New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 80
  1. Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    57
    #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    In such a case, why not spend a bit more to get a Subaru XV. It is a much better platform than the Vitara or Kona.

    It will also address your concern about some other rides being underpowered.
    Thanks bro, but that is a bit beyond the budget ceiling of 1.1M
    If I were to spend more, I would rather purchase an Innova 2.8 E but I'm trying to look for some bang for the buck proposals within the stipulated budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cky View Post
    For me po, Vitara GLX. Madaming features. Pinaka magaan compared sa ibang CUVs. Mas mataas ang ground clearance than Kona. Japanese car na made in Europe.
    Hindi po ako expert ha? Hihihihihi Salamat po.
    Ako din naman po. Motor lang ang medyo may alam ako. Salamat sa input, I am seriously thinking of investing on the Vitara in the coming months.

  2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16,521
    #52
    Quote Originally Posted by acunacun View Post
    Sa mga experts natin diyan, pahingi ng payo - between the Vitara GLX and Kona, which is better since their prices are similar?

    Better in terms of after-sales service, availability of parts, fuel consumption and over-all impact. If you had a budget ceiling of no more than 1.1M, which car would you buy? Or is there another car under the same category that you would rather purchase with the aforementioned budget in mind for a family of four?

    Use: short trips from house to office daily as well as trips from Los Baños, Laguna to Caloocan twice a month

    Thank you
    Between the two, I'd get the Vitara. It's pretty feature-packed for its price, and owners' reports have shown that it's a very fuel-efficient crossover.

    The fact that it is selling well compared to the Kona which you can't even see on the roads yet means that parts availability and resale will be easier down the road.

    The boxy styling of the Vitara is pretty nice too, unlike the awkward proportions of the Ecosport or the soft feminine lines of the Juke and Kona.

    The biggest drawback of the Vitara is that it feels cheap. If you're a first-time car owner I doubt you'll notice it, but for me it feels so low-quality compared to the interior of the other sedans I've owned that are within the same price range (Civic, Altis).
    Quote Originally Posted by acunacun View Post
    Thanks for the input Egan101 although I was thinking more on the lines of a crossover or a similarly built unit as the Vitara and Kona as I mentioned on my post. I really am not into sedans.

    I appreciate your suggestions though.
    While I chose the Vitara over the Kona, if I had a 1.1M budget I would definitely go for the Civic. So I ask - why don't you like sedans?

    Is it the ride height? We have an ASX which has about the same ride height as the Vitara and honestly I don't feel that it's much higher than my Civic. In comparison, we have a CRV also and that has the high-riding SUV feeling that most people expect from a crossover. So between an awkward subcompact crossover and a sedan, I'd prefer the sedan.

    Is it flood fording ability? Let me tell you straight that the Vitara can't ford floods any better than an ordinary sedan. Maybe an additional inch or two, but still not something you'd bravely cross knee-high floods with. The only subcompact crossover with flood fording credentials is the Ecosport with its 550mm wading depth. Other crossovers don't have their intakes placed up high so they will easily ingest water just as sedans do.

    Is it space? A compact sedan like the Civic or Altis certainly has more passenger space and a bigger trunk than a Vitara. The only advantage of the Vitara is that it has a wagon body so you can drop the rear seats to load tall cargo. But then again a hatchback like the Jazz or Mazda 3 can do that too.

    Is it ride quality? A true compact crossover like the CRV rides better than a sedan. But a budget subcompact crossover like the Vitara has a bumpier ride because its underpinnings are more similar to a subcompact like the Ciaz. It also has small tires (roughly the same size as a sedan's) so it doesn't have the additional cushioning that bigger crossovers have.

    On the flipside, sedans (the Civic in particular) feel much more premium inside, look better from the outside, and have better ride and handling. And while the Vitara may have more features on the spec sheet, the execution feels much more low-rent compared to the Civic.

    I'm not dissuading you from getting a Vitara, and chances are, you will. Most people especially first time car buyers will fall for the false sense of security that the slightly higher ride height offers. The sales numbers show it too - the Vitara has finally outsold the Civic (1,700 vs 1,100 units for H1 of 2018). I'm just presenting a different perspective.

    The Vitara is a good car with awesome value for money and it somewhat looks like a real SUV. But if I were to do it all over again, I'd still get the Civic. If I really wanted an SUV, I'd save up a little more and consider the discounted outgoing Forester (1.3M) instead.

    Whatever you decide on, as long as you objectively weighed the pros and cons and ultimately went for what your heart longs for and your wallet allows, then that's a good choice. Good luck and enjoy car shopping!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jut703; August 1st, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

  3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    10,583
    #53
    Sad reality is that these small crossovers/MPVs don't match up to the capabilities of the higher tier CUVs. Most of them are not even within the ride quality of compact cars.

    If opting for a capable crossover with a limited budget, same as Jut, go with the Forester base model (2.0i-L). Its discounted price of 1.3M+ is a worthy proposition. You get lots of space, ground clearance, decent handling, AWD capability, and world-class safety features.

    If really sticking with a 1.1M budget, you get a much better ride overall with an Altis or Civic.
    Last edited by Egan101; August 1st, 2018 at 11:36 AM.

  4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    260
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by acunacun View Post
    Sa mga experts natin diyan, pahingi ng payo - between the Vitara GLX and Kona, which is better since their prices are similar?

    Better in terms of after-sales service, availability of parts, fuel consumption and over-all impact. If you had a budget ceiling of no more than 1.1M, which car would you buy? Or is there another car under the same category that you would rather purchase with the aforementioned budget in mind for a family of four?

    Use: short trips from house to office daily as well as trips from Los Baños, Laguna to Caloocan twice a month

    Thank you
    Test drive them both. But my recommendation goes to the Kona if you are fine with the somewhat quirky styling. Otherwise, the essentials are all there and the only thing that I really hate is the cut-down infotainment system - it sticks out like a sore thumb for its class and price point and literally begs to be upgraded.

    After all the verbal arguments, nothing beats a proper test drive. So go na!

  5. Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    57
    #55
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Between the two, I'd get the Vitara. It's pretty feature-packed for its price, and owners' reports have shown that it's a very fuel-efficient crossover.

    The fact that it is selling well compared to the Kona which you can't even see on the roads yet means that parts availability and resale will be easier down the road...

    So I ask - why don't you like sedans?

    Whatever you decide on, as long as you objectively weighed the pros and cons and ultimately went for what your heart longs for and your wallet allows, then that's a good choice. Good luck and enjoy car shopping!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the very detailed response sir. It is my first time buying my own car but my familiy owns a Ford Lynx , Ford Everest, Mazda 2, Toyota Revo and Chery QQ.

    On the issue of sedans, it's just personal preference, without prejudice to functionality, necessity or purpose. I am just one of those people who prefer the looks of SUVs, MPVs and crossovers over sedans. It is subjective more than anything else.

    I've watched and read several reviews of both the Vitara and Kona, and based on those reviews, I am leaning towards the Suzuki since the viable choices for my budget is not that many. (in terms of MPVs and crossovers under 1.1M, that is) The BRV, Xpander and Rush are still at the back of my mind as choices as well.

    I was supposed to purchase the Montero last year but I had to undergo medical treatment for my uric stones, then came the effect of the TRAIN law on vehicles, forcing me to limit my budget and making the price of the Monty a bit unreachable.

    I appreciate your very valuable input as well as your other suggestions for possible choices. The only reason why I am trying to put a ceiling of 1.1M is for me to be able to save for PMS, insurance, out of town expenses vis-a-vis fuel expenses among others. I also don't have any experience with the after-sales services of Suzuki (Vitara), Hyundai (Kona), Honda (BRV) and Mitsubishi (Xpander), thus the need for help and feedback from experts like you, sir.

    Thanks again and God bless.

  6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16,521
    #56
    Quote Originally Posted by acunacun View Post
    Thank you for the very detailed response sir. It is my first time buying my own car but my familiy owns a Ford Lynx , Ford Everest, Mazda 2, Toyota Revo and Chery QQ.

    On the issue of sedans, it's just personal preference, without prejudice to functionality, necessity or purpose. I am just one of those people who prefer the looks of SUVs, MPVs and crossovers over sedans. It is subjective more than anything else.

    I've watched and read several reviews of both the Vitara and Kona, and based on those reviews, I am leaning towards the Suzuki since the viable choices for my budget is not that many. (in terms of MPVs and crossovers under 1.1M, that is) The BRV, Xpander and Rush are still at the back of my mind as choices as well.

    I was supposed to purchase the Montero last year but I had to undergo medical treatment for my uric stones, then came the effect of the TRAIN law on vehicles, forcing me to limit my budget and making the price of the Monty a bit unreachable.

    I appreciate your very valuable input as well as your other suggestions for possible choices. The only reason why I am trying to put a ceiling of 1.1M is for me to be able to save for PMS, insurance, out of town expenses vis-a-vis fuel expenses among others. I also don't have any experience with the after-sales services of Suzuki (Vitara), Hyundai (Kona), Honda (BRV) and Mitsubishi (Xpander), thus the need for help and feedback from experts like you, sir.

    Thanks again and God bless.
    It seems that you're pretty decided on the Vitara already. Go for it.

    I'm also impressed that you have the discipline to stick within budget. I've seen way too many cases of people buying more than they can afford, with some ending up having their cars repossesed.


    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,236
    #57
    Quote Originally Posted by acunacun View Post
    Thank you for the very detailed response sir. It is my first time buying my own car but my familiy owns a Ford Lynx , Ford Everest, Mazda 2, Toyota Revo and Chery QQ.

    On the issue of sedans, it's just personal preference, without prejudice to functionality, necessity or purpose. I am just one of those people who prefer the looks of SUVs, MPVs and crossovers over sedans. It is subjective more than anything else.

    I've watched and read several reviews of both the Vitara and Kona, and based on those reviews, I am leaning towards the Suzuki since the viable choices for my budget is not that many. (in terms of MPVs and crossovers under 1.1M, that is) The BRV, Xpander and Rush are still at the back of my mind as choices as well.

    I was supposed to purchase the Montero last year but I had to undergo medical treatment for my uric stones, then came the effect of the TRAIN law on vehicles, forcing me to limit my budget and making the price of the Monty a bit unreachable.

    I appreciate your very valuable input as well as your other suggestions for possible choices. The only reason why I am trying to put a ceiling of 1.1M is for me to be able to save for PMS, insurance, out of town expenses vis-a-vis fuel expenses among others. I also don't have any experience with the after-sales services of Suzuki (Vitara), Hyundai (Kona), Honda (BRV) and Mitsubishi (Xpander), thus the need for help and feedback from experts like you, sir.

    Thanks again and God bless.
    Not open to getting used units? There are many low mileage 2016 and 2017 SUVs for sale. They have gone through the harsh initial depreciation already but are still fairly new. In my experience, a typical well maintained Japanese car will not give you any problems for at the very least the first ten years of its life. In fact, that 1 or 2 years difference with a brand new unit now will hardly matter anymore when the time comes to sell the car.

    If I were you, I also wouldn't want to settle for something lesser when I already had my eyes on something I really want.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

  8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,029
    #58
    IMO.

    Civic - daily driver and you intend to replace it 5-15 years later (resale value will be good)

    Vitara - daily driver, you need the ground clearance, you know a little trouble shooting (for after warranty, outside service center repairs), you don't care about resale value - I have 2 ex colleagues who use the old Vitara, they have no plans to sell the car. No issues so far, but they know selling it will be challenging

    Kona - maybe you're Korean, work in the Korean Embassy or own a Korean resto/supermarket! - I know it looks great, but I'm afraid of support (casa and outside) and resale... Company car and wala kang ilalabas na pera?

    I know resale value might not be an issue to most guys. You buy a car with your heart! But in reality, medyo masakit kung inalagaan mo ng husto yung car tapos when it's time to sell, babaratin lang ng buyers since it's not common brand.

  9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,536
    #59
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I know resale value might not be an issue to most guys. You buy a car with your heart! But in reality, medyo masakit kung inalagaan mo ng husto yung car tapos when it's time to sell, babaratin lang ng buyers since it's not common brand.
    There is such a thing as too common din. When we sold our 40k mileage 2011 Vios E AT binabarat din kami dahil they're very common sa OLX and used car lots

    BTT:

    Have you tried the Soul? Buhay pa ba Kia PH? We were considering the Soul before pero medyo turn off nga ang interior and downgraded HU even with the TOTL model. The diesel was quiet though. Not sure lang how long their DCT will last.

    Ssangyong recently updated their Tivoli and they have models that have gas and diesel engines. Free 3-year PMS pa.

  10. Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    57
    #60
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    It seems that you're pretty decided on the Vitara already. Go for it.

    I'm also impressed that you have the discipline to stick within budget. I've seen way too many cases of people buying more than they can afford, with some ending up having their cars repossesed.


    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Salamat po. I just want to have more than enough money in my pocket when the rainy season comes, so to speak.

    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Not open to getting used units? There are many low mileage 2016 and 2017 SUVs for sale. They have gone through the harsh initial depreciation already but are still fairly new. In my experience, a typical well maintained Japanese car will not give you any problems for at the very least the first ten years of its life. In fact, that 1 or 2 years difference with a brand new unit now will hardly matter anymore when the time comes to sell the car.

    If I were you, I also wouldn't want to settle for something lesser when I already had my eyes on something I really want.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Salamat po
    I probably will consider getting a previously owned car only if I know the owner personally or a friend can vouch on behalf of the owner, if only to get my desired SUV. May mga tao nga lang po na ang gusto ay amoy ng bago - isa po ako sa mga taong ganun hehe.

    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    IMO.

    Civic - daily driver and you intend to replace it 5-15 years later (resale value will be good)

    Vitara - daily driver, you need the ground clearance, you know a little trouble shooting (for after warranty, outside service center repairs), you don't care about resale value - I have 2 ex colleagues who use the old Vitara, they have no plans to sell the car. No issues so far, but they know selling it will be challenging

    Kona - maybe you're Korean, work in the Korean Embassy or own a Korean resto/supermarket! - I know it looks great, but I'm afraid of support (casa and outside) and resale... Company car and wala kang ilalabas na pera?

    I know resale value might not be an issue to most guys. You buy a car with your heart! But in reality, medyo masakit kung inalagaan mo ng husto yung car tapos when it's time to sell, babaratin lang ng buyers since it's not common brand.
    I like what you said about the Kona. I plan to love the car, whatever model it is, until it dies a natural death or is ready to be used in an explosion scene for an action film.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Vitara GLX vs Kona vs Civic 1.8E CVT