New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hi Walter, true in a sense... but I believe you are missing the point here.

P600k is not easy money for every one and most consider these cases to be one of the most significant purchases in their lives. Thereby, one would want to maximize the VALUE of their purchase by setting some criteria that are realistic before doing the actual purchase. I believe that the criteria that was set is realistic for that price level that is why I was helping him out to get the best out of his money. Obviously, there are pros and cons with each choice (and the reason why I asked guys here for their inputs and tried to lay-out his criteria clearly, and see if we may have missed out on a better option).

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    Cheap, good quality, plenty of features - pick 2 and what is left is not.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    Hey dreamur, interesting... this seems to be good advice.

But what should be the result if he picks two?

a) cheap with full of features = Mirage(?)
    b) cheap with good quality = Celerio (?)
    c) good quality with full of features = Brio (?)

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by homer jay View Post
    Hey dreamur, interesting... this seems to be good advice.

But what should be the result if he picks two?

a) cheap with full of features = Mirage(?)
    b) cheap with good quality = Celerio (?)
    c) good quality with full of features = Brio (?)
    I would go for the Brio. Peace of mind comes with a price.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Thanks dr. d... also gave the wigo a thought, but it didn't crack the top 3 variants to consider for him. Price is definitely good at 520k (with a T badge pa). However, downpoints for him are: 1) that reviews are saying it isn't as economical as the other hatches; 2) it is not an originally designed car by toyota, but rather a Daihatsu that was just rebadged to Toyota -- so the toyota reliability is a question there; and 3) and although the space is indeed roomy at the back seat, it isn't as flexibly designed unlike the others. Rear seats does not fold flat to the floor, and it is a single bench fold (no 60:40 folding in case you want to sit 3 ppl and still carry big things).
    -Sounds like he wants the Mirage GLS rear seats.
    -Mirage has ABS and EBD
    -MIVEC and electric steering keeps FC low.
    -Rear seats are roomy enough although the rear suspension bottoms out even with just 1 adult passenger.
    - new model is coming out so expect discounts from dealers.
    - cable type ang clutch from what I've heard. Heard some stories of the cable breaking.

Tapatalked

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    ...the 60:40 thing naman isn't an absolute necessity for him, but I believe 60:40 folding is both present sa Mirage and the Celerio. Wala doon sa Brio, but the Brio does fold flat so space can be maximized as well (lesser flexibility nga lang).

I (or my family rather) had personal expierences already in owning a toyota, honda, mitsu, and hyundai... so I am sort of familiar with the ownership experience on 2 of 3 brands being considered (just toyota and honda only for myself though). I haven't though with Suzuki, but had considered before getting an Ertiga. How is the owning experience of a Suzuki? Does anyone here know where they make the Celerios sold here? Is it made in India ba?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Mura ang maintenance ng Suzuki as I owned one.

Punta ka sa respective thread ng Suzuki Celerio and Ertiga at doon na rin sa FB nila

7. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipo View Post
    Mura ang maintenance ng Suzuki as I owned one.

Punta ka sa respective thread ng Suzuki Celerio and Ertiga at doon na rin sa FB nila
    Speaking of fuel efficiency. My Celerio MT gives me 15kms/Liter city driving. Sulit na rin for an entry level car.

Ok din ang hatak at dulo. Twice ko na nadala sa Baguio.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    2) it is not an originally designed car by toyota, but rather a Daihatsu that was just rebadged to Toyota -- so the toyota reliability is a question there;
    The Avanza was also designed by Daihatsu and made in Indonesia.
    Toyota Avanza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of the 3 cars you mentioned...

Only the Celerio and Mirage are "global cars" the Brio is also only available in select regions.

If you'll base the purchase on "reviews" alone... Then the Celerio wins. Mirage has really bad reviews (Europe, Australia, and North America) Top Gear (UK) added it on its list of "The worst cars you can buy right now."

I suggest you test drive all 3 cars... I've been driving for the longest time and ABS is nice to have, but you can live without it! Vios J (630k?) is really a good choice.

If you plan to keep the car for more than 5 years (I personally wouldn't bring the car to the dealer's service center when the warranty ends)... Then the Mirage or anything from Toyota is an excellent choice since you're assured of parts availability from those third party auto-supply.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    At the time it was released, the Mirage was realistically the only game in town. The Celerio was too small, the Picanto and i10 were too expensive (comparatively) and were also small. Granted, the Mirage has sucky steering and a loose (overly soft) suspension, but it was unbeatable in terms of space and economy for the price.

When the Wigo came along, it was still the Mirage with the win. The Wigo MT is merely acceptable in terms of economy, while the AT is a full rung below all the other cars. And build quality is worse than the already tinny and noisy Mirage. The engine is also very rough and unrefined.

The new Celerio changed the equation when it came out. It's got the economy, the quality and the driving dynamics to shame both the Wigo and the Mirage, and the space matches them, too. It also comes fully equipped with alloy wheels, ABS and airbags at just 507k. If you want to spend the bare minimum within the price range, that's it. Want a touchscreen? Just buy one down the road.

The Swift actually sells better. According to a sales rep I talked to, people seem to love the porma, even though the Swift is actually less spacious and practical than the Celerio. But the Celerio's new, rather conservative looks, seem to be hurting it compared to the Swift (that also means you can get discounts and low amortization rates from the dealers, though)

Fuel economy of the Swift is actually pretty good, not Celerio/Mirage league, but getting there. And the 1.2 liter engine is a nice unit. Not as zingy as the Hyundai/Kia 1.2 or Honda 1.3, but more economical. Interior quality is also nice. If you like driving, the Swift is more satisfying to drive than either. Just have to put up with the tiny back seat and trunk.

-

If you're a segurista, though, the Honda Brio is the better option. Economy is somewhat lower (but owners claim it will still crack into the mid-20s on the highway), but you get a lot of power, and Honda seems to have overbuilt the Brio compared to the others in the class. I'm betting it will prove less troublesome in terms of maintenance in the long run... reliable four-cylinder engine that doesn't need valve adjustment, with a smoother idle and more power, to boot. Multi-fan cooling system, full width radiator. Everything else for the money is single fan, with a half-sized radiator. Even the sedans.

The Brio is expensive because Honda spent a lot on mechanicals... and that 100ps engine . So if you value that, it's a good choice. But mind you, it is smaller inside than the others. The back seat is liveable, perhaps a bit better than the Swift, but the trunk is criminally tiny.

-

Wild card: Vios 1.3: Within striking distance of the price range, huge interior, acceptable driving dynamics and ride (not as soft as the old Vios, so you can actually load up the rear seat without it sagging this time around), pogi looks. Fuel economy not as good as these guys... more similar to 1.6 liter compacts (it has a tough time cracking 20 km/l on the highway)... but parts are plentiful, and it should last you a while. Still don't like the carried over single fan set-up from the Gen.2, which seemed to struggle in hot traffic, especially with the automatic transmission (the tranny cooler is attached to the radiator). But with a manual and the new engine tuning, should not be a problem.

-

Hope this helps, at hindi lang pampagulo.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Very nice summary Niky. This is a big help.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast