New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    with the recent update of roadguide map can anyone give a review which map (roadguide or OSM) is best to use? we're planning to buy the nuvi760 this weekend.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I am using OSM on my nuvi260w and have no issues with it.... Very useful!

9808:goodluck:

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbry View Post
    with the recent update of roadguide map can anyone give a review which map (roadguide or OSM) is best to use? we're planning to buy the nuvi760 this weekend.
    I find OSM better than the updated roadguide basic map. Here are some of the advantages:
    1. OSM map is more detailed.
    2. You can download an updated map daily (workdays only).
    3. Contributing to OSM is easy, you just need an account and a web browser.
    It doesn't matter if you contribute or not you can still download the same version of the map.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

^^^ Agree with you bro. Contribution and getting certified to roadguideph is not straightforward and therefore, you get only the "bare maps".... So, OSM is better in that respect...

9808:goodluck:

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roninxt View Post
    I find OSM better than the updated roadguide basic map. Here are some of the advantages:
    1. OSM map is more detailed.
    2. You can download an updated map daily (workdays only).
    3. Contributing to OSM is easy, you just need an account and a web browser.
    It doesn't matter if you contribute or not you can still download the same version of the map.
    thanks for the info, sir.
    any idea saan meron available na nuvi760 dito sa atin?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It's great that there is an alternative to roadguides.ph's version. A little competition is always helpful. In fact, I have both maps and my only major pet peeve with the OSM version is the routing. It is really messed up. I would guess that the "metrics" used on the OSM map for the streets aren't properly configured, wrecking havoc to Garmin's routing algorithm.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It's great that there is an alternative to roadguides.ph's version. A little competition is always helpful. In fact, I have both maps and my only major pet peeve with the OSM version is the routing. It is really messed up. I would guess that the "metrics" used on the OSM map for the streets aren't properly configured, wrecking havoc to Garmin's routing algorithm.
    I also want to buy a GPS and install it in my car, but guys is it really worth it? i mean is it really functional? or just another decoration in the car?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TholitzReloaded View Post
    I also want to buy a GPS and install it in my car, but guys is it really worth it? i mean is it really functional? or just another decoration in the car?
    If you seldom go out of your daily route from home to the office and vice versa, then this is probably not for you. But for instances wherein you need to go somewhere unfamiliar, they're well worth the investment. Once you've driven using it, you'll never want to drive without it.

The system is not yet bulletproof, however. There may be places or streets that may not be marked correctly or not marked at all or getting routed to less-desirable roads, among other problems. But as as long as the contributions/corrections come in, you'll see less and less of the problems on every map version release.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Can I contribute if I don't have yet a GPS? Nagpabili pa lang kase ako sa US so it take a month/s before dumating dito.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

It is very functional in my case, especially when driving in unfamiliar roads.... Here are some examples:

1. When driving along Marcos Hiway going down from Baguio at night,- I know for certain that the road is straight and it provides me with a good overtaking opportunity when following a slower vehicle.

2. When driving in a stretch of road at night when I cannot seem to find someone to ask for directions. I know where I am and where I am heading.

3. When approaching a turn or a fork on the road,- it reminds me that I need to turn left or right a few hundred meters before the intersection/fork, so I need not overtake.

10.1K:mop:

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Review for Garmins GPS w/ Philippine Maps