New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Hello,

I am planning to buy a car -> Family car... but my budget is tight...
    APV and AVANZA are cheap giving you 8 seater for APV and 7 seater for avanza.

Please give me suggestions which is better the big car APV or the fuel efficient AVANZA? Cons and Pros please also...

And do you have more suggestions that can match for APV and avanza? I mean in the line of cheap big cars...

my budget is only 600k and I am looking for brand new... is there a car that have like apv and avanza? at the average of 600k php?

help me please

Thank You

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    So you're opting for the Type I APV & the Avanza 1.3J.

Hmm, between those two I`d get the Avanza. The Type I APV is just, ehrr ... fugly. The Type II however is bearable. ;)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Vehicle against vehicle, I would go for the APV. The Avanza is very affordable but the fit & finish (like the interior) is very "cheap" and it shows in the quality of the plastics and how it was put together as well.

But I am concerned about the servicing quality of job at Suzuki casa if you choose the APV.

With that in mind, I'd rather go for the Toyota Avanza. At least you know what you are buying into...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    for safety and stability, i'd go with the avanza. The APV is a bit high and narrow and you are sitting on top of the engine with little hood protection for front collision.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shibby75 View Post
    for safety and stability, i'd go with the avanza. The APV is a bit high and narrow and you are sitting on top of the engine with little hood protection for front collision.
    Stability in the Avanza? ... have you driven it yourself?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    I'm an owner of a Type 2 APV SGX A/T and my mom drives a Type 1 APV GLX A/T.

I'm pretty impressed of the quality of both vehicles but even though they are of the same platform, they drive and feel differently.

Both vehicles have great interior materials, but the interior of the Type 2 looks somewhat luxurious while the Type 1 looks more like a commerical vehicle (with fake wood for the now discontinued Type 1 GLX). The Type 2 is also quiet and comfortable inside (with the help of its live axle rear coil springs suspension setup), with good isolation from road noise while the Type 1 is "matagtag" (due to its rear live axle leaf springs suspension setup) and the road noise is louder than the Type 2 making other passengers perceive that the Type 1 is less solid than the Type 2, though its solidness is actually the same because both vehicles are of the same platform.

The exterior styling of the Type 1 is dated and isn't that great, though I like the rear end. The Type 2 looks much better than the Type 1 - it looks somewhat like a JDM-spec minivan.

Fuel consumption of both vans are not that great, but the Type 2 is slightly better. The Type 1 gets around 5.5 km/L in everyday city driving and the Type 2 gets 6 km/L in the same conditions. So if you want to save money on gas, avoid the APV (or maybe buy the manual version, the automatic version is really thirsty).

Stability of both vehicles are actually alright, but don't expect sedan-like stability. Contrary to its height, the APV's center of gravity is actually low because its engine is placed below the driver's seat - which is as high as an average sedan. I did a "slalom" at a parking lot once in my Type 2 and it felt pretty alright.

Regarding Suzuki's after-sales service, I'm satisfied by their speed and quality (Suzuki Auto Manila Bay). Suzuki also offers free 2 year/20,000 km PMS on all their cars so it's an edge for your savings. After 1 year for my Type 2 and 2 years for my mom's Type 1, there are no major headaches experienced yet for both of our cars.

I was also considering the Avanza 1.5G A/T when I was shopping for my car and I find the Avanza's interior materials not great and I do not really like its exterior styling. Also, I find the Avanza too small for our Sunday family outings.

So if you like fuel-efficiency and if you rarely need to fill-up 7 seats, get the Avanza. If you like comfort and space, get the APV (though I would suggest that you get the Type 2 GLX M/T instead if you can stretch your budget a bit -- but I think there's already a Type 2 GL M/T at around mid-600k). But if we're talking about the base-spec Avanza 1.3J or the base-spec APV GA, I'll take the Avanza. Styling-wise, it's subjective.

Sorry for the long post

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Other "cheap big cars" at around 600 thousand pesos would be a pre-owned Adventure or Crosswind.

Wala masyado pinagbago sa current models. Just get a well maintained unit.

BTW, between the APV and the Avanza....I will choose the latter. Mas madali maintenance and with more units on the road the parts will not be in short supply.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I'd rather choose avanza over the APV, parang nakakatakot yung avanza sa highway pag na daanan ng mga bus ehehehe,

Like what sir Gerbo said, you can choose pre owned crosswinds and adventures which has relatively well maintained unit. Choose wisely.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    oo naman, why would i suggest it ? Im just comparing the two. NOT TO OTHER CARS. mas mataas at makitid ang APV kesa avanza, a tire blowout could cause roll over.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I agree here with sir shibby75.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
NEED SUGGESTIONS APV or AVANZA??