New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2016
    Best to research on all the issues of the models on your shortlist, not just the features. All these trucks have been around for some time so alam na yung sakit.

Navara has the nagging rear axle seal problem, some have had their rear axles replaced more than once. Meron din kabig to the right issue caused by rack and pinion bushing, proper alignment *might* solve it. This might be due to the bushings being together sa gitna, unlike sa iba na bushings on either side of the steering rack.

It's still a good truck, I feel the VL model is the best value if it's close to the price of the other 4x2 models. Sayang lang they didn't equip it with side and curtain airbags.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Well, if I were in your shoes, I would personally remove the Ranger and DMax from the start.

- Ranger may be good from the start fresh from the dealer, but maintenance is another issue altogether with Ford Service. You may be able to buy parts outside like from shops like MazFord etc, but since you mentioned reliability at top with 10 years being the minimum timeline, I would say this places the Ford in not as favorable positioning given the issues casa serviced Ranger have been posted just here.

- DMAX is older and you won't really need the 3.0 engine plus it is an older design. It will be reliable, but may be overkill for your needs.

So among the remaining contenders, I'd say the Hilux and Navara are the front runner picks.

I'd personally pick the Navara Calibre as it is cheaper than the Hilux by around 200k php given that budget is tight/saving up still. I wouldn't want to overburden the finances if this is the case. And you could use the extra funds you save from the Conquest for maintenance costs and accessory upgrades should you choose from the beginning or at a later date.

However, if the Hulix comes with a good discount that makes the price difference to only around 100k php, then I'd say go with the Hilux.

Brother owns a Hilux 2.4G A/T. I also recommended to get the Navara instead and use the php savings for upgrades if he really wanted to spruce/butch the car up more but he just likes the "T" badge a lot. He has an Altis and Fort already so the brand loyalty runs through his blood really well. hehe! =)

You can't go wrong with either if you were to ask me. Just not sure with the Navara concern about the Rear Axle Seal posted by some owners here.

For the Strada, well, I'm not personally a fan of the exterior and it is the smaller of the three.. I recall it had the shortest bed if you compare them but if you like it more, then it is a Mitsubishi sharing parts with the Montero. I don't think it will be an issue when it comes to repairs.
    Thank you for the very detailed inputs.

I had some time this afternoon listing the features of both Navara 4x4 VL AT and Hilux Conquest 4x2 AT together with their cheaper counterparts (their corresponding website brochures as reference). See here: Pickup Choice Comparo - Google Sheets

It looks like if I choose Hilux it would give me bang for the buck as I will only miss the Smart Entry/ Push Start System.

I have yet to compare the features of Hilux and Navara cheaper counterparts directly. There are some Hilux Conquest small features that I think were clever and should merit to be on the brochures, like the auto power-up-down feature on all windows while it is only present on the driver side for Navara.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    You can upgrade the hilux suspensions.. the nissans steering cant be upgraded.. that's the only issue I see with nissan. Hilux din ako..and 2nd would be the new dmax..
    Ah, kung andiyan yung new DMAX, yes. I agree. Sa Hilux, ang only contention ko talaga is the higher price vs competition. Kaya kung maganda lang discount then Hilux ang #1 pick again, wala na second thoughts. =)
    If they release the DMAX 2020 here in PH before I have the funds ready then I should easily pick DMAX as well. Better interior than the current one (which is plain), better infotainment, better dashboard, etc. I've heard issues on Ranger and Navara but never for Hilux except the usual matagtag complaints (which you can upgrade the suspension as you mentioned), but yeah the initial price tag haha. If I go with the hilux I might use it stock for a year or two to save funds and spend some money for 'hilot' as my body might need some adjustments coming from Zero-Gravity seat feature of Nissan.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleman View Post
    I had a 2012 XLT and sold it November of 2019. I did not experienced any major problem aside from the rear power window and hazard button, but I have it fixed before selling it.

During the 1st 3yrs it's CASA maintained w/c probably averages around 16k every PMS. After the warranty, since my ranger is low mileage 35k km when I sold it, I just have it serviced at SHELL which costs me around 7K pesos for every change oil (FULLY SYNTHETIC) and that's just once a year. I'm quite satisfied with its performance even with a 2.2 displacement, that's also the reason why I replaced it with a Ranger as well but with a 3.2 displacement. Now, my 3.2 is more than 2 years already and I'm still is very much satisfied and I don't have any regrets of buying another ranger as a replacement.

Interior and Exterior looks and quality plus creature comforts was also the main reason I prefer the ranger over the other brands.

I haven't driven the rest on your list, so Goodluck on your choice!
    I'm really easy on my car and a defensive driver. I rarely push the car to its limits so that's why I was considering Ranger as well. I have friends with a Ford Ranger and Everest and they have no complaints so far except for the high maintenance cost, but as you have said, pickups don't have to be regularly maintained (at most twice a year, or once a year for my driving habit).

Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    If i will buy a pick-up hilux will be my #1 choice.. classic design and that T badge! Kahit yung review sa australia ng mga pick up toyota has the highest resale value... kasi matibay talaga.. pero mitsubishi triton yata ang choice nila based on points.. engine and transmission durability.. ang problema nila sa strada yung position ng axle relative to the truck bed.. wala sa gitna kaya prone daw mag break yung chassis kung palaging heavy load.. pero kung daily and slight truck duty panalo ang strada
    I've watched several comparo videos on youtube including the one you mentioned. It was discussed there what upgrades are needed as well. Although I won't be abusing the car on that level and terrain it is good to know the technical aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I've watched this video several times already haha. I've been waiting for AutoDeal's review on the Nissan and Dmax.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2020
    EDIT: Manual yung Sylphy mo ba? Kasi kahit 15kmph, di ako umaabot ng 11km/l. hehe! 1.6CVT akin. =)
    Manual yung sakin. First love at first sight din yung pagkabili ko kay Sylphy. I have decided to purchase Mirage G4 back then but visited a Nissan dealer to check the Sylphy and it was loaded with features and huge space compared to its counterparts on the pricing level, and decided to purchase it instead of the G4. It was worth it! Never had any problems except for the aircon switch #2 losing contacts but it disappeared and fixed itself after some time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakwatsero View Post
    Best to research on all the issues of the models on your shortlist, not just the features. All these trucks have been around for some time so alam na yung sakit.

Navara has the nagging rear axle seal problem, some have had their rear axles replaced more than once. Meron din kabig to the right issue caused by rack and pinion bushing, proper alignment *might* solve it. This might be due to the bushings being together sa gitna, unlike sa iba na bushings on either side of the steering rack.

It's still a good truck, I feel the VL model is the best value if it's close to the price of the other 4x2 models. Sayang lang they didn't equip it with side and curtain airbags.
    I have watched that rack and pinion problem on youtube. I'll check about that nagging rear axle seal issue as well.

An agent demo'd the VL 4x4 features to me and everything was great specially the powered seats and lumbar feature. Does the nagging rear axle seal present on the 4x4 VL versions as well?

The Nissan's Intelligent Mobility (360 cam) isn't really that perfect and mahirap palitan ng aftermarket baka may masira.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Nissan calibre mt user
    Suits my needs

Wait for the new dmax

6. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Hinihintay ko to , tabi ko nalang muna pambili

221 Ford Ranger engine details revealed

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NiCe2KnowU; February 10th, 2020 at 10:13 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Remap/reflash kaagad pag ka release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NiCe2KnowU View Post
    Hinihintay ko to , tabi ko nalang muna pambili

221 Ford Ranger engine details revealed

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
    2.7 ecoboost - head issues
    3.0 powerstroke-seems to have finally fixed crankshafts issues with the F150 hope it stays that way in the ranger.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLZ View Post
    2.7 ecoboost - head issues
    3.0 powerstroke-seems to have finally fixed crankshafts issues with the F150 hope it stays that way in the ranger.
    Both are not gonna be offered in the local market...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Both are not gonna be offered in the local market...
    hoping the new dmax forces them to

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast