginan kami and I said to her "spot on" So some people have stayed away from brands they deem have become tacky. I think that's the reason why some brands are raising their prices to trim their customer base further. Hindi talaga maalis na some people like exclusivity. That friend of mine, she comes from a good background, the type that a man's mother would approve of, pero yun lang she's a closeted snob (and I think a lot of people are!)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast