New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow3616931 View Post
    Impossible, 4x4 SUV with lockers and mud tires got stuck and overtaken by 4x2 jeepney? Baka naman nilagyan ng kadena gulong or naka lock differential yung jeepney or baka yung SUV open differential lang.
    I believe the most likely reason would be that the jeepney driver simply knows where the rocky parts of the river are considering that it is part of his daily route, and the offroaders went straight to the soft mud.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it's like insurance: you pay good money for it, then pray that you never need of it..
    but it does make you feel better, knowing you have it.
    Last edited by dr. d; March 2nd, 2013 at 02:25 AM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gsprimetime View Post
    I am planning to buy a pickup. Is stability and traction control important? Need some advise please.
    there are at least 4 pick-ups you can shortlist in the market, ford ranger, nissan navara, mitsu strada and chevrolet colorado. all have their own safety features. i think to single out just the stability and traction control to limit your selection is not practical. these brands have been plying on our highways and terrains for quite some time now and they've proven their roadworthiness. test drive each one of them, compare their rated engine powers, check their driving and riding comfort, then decide how deep is your pocket...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    it's like insurance: you pay good money for it, then pray that you never need of it..
    but it does make you feel better, knowing you have it.
    Well said dr. D

5. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post
    there are at least 4 pick-ups you can shortlist in the market, ford ranger, nissan navara, mitsu strada and chevrolet colorado. all have their own safety features. i think to single out just the stability and traction control to limit your selection is not practical. these brands have been plying on our highways and terrains for quite some time now and they've proven their roadworthiness. test drive each one of them, compare their rated engine powers, check their driving and riding comfort, then decide how deep is your pocket...
    I wanted the ford ranger they had 5 star safety rating in other countries, I was ready to buy until I found out they took everything out. Strada very fast my wife likes the look but rear passenger protection is not as good as others. Didn't look at Nissan and Chevy. As Dr d says, it's like insurance. Thanks

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Hi, I just got more confused. Anyone know what the moose test is

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsprimetime View Post
    Hi, I just got more confused. Anyone know what the moose test is
    A Moose test is an emergency lane change test. You make a car take an S-turn (suddenly left then suddenly right) at higher and higher speeds until it fails to return to lane on the second turn.

Stability control can help in a moose test, but the flaw in this kind of test is the idea that a normal driver will be able to avoid a moose. Let alone perform the arm-twirling heroics necessary to return the car to its original lane. In most cases, you try to turn and brake and stop instead of trying heroically to merge back into the exact same lane at over 80 km/h! If you're an idiot and do the latter, ala the Moose test, stability control will help. If you're smart and simply swerve and stop, ABS is all you need.

We do something similar with the emergency slalom at the Philippine Car of the Year Tests. In this case, it shows the agility of the vehicle, and its ability to avoid obstacles.

(Despite what it looks like, the Foton is actually performing quite well up there.)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ^Perhaps you can publish the results of the whole battery of COTY-P tests for all vehicles tested instead of just announcing the winners. That'll be a very authoritative reference for the automotive community.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow3616931 View Post
    Impossible, 4x4 SUV with lockers and mud tires got stuck and overtaken by 4x2 jeepney? Baka naman nilagyan ng kadena gulong or naka lock differential yung jeepney or baka yung SUV open differential lang.

Trail/path knowledge my friend.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    ^Perhaps you can publish the results of the whole battery of COTY-P tests for all vehicles tested instead of just announcing the winners. That'll be a very authoritative reference for the automotive community.
    The idea is to hopefully publish a yearbook or an annual. Tech results could be published, if so, but qualitative test results are proprietary and confidential.

I'd imagine each report would read like a market research, without the raw numbers. I'd love to work on such a project.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Is traction control and stability control important?