New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Whatever you get do not use Long Life type bulbs. They have less light output but longer life (hence the name).

Kung plastic yung lens mo (katukin mo) see if plastic cleaners work. I used Meguiar's PlastiX.

Without knowing the condition of your car, how high your overwattage lights will go, I advised to replace the alternator with a higher one. But like somebody mentioned you can choose not to, but for peace of mind, why not? After all that's what you're aiming for when driving at night di ba?

By the way would you happen to know if the driverside headlamp has been replaced? That looks like it's for a RHD country with the beam cutoff on the left side, not on the right side as it should be. You can confirm this if you park against a wall and take a pic of the beam pattern it throws out. It should be __/ __/ but yours could have __ __/ if the left side only has been replaced? I ask because this will not help solve your problem because it illuminates the oncoming side of traffic, instead of the shoulder of the road. Then installing overwattage bulbs might actually glare them even more. Just a precaution on your part.
    wow very informative sir! lagi kasi sinasabi ng bro ko na hindi pantay ilaw ko kasi __/ __/ buga niya tama pala

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mackkcam View Post
    *mbeige
    yes, napncn ko nga rin na _ ung nsa driver side, parang ganito ung nakita ko dati _ /, un ung problem nung passenger side na HL sabog sya for short.. sabay sabay ko kasing ipapagawa yan (assembly for the passenger side HL change to bnew, Change Bulbs and alignment so dapat ang alaignment is _/_ganyan ba?

hindi naman cguro masakit kung 80+ lng ung wattage ng bulbs nakknin ko, may marerecommend ka ba na brand (and also the Model) of the Bulbs? Ok sana kung same color ng Stock ng honda na bulb, pero mas bright...

Add: mas better if I change the Pair na kaya? para atleast same sila na bnew?
    Change the pair for peace of mind, yes same na brand new.

The light pattern should be __/ __/

Make sure the headlamps have the lens pattern with the diagonal on the left side, so that the beam cutoff will be on the right side (remember the headlamps work through a single point so everything is reversed. The key to this pattern is to illuminate the immediate foreground right in front of your vehicle, a bit to the left side, and the beam cutoff on the right side is for illuminating the sidewalk, road signs, etc that may be hard to see. This also allows you to prevent glare to oncoming drivers by having no beam cutoff on the left.

Look at these two pics. The standard headlamp of sealed beam (1) vs H4 bulbs with correct lenses (2). Imagine you're driving and this is the beam pattern the headlamps throw in front of the car. Notice how the 2nd one has more foreground light and illumination to the right side, while at the same time preventing glare on the left side.

Both are on low beam but look at the difference the H4 with the correct lenses (Cibie) deliver.

Read all about it here:

http://dastern.torque.net/Photometry/575.html#SEALED

Look at mine, the cutoff is on the left side, car's point of view (right side in the pic)

No wonder hirap na hirap ka! Your headlamps aren't the correct type (should be for driving on the left side of the road). Plus your right side is sabog like you said.

Just get a brand new pair just make sure correct type na siya and then aim them properly. Osram bulbs are good, there are numerous threads about Osram all-weather types. They're not the white type of light you see but the standard color. This is good for wet conditions. The white bulbs make it harder for you because our eyes cannot process the bluish tint as easy as it can the yellow/standard bulb colors.
    Last edited by mbeige; September 8th, 2007 at 03:10 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Ic, blocked sa office ung image mo eh, check ko sa bahay mmya,

Ok ba Osram Silverstars? 55/60 ba un? or 80++?? anu kulay ng light na un? hb4 un di bah? check ko na rin sa net

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    There can be many types of bulbs. Check which is for your car and get the one that has your desired wattage and color. All-weather is standard color, maybe a bit more yellow than normal but that's good for the rainy season.

The 80++ are sometimes a myth!!! You might be buying a standard wattage bulb but it throws out light output "comparable to 80W" or something to that effect. Make sure it says the correct wattage on the base of the bulbs!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    im planning on getting the narva 85 watt all weather h1's for my fozzie but leaning more towards the narva 110 watts all weather. harness and relay kit is a must of course but im a bit concerned if the 110 watts might burn my lenses?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If you have metal reflectors, you should be fine. Same with glass lenses. If you have the plastic lenses, you will eventually burn them too with those 110W bulbs.

The housing is another matter altogether. If it's plastic get ceramic sockets. Surely the lock rings for the bulbs might burn eventually.

Why not just stick with the 85W? Aren't they enough? I have stock lights on mine and have no problems driving. The only problem I have is with our '90 300TE with the US lights that throw a broad beam of light in front just like fog lamps! Stupid if you ask me, I have a hard time with that and converting to Euro lamps is much more expensive because I can't just swap in E-code type lenses like what I did in my w123 US version (with the Bosch lens pictured above).

Look at how poorly made the aftermarket headlamps can be. These are Depo headlamps on a w203 C class look at the area right in front of the projector lens there's some burning from the reflected light!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    ^^Damn i thought Depo's are better now well maybe iim wrong hehe..

i'll probably have to settle with 85W that goes with the harness and heavy duty sockets. i haven't talked to daniel stern yet if he has a harness available for h1's.

Obviously, i don't want to go to the HID route that's why i wanted to try out the 110W bulbs. BTW, im getting all weather bulbs for my 9006 foglamps i'll probably staying with stock wattage on those. My 9005 high beams looks fine to me or should i get another pair like the +50 or +30 clear narva's?

ko hahanap paring orig. LHD lights for my JDM lite... yung last model na nilabas dito, hirap maghanap ng LH-surplus...

as for bulbs-->im still using my 10-year old philips crystal vision na galing pa sa nissan maxima ng mom ko...60/55 lang, pero 110/100w output..

i prefer to buy branded halogens than those china brands(type-r/etc.) na nabibili mo sa ace... IPF/ original RAYBRIG (daming fake raybrigs) will last long...and di mo na kailangan palitan pa housing mo..if you are willing to spend 10K on HID-kit, 3-5 thou lang naman ang IPF/japan-raybrig/CATZ halogen bulb set....

pero have your headlight cleaned na muna, baka kailangan lang ng linis...shop ni sir impulzz & theveed, alam ko naglilinis kayo ng headlights right?

alternator--kung yung mga sinabi kong bulbs gagamitin mo, di na kailangan.. ang mahirap pa sa mumurahing "performance" bulb madaling pumutok! nakailan na yung kia pride ni mom,e...

sockets--kung yung mga tinukoy kong bulbs ang gagamitin mo, ok na din yang stock system..

another cheap good halogens are NARVA and WURTH...but IPF, japan-RAYBRIG, CATZ are the best performance halogen around...above the quality of most taiwan/china HIDs [a..

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HyBrideVo View Post
    ^^Damn i thought Depo's are better now well maybe iim wrong hehe..

i'll probably have to settle with 85W that goes with the harness and heavy duty sockets. i haven't talked to daniel stern yet if he has a harness available for h1's.

Obviously, i don't want to go to the HID route that's why i wanted to try out the 110W bulbs. BTW, im getting all weather bulbs for my 9006 foglamps i'll probably staying with stock wattage on those. My 9005 high beams looks fine to me or should i get another pair like the +50 or +30 clear narva's?
    Depo lights are supposedly good, for aftermarket lights. Email Daniel Stern, he's very comprehensive with his replies. Just make sure you fill him in with the specifics like what car, year and model, environment you mostly drive in, etc. so he can advise you properly.

All weather bulbs for fog lamps are good, some prefer selective yellow light; either way is fine. Fog lamps can also be aimed, by the way. You could try the +50 or +30 Narva bulbs, essentially the brand doesn't matter between Narva, Philips, Osram, etc like Daniel Stern mentioned (under products --> bulbs) because they're more or less similar.

I'm running Hella stock wattage H4 lamps on my H4 conversions. Masmaganda pa buga ng ilaw ng '83 300D ko kaysa sa '90 300TE for the reason that the lens has a great design to throw the beam of light at the right areas where it's critical. The angle of cut off is just perfect for reflecting street signs on a dark road, lahat hanggang sa next block kita ko on a clear night. This is still with stock bulbs! Of course the roads here are much better than they are there, but that should give a good reference point as to how much more you want to improve your lights and how much is too much.

Yummy is right, avoid the cheap brand bulbs. For peace of mind go with reliable brand names like the ones mentioned above. Hella and Bosch are also good, as are Sylvania bulbs, though I prefer the former to the latter simply because here in the US, Sylvania is under Osram but with a different market, and the Sylvania Silverstars aren't the same Osram Silverstars.

I think the best way to go about with bulbs is to know that they are consumable items and eventually cannot be reused and have to be thrown away. So with that, get cheap, reliable branded name bulbs and from there narrow them down to the wattage, type and color you want (hopefully something that can illuminate something in the rain at least). The reason is that if you get the really expensive ones and they expire sooner than you'd expect, sayang lang nagastos mo kasi they usually won't accept returned bulbs. The key is in both the reflector and refractor/lens of the headlamp assemblies. Newer cars rely on the reflector, while older types rely on the lens for the beam pattern. That's also the reason why I suggested against swapping the crystal headlamp lens (which is just clear) for the housing of the old "frosted" lamp (which is also clear). All you'll get is scattered light akin to the beam pattern from a flashlight. You'll really need one or the other (the refractive lens, or the reflectors from the crystal type headlamp).
    Last edited by mbeige; September 8th, 2007 at 12:06 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    thanks for the much added info mbeige

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Headlight Questions: