New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange
    I have a friend who is in the market for a new car and his choices are the Mazda 6, Pontiac G6, Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion, and Nissan Altima. All would be the V6 variant of the car. I realize that the Pontiac and the Ford probaby isn't sold in the Philippines. I told him if it was my choice I would get the Altima because of the VQ engine, but he is leaning towards the Camry or Pontiac. I don't know why anyone would buy a GM product but he is a GM guy as opposed to me who prefers Ford's(Fix Or Repair Daily). Anyways, as the title say which would you buy?
    Don't diss a GM or any other brand til you've examined and driven one. I was prepared to automatically make fun of the 2006 V6 Sonata until I actually drove one. Now, we own one and seriously considering a 2007 Hyundai Entourage. I've also examined and test driven a Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged sports compact. Whoever says they suck obviously haven't sat in one, much less, driven one.... That car's a hoot to drive.

If he leans towards performance, it'd be the Nissan Altima 3.5 SE or the G6 Coupe GTP (both M/T) for me. If he's willing to wait til Ford updates the Fusion with its new 3.5L 250hp V6, then count in the Fusion as well. The new Camry's also quite fast, even for a A/T. But, it's also the most expensive.

If he leans towards comfort and room, the 2007 V6 Camry followed by the Altima (yep, it's spacious too).

If he's Pinoy, he might as well buy an Altima. So many here own one.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The Saturn may not be in his price range and he is not a Honda fan.
    If the entry level 3.5L 224hp V6 Saturn Aura (starts at $21k) isn't in his price range, then the other V6 cars aren't either. He better set his sights a little lower like maybe 4-banger versions of those sedans or a sports compact instead. Otherwise, he'll have to settle for used V6 sedans.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I'll tell him about the price of the Saturn, I was assuming it was not in his range because he didn't mention it. Is the plastics in Saturn better now? Am not dissing GM but there is a reason they and most domestics can't sell cars in the US, the quality, design, and ergonomics suck. The Cobalt SS may be a hoot to drive now but let's see how it ages in 5 years. As far as Hyundai they are way ahead of GM in quality in new cars. Heck, some magazines have even said that they may be up to Lexus level quality in another 5 to 10 years at the rate they are improving.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I remember one of our subscribers who had a saturn vue or ion and i think they have mentioned they're having problem with their car...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The Cobalt SS may be a hoot to drive now but let's see how it ages in 5 years. As far as Hyundai they are way ahead of GM in quality in new cars. Heck, some magazines have even said that they may be up to Lexus level quality in another 5 to 10 years at the rate they are improving.
    If you take care of the car, then it shouldn't be any problem. We have an almost 12-year old Ford Contour I bought brand new back in late 1994 (see my sig). Supposedly, it's one of the more problematic Fords. Yet, ours didn't give us any problems until finally last year and it turned out, all the problems were normal wear and tear. It still has the original transmission. Replaced some engine gaskets and now, it runs quite well for a 12-year old car, considering I abused the heck out of it. I know friends who have Oldsmobiles, Buicks, and Pontiacs from the same time frame which are still running fine. I'm quite confident the Cobalt SS Supercharged I drove will last way past 5 years.

As for the Hyundai Sonata, it's a delight to drive even though it's considered a "mommy car". My wife is fairly confident about Hyundai now which is why she likes the new Entourage a lot.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    By the way... what's the exact budget that he is working with?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Mazda6.

~its still roomy, but not bulky.
    ~V6 lacks the zoom of the competition but isnt very far behind.
    ~kicks the competition when it comes to cornering
    ~PORMA, 100% pogi points.
    ~priced competitively.

next would be:
    Toyota Camry
    Nissan Altima

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    if new, altima (same vq reason and new platform) or camry (new bolder look, near lexus interior, awesome mpg for a v6).

if used, altima. again, vq.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'd go for the Mazda6, because I like the way you can read the road with it... something not present in most of the other choices. It might be a little too rough on the buttocks for him, though. So he ought to test drive it first.

The Fusion? Why pay more for a more conservative looking 6?

I echo Jun... the Altima is good guns for the money, but it's almost 30k already for the automatic SE, and over 30k for the manual tranny SE-R.

If he really wants the G6, hey, he can get great rebates off of it... it IS a GM. . But as always, he shoudl test drive it first to make sure he's getting what he wants.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    I echo Jun... the Altima is good guns for the money, but it's almost 30k already for the automatic SE, and over 30k for the manual tranny SE-R.
    The manual-tranny Altima 3.5SE is in the region of $24k for a base model V6. It's still a potent sedan for the price and has the most room aside from the Camry. The automatic seems to lose a lot in performance, though (about equal to the performance of or even a little worse than our 3.3L V6 Sonata's).

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Which would you buy?