New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by swordsman View Post
    di pa rin ba nakakabili ng second hand car si pyeh? tagal na nyan a...

edit: pyeh! pala..
    tagal na nung thread na to...d ko alam na active pa rin

sir swordman, nakabili nko! manual ang kinuha ko...pero ngaun, hinahanap ko ng swap/trade with automatic tranny. nagaral kasi mag drive ung wife ko. gusto nya gamitin ung car but, nahihirapan sya sa manual.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pyeh! View Post
    tagal na nung thread na to...d ko alam na active pa rin

sir swordman, nakabili nko! manual ang kinuha ko...pero ngaun, hinahanap ko ng swap/trade with automatic tranny. nagaral kasi mag drive ung wife ko. gusto nya gamitin ung car but, nahihirapan sya sa manual.
    It was my theory na a big part of ATs popularity is not really just convenience but the unwillingness of a large part of new drivers to learn MT. Pati mga utol ko ganito eh.

Hehe. Dapat ata sa mga new AT drivers paakyatin ng Baguio behind a slow moving long truck para matutunan din nila mag MT. hehe.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    ABOUT CVTs.
    What about CVT on uphill driving? may chance rin ba na mag-stall yung engine? what about when you come to a stop while on an uphill traffic? do you need too 'manually' shift(+/-) gears?

sorry, newbie lng po

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbz View Post
    ABOUT CVTs.
    What about CVT on uphill driving? may chance rin ba na mag-stall yung engine? what about when you come to a stop while on an uphill traffic? do you need too 'manually' shift(+/-) gears?

sorry, newbie lng po
    my wife's city 1.3 cvt is what you call a manumatic, you can drive using the full automatic wherein the car does the shifting for you or you press a button for you to use the paddle shifters to experience the 7speed manual shifting (+/-).

once you are in full stop and in full automatic mode and you are going uphill, depends really how uphill, but it is advisable to put your stick to D1 or Drive Low, the car will do the shifting for you, if its not that steep, you can maintain in D3 or Drive high, the car will still go up and shift gears for you automatically. to use the manual shifter you have to engage the car's manual mode. once in full stop, for the honda city, the gear will be on the 2nd gear, you can now step on the gas and upshift manually (+) like you do a manual car (just without clutch) to 3rd, 4th and so on. the beauty of the system is, lets say you are running at 80kph at 5th or 6th gear/speed and you have to slow down by braking and by doing so your speed goes down to 30kph. you will see in the indicator that the gears/speed are automatically downshifting (-) for you, at 30 kph it may well be at around the 3rd gear/speed.

so to answer your question, yes you have to manually upshift (+) going uphill from full stop if you are in manual mode. you dont have to manually shift if you are in full auto mode (you just have to pick the right drive setting (d1,d2 etc) and the car does it for you. hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    the beauty of the system is, lets say you are running at 80kph at 5th or 6th gear/speed and you have to slow down by braking and by doing so your speed goes down to 30kph. you will see in the indicator that the gears/speed are automatically downshifting (-) for you, at 30 kph it may well be at around the 3rd gear/speed.
    -- is this in manual mode? wherein the gears downshift automatically given the change in speed?

full auto mode (you just have to pick the right drive setting (d1,d2 etc)
    -- what other modes do CVTs have? D1,D2,etc..

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbz View Post
    -- is this in manual mode? wherein the gears downshift automatically given the change in speed?

-- what other modes do CVTs have? D1,D2,etc..
    the gears downshifting automatically is in manual mode. for the 2nd query, i think even none cvts have atleast three drive modes d1=low, d2=mid and d3=high. my dad's accord (2000 model/non-cvt) has up to d4. so on ordinary driving, we usually use d3, on highway we use d4.

for my wife's city (up to d3), we use d2 for city driving (stop and go situations) and d3 for highway. really really seldomly use the d1.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Akala ko D1 means 1st gear, D2 2nd gear?, etc? Hindi ba? I thought kasi kaya siya nilalagay into D1 or D2 going down from baguio -- to engine brake?

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Matic lalo na kung mahilig ka mag drive thru

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Dati MANUAL choice ko... Ngaun AT na choice ko.... Medyo tamad na ako drive ng MT e....

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Emong3 View Post
    since you said preference mo is HOnda, if you plan to buy a civic 2000 medel and below, I suggest you go for a manual tranny. Older generation honda matic tranny is not yet as perfect as 2001 model up civic. 2k below civic a/t has the common shift shock, poor acceleration, bad fuel economy and still uses a 4 speed gear box.

But if you plant to buy a 2001-2005 civic, the matic tranny is good! My cousin that drive an altis 1.6g a/t says mabilis talaga honda. Ramdam nya kasi pag ginagamit nya yung civic VTiS ang bilis daw. And yung common shift shock wala na. shifts very smoothly. fuel economy is not as bad as the oplder civic since the tranny is now electronically controled. No more throttle-to-tranny cables. The ECU now anticipates the driver's driving style and adjusts depending on the driver's habits.
    wow Emong3 great info. my cousin is also on the process of buying a used HONDA as second car and I think your info. is very useful 'coz when he asked me of my preference for city driving, told him I'll go for matic considering na sasabak sya sa kalye during rush hour.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
manual or automatic