New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Hi! I am considering to buy a nice second hand car but I am confused between a 1990-92 Mercedes 260E and 1990-94 BMW 525i. Which model would you suggest between the two? What are the pros and cons? Please give me your comments and views for this two models. Thank you very much!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the 90's benz e-class was, imo, one of the best mercedes ever made. absolutely bulletproof internals, very good luxury for its time (and even today), and a solid comfortable ride. styling was a bit bland but still very nice, and very reliable.

the 5-series of the same generation is about the same, but better performance, a sportier ride, and different styling (which is of course, a matter of taste). i think the benzes were a bit more reliable though. i could be wrong.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    either way, you won't go wrong! it's a matter of taste and preferences. I personally prefer bimmers bcoz of its sporty handling and silky smooth vanos engines. Get the 1994 525i if you can bcoz it already has the vanos (bmw's version of the variable valve timing/lift).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup its a matter of preference...mine would be the 260E

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I know brand is important, but don't forget to look at the whole car. I mean, mileage, general condition, car history etc...... For instance, look in the engine bay and look for "bent" frames. Body shops can fix the exterior but often neglect to fix the internal frames. Another tell tail signs are paint colors. Check door sills and frame and see if its not aligned. Is the undpinning of the car a different color that would hide bondo or body work. High mileage and low mileage? Condition of hoses and timing belts. You may have a nice MB on one hand that has either been driven by a house maid or a woman who has'nt changed the oil since they bought it. It may have been used as a service car. Drive it, drive it hard. See if anything breaks away. Check history whether it was a stolen and recovered car, totalled or damaged. You definitely do not want a lemon. Make sure they give you at least 1 year warranty. Good luck!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hmm im leaning towards the merc...the bimmer a close second

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions... BTW. How about availability and price of parts? Estimated fuel consumption? and service centers?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    parts n service are not a problem if ur in metro manila. there are plenty of good euro oem part suppliers n service shops.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mas maraming service options for old benzes than old bimmers i think.

anyway, i'd go for the 525i. it drives really great, and the styling is absolutely classic!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    525i ako.. iba ang bmw.. depende siguro sa kalagayan mo.. ako kasi mejo young pa kaya mas sporty ang gusto ko.hehehe. pag ka tanda ko siguro more on sa 260e ako :D

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Please help! BENZ or BMW??