New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In other countries they do have a factory turbo Focus... the Focus ST! They borrowed the S40 T5's turbocharged 2.5L engine and shoved it to a 3-door Focus. It is good for around 220hp.

IMO - the Focus, MZ3, MZ6 doesn't sound turbocharged to me though. Engine is quite noisy though compared to others.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's the "sporty sound"... hehe. The Lynx's engine is pretty growly, too, even on the 1.6.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ferdine View Post
    You said "in general" so I would say, just IMHO, the future is i-VTEC. It is in constant development because of widespread tinkering by independent tuners. Parang de-facto sa mga variable valve timing. Honda will be driven more to advance the technology because of wider following among enthusiasts. They were the first to introduce it commercially in mass market so they have the advantage.

I've seen a video lately with a K20 smoking an EVO. Medyo controversial but I liked what I saw. Afterall, Honda still rules in F1. Not Toyota, Midland, or Aguri.
    i-VTEC is the future? Then how do they explain the dismal gas mileage of 2.0 Accords and CR-Vs?

About the K20 vs. Evo, I suspect the Evo guy didn't properly launch the car. There's an ideal way to do that, which requires some getting used to. Your usual plug-and-play Hondas are very easy to get off the line.

Finally, Honda may have won the Hungarian GP, but 99% of it is simply out of luck. Schumacher, Alonso and Raikkonen had DNFs, otherwise one of them would easily taken victory over Button. If you may argue that Honda leads all the other Japanese makers in F1, that's because they simply have to pick up BAR left off when they were bought out. Honda only had to work with engines during their partnership; BAR took care of the chassis. And I believe Toyota have the better engine, more durable and faster top speed. It's just that they can't come up with a chassis that's good enough to win races yet.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    hehe.. mas maingay nga siya, but I like that Jet alike noise... yung whistle sound... I prefer that noise than a Modified Exhaust noise...

I really Love F1, but can't relate F1 to actual cars kasi it's a Semi-Automatic like a Playstation Gran Turismo 4 M/T mode botton, plus the steering is rectangle. :lol:

mas nakaka relate pa yung World Rally.

ofcourse, a lot of respect to Honda. and recently more respect to Nissan. when I watched the Tokyo drift, Initial D and Drift Bible By DriftKing (Keichi Tsuchiya) I used to hate nissan's exhaust sound kasi eh...

and we can't base 100% on the engine in races, it's not always the ride, it's the rider. hehe... :lol:

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    RE: Honda and F1. F1's relation to actual road engines is very very tenuous. There's as much F1 in any Honda as there is an a Toyota Hiace.

That said, Jenson finished pretty well in Turkey, too. Honda's F1 package is very good, and after their stumble last year, they can only go up. Toyota? They had a pretty good package last year, helped by the tire change rule, but this year, they're middle of the field.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Here's another thread about variable timing wars.

http://asia.vtec.net/side/cyborg/index.html

If you notice, the Corolla Levin is a coupe compared to the other two which are hatchbacks. So it had a slight ballast. It would have matched or bettered the Civic if it were likewise a hatch (not sure if the Corolla Seca had a 20-valve option).

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala View Post
    i-VTEC is the future? Then how do they explain the dismal gas mileage of 2.0 Accords and CR-Vs?

About the K20 vs. Evo, I suspect the Evo guy didn't properly launch the car. There's an ideal way to do that, which requires some getting used to. Your usual plug-and-play Hondas are very easy to get off the line.

Finally, Honda may have won the Hungarian GP, but 99% of it is simply out of luck. Schumacher, Alonso and Raikkonen had DNFs, otherwise one of them would easily taken victory over Button. If you may argue that Honda leads all the other Japanese makers in F1, that's because they simply have to pick up BAR left off when they were bought out. Honda only had to work with engines during their partnership; BAR took care of the chassis. And I believe Toyota have the better engine, more durable and faster top speed. It's just that they can't come up with a chassis that's good enough to win races yet.
    He-he-he-he-he-,...:clap: :clap: i-vtec pa rin!!!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ferdine View Post
    He-he-he-he-he-,...:clap: :clap: i-vtec pa rin!!!
    care to explain why?

or how i-vtec works?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    what i've heard (but i'm no expert) is that i-VTEC is actually inferior to the older VTEC in terms of performance, it'sreally more geared for economy.

although i don't see why people get all worked up about VTEC in general. VTEC is primitive technology! having only a few discrete cam profiles. Porsche Variocam and BMW VANOS are both far more sophisticated.

or maybe Honda fanboys are just.. Honda fanboys.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    what i've heard (but i'm no expert) is that i-VTEC is actually inferior to the older VTEC in terms of performance, it'sreally more geared for economy.

although i don't see why people get all worked up about VTEC in general. VTEC is primitive technology! having only a few discrete cam profiles. Porsche Variocam and BMW VANOS are both far more sophisticated.

or maybe Honda fanboys are just.. Honda fanboys.
    Orly... i-VTEC is the next evolution of the VTEC3 & SOHC VTEC.

while the old VTEC only has cam-changing, the "i" adds variable cam-phasing to the intake valves.

with this it actually improves the powerband of the engine (notably torque output), giving the engine much better response even at low-rpm situations.

and yes... VTEC has just two cam profile. nothing spectactular. once the rpm hits 5000rpm (and assuming that there is enough oil pressure & a warm engine) it'll change to the more aggressive cam.

as for the comparison with the DOHC VTEC... well... the DOHC VTEC does have a higher hp output but at the expense of a gutless torque output plus it won't pass current & future emmission standards. I suspect that they toned down the previously very aggresive cam profile of the DOHC VTEC for use in the new R-series (with i-VTEC) engine.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
variable valve engine comparo