New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Niky! I was actually hoping that you would post on this topic. Wish granted!

Very helpful indeed. It kinda validates what I was telling my friend. Practicality-wise, definitely would recommend for the Celerio among the three... but Brio and Mirage does have their own selling points. I am telling him though to wait for the MMC of the Vios before he decides... it should happen soon. Hopefully, Toyota will be bringing the new dual vvti 1.3-li engine (sana it won't be just for the 1.5-li variant na merong new engine).

Although I didn't know that the current Vios, as well as the 2nd Gen had only a single fan set-up... had a 1.3 Gen 1 kasi before, and I thought the single-fan setup were only fitted for the A-segment hatches/sedans lang (which is not the case for the Brio, therefore an advantage).

Kris_13, wow... I heard na matipid nga ang Celerio, but didn't know it was diesel-like tipid!

Ice15, thanks for sharing your thoughts! ...on the subject though of ABS, I was telling my friend that I have been driving for more or less 20 years already and I drive almost every day. I would say that I only needed ABS only on 3 or 4 of those driving occasions, but on two of those occasions, my car didn't have ABS (yup, the Vios)... and those two incidences were very memorable to me... laglag puso ko talaga both times when I uncontrollably skidded. Luckily, I didn't get into an accident on both occasions, pero after deciding to sell my car back then, ABS became a necessity for me on the next purchase, better have it when you need it because you will never know when you will need it (mahirap nang makadisgrasya ng pedestrian!).

So far, my friend is yet undecided pa of which car to buy, so baka may time pa sya to stretch that budget to a vios. ;p Hopefully the J variant comes with an ABS package na this time like the Avanza MMC. Should cost a little more that the current J spec, but would be worth it if it had that safety feature.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    wow...nice inputs sir Nicky...I know that I am a bit biased sa Wigo due sa exterior looks and interior space (yan ang selling points niya, and my friend owns one) but celerio is mas OK for me over Wigo and Mirage.

sadly, mas marami pa akong nakikita na new Swift (na wala pang plaka) kaysa sa Celerio dahil siguro sa looks niya.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Nice evaluation.. ang gusto ko sa mirage yung mga modern features niya. Sa brio naman yung engine. Celerio is good pero napaka lapit lang ng price sa swift. Kaya i will select swift than celerio..

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i got a wigo for my first taste of the mini car experience.
    i chose it over the rest, because the "T" badge promises good build quality as well as easy re-sell should i decide to. (toyota owned part of daihatsu, then.)
    but if TS is looking at a long, happier ownership experience, i guess the brio is the better choice. honda used its older, "more traditional", and i guess, proven reliable, engine..

so far, after 2 years, it's been a pleasant experience.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i got a wigo for my first taste of the mini car experience.
    i chose it over the rest, because the "T" badge promises good build quality as well as easy re-sell should i decide to. (toyota owned part of daihatsu, then.)
    but if TS is looking at a long, happier ownership experience, i guess the brio is the better choice. honda used its older, "more traditional", and i guess, proven reliable, engine..

so far, after 2 years, it's been a pleasant experience.
    Sir question lang since na medyo bago ako sa kotse (2years and seven months since i bought my own bnew car) Mas matibay ba talaga ang honda kesa sa ibang brand?

Speaking of Daihatsu, May avanza kami going 10 years na, and yung father ko makulit obsolete 20w50 na oil nilalagay. So far wala pa pinapalitan sa avanza namin, oil, coolant, disk pads, gear oil palang.

I can say matibay ang daihatsu.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kris_13 View Post
    Sir question lang since na medyo bago ako sa kotse (2years and seven months since i bought my own bnew car) Mas matibay ba talaga ang honda kesa sa ibang brand?

Speaking of Daihatsu, May avanza kami going 10 years na, and yung father ko makulit obsolete 20w50 na oil nilalagay. So far wala pa pinapalitan sa avanza namin, oil, coolant, disk pads, gear oil palang.

i'm sorry, but i wouldn't know if honda is matibay or not. i never had one.
    but if i may hazard a guess, the answer is "yes and no", depending on the experience of the person talking. my brother who has one says "it's ok".
    from what my kakilalas who have/had one say, honda parts are kinda "a bit more expensive". casa lang kasi sila nagpapagawa.
    20W50... we grew up on that oil... ano bang oil ang recommendado ng toyota sa avanza engine?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i'm sorry, but i wouldn't know if honda is matibay or not. i never had one.
    but if i may hazard a guess, the answer is "yes and no", depending on the experience of the person talking. my brother who has one says "it's ok".
    from what my kakilalas who have/had one say, honda parts are kinda "a bit more expensive". casa lang kasi sila nagpapagawa.
    20W50... we grew up on that oil... ano bang oil ang recommendado ng toyota sa avanza engine?
    Ang alam ko sir sa modern engines at least 10w40. Pero anyway ok naman di nasisira. Sa celerio ko kasi 5w30 recommended.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kris_13 View Post

Honda it's either/or. If we're talking the CVT in the previous Jazz/City, a lot of people were burned by replacement costs... it's a sealed unit that can only be replaced as a whole. I know people who bought surplus transmissions to replace theirs when they went kaput. Good thing the Brio uses the 5-speed automatic, which is a surer bet in the long term, while still providing decent performance and economy.

Electric power steering, same banana, replace assembly. Not an issue much versus other small cars, since almost everyone uses EPS now.

Our CRV has been a peach over the past few years. It's only in the last year that parts started going. Major complaint is that the AC compressor costs a lot compared to our Crosswind and to sedans. But the engine is still going strong at 180,000 kms. We just had the radiator cleaned out (finally) last month.

With Hondas, as with most cars, you have to know what the common problem areas are... Last-gen CVTs, Accord 5ATs and 4ATs, Accord hydraulic power steering, etcetera... and avoid those. But as for engines, they're tanks. A friend had his Accord's radiator blow its top completely, and the driver drove it dry, but the engine was completely unaffected. If that were my old 626 or a Cefiro, that's goodbye headgasket(s).

Toyotas, somewhat similar, and suspension parts are definitely cheaper, but I'm wary of the 1ZZ engines, as they seem prone to sludge issues.... that said... AVOID ex-taxis like the plague... due to the aforementioned cooling issues on 2nd Gen Vioses... if it's a private unit, it will likely be okay, but an ex-taxi has a good chance of having had the engine opened up for servicing due to the heat.

Other than taxi and airport services, most new engines can do 100,000 kms no sweat and potentially 200,000 kms with no issue if you're a conscientious owner. But EDSA traffic and heat will start killing electronic throttle position sensors and other electronics under the hood between 100-150k on many cheap cars.
    Last edited by niky; April 4th, 2016 at 11:28 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I recommend Suzuki if overall cost is a factor. I have a Swift, and I am surprised how cheap PMS costs are in Suzuki. It only cost me P1.6k for the first 5000 PMS. Not just that, I get an unbelievable 12kms/liter on everyday Edsa traffic. I have so much fun using this, leaving my other cars in the garage more often.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    I recommend Suzuki if overall cost is a factor. I have a Swift, and I am surprised how cheap PMS costs are in Suzuki. It only cost me P1.6k for the first 5000 PMS. Not just that, I get an unbelievable 12kms/liter on everyday Edsa traffic. I have so much fun using this, leaving my other cars in the garage more often.
    i also like suzuki, based on my colleague's performance and maintenance inputs.
    but the passenger space...!! it's so small inside...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123