New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Huh? Number of gears don't have much to do with fuel consumption... heck, it can be argued that 5-speeds accelerate better and consume less fuel than 4-speeds (at the cost of extra work for the driver)!

If car manufacturers wanted oil companies to sell more, they could just detune engines or make clutches slip all the time. No diesel engines or locking torque converters and all that stuff. If that was the idea, well, 5-speed trannies would just cost... way too much.
    i agree +1

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    since you said preference mo is HOnda, if you plan to buy a civic 2000 medel and below, I suggest you go for a manual tranny. Older generation honda matic tranny is not yet as perfect as 2001 model up civic. 2k below civic a/t has the common shift shock, poor acceleration, bad fuel economy and still uses a 4 speed gear box.

But if you plant to buy a 2001-2005 civic, the matic tranny is good! My cousin that drive an altis 1.6g a/t says mabilis talaga honda. Ramdam nya kasi pag ginagamit nya yung civic VTiS ang bilis daw. And yung common shift shock wala na. shifts very smoothly. fuel economy is not as bad as the oplder civic since the tranny is now electronically controled. No more throttle-to-tranny cables. The ECU now anticipates the driver's driving style and adjusts depending on the driver's habits.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Huh? Number of gears don't have much to do with fuel consumption... heck, it can be argued that 5-speeds accelerate better and consume less fuel than 4-speeds (at the cost of extra work for the driver)!

If car manufacturers wanted oil companies to sell more, they could just detune engines or make clutches slip all the time. No diesel engines or locking torque converters and all that stuff. If that was the idea, well, 5-speed trannies would just cost... way too much.
    Sabi ko nga mas matipid yung 5-speed sa hiway di ba? The point was that you have to shift more kung stop-go ang driving mo.I didn't say car makers wanted to sell more gasoline -- I meant they wanted to sell more -- pesos. Kasi mas mahal ang price ng matic. So assuming standard costing accounting standards for all cars, mas malaki ang benta at tubo nila for every unit sale!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    IMHO, the number of gears does not affect the fuel efficiency. although it is the gear ratios that will determine how often you shift and how fast you go, it is still the manner of driving and load that plays the greatest in terms of determining fuel efficiency. it is still the optimum speed at the right rpm and gear that will determine the fuel efficiency.

btw, bago lang ako dito sa tsikot.. this forum is quite engaging, exciting, and interesting. more power!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aldrizz View Post
    IMHO, the number of gears does not affect the fuel efficiency. although it is the gear ratios that will determine how often you shift and how fast you go, it is still the manner of driving and load that plays the greatest in terms of determining fuel efficiency. it is still the optimum speed at the right rpm and gear that will determine the fuel efficiency.

btw, bago lang ako dito sa tsikot.. this forum is quite engaging, exciting, and interesting. more power!
    Mas malaking bagay ang rpm at right gear siyempre -- that defines how heavy your foot is, after all. Pero may kinalaman din siguro ang gearing kahit papaano, lalo kung madalas ka naka-rekta. Theoretically, say, a car only has 3 gears -- mas hirap siya ma-optimize di ba? Kasi kung gitna lang ng bawa't gear ang optimal (halimbawa) -- adding more gears gives more 'optimal' points, making the car more efficient. Pero siyempre kung mabigat ang paa mo, wala din. OTH, kung mas konti ang gear, mas madalang mo kailangang mag-shift at mas malawak ang magiging band sa lower gears -- thus mas advantage sa arangkada (though less efficient nga).

kapag matic depende sa model ng car na bibilhin.. may mga matic na magastos sa gas gaya ng mga "normal" versions ng a/t (old a/t cars), pero kung bibili k ng may cvt (lancer & jazz) medyo mas matipid kc mas efficient ung transmision kc cones and belts na ginagamit dito, hindi gears.

from experience mas maganda ang m/t kung hatak ang usapan, kapg akyat k ng kennon road mas magamit mo ung power ng makina kapag manual gamit mo dahil ikaw mismo hahnap ng gear na stable sa makina, pero kapag a/t gamit mo computer ang hahanap ng gear na suitable sa rpm at speed mo kaya minsan nabibitin ka sa takbo ng sasakyan.
    para sa kin maganda ang a/t kapag long trip kasi hindi ka masyado mapapgod magdrive, gas at preno ka lang.

bihira din ang a/t sa mga trak at bus kc mas matibay at mas maganda hatak kapag m/t, at mas madali at mas mura iservice ang mga m/t kesa sa a/t.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    di pa rin ba nakakabili ng second hand car si pyeh? tagal na nyan a...

edit: pyeh! pala..

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aldrizz View Post
    I agree. I saved this tsikot message from a member here. .. I have a bad english so I will use his quote to share my point...

Most M/T drivers think that shifting very quickly is the best way to save fuel. I used to be one of them, wondering why I simply cannot get great fuel numbers. I just realized that as I shift from one gear to another, I tend to step on the pedal deeper. This means that the throttle is opened wider, which means more fuel consumption.

The rule of thumb in driving efficiently is to step on the pedal as if there were bits of broken glass on it such that if you step hard, it will be painful. From my experience, I learned that I should only shift if I can afford to step on the pedal very lightly. In that manner I got better mileage.
    A/T relies on hydraulic pressure... most people think A/T is slow because it has only 4 gears... that's no it... A/T is slower and less fuel efficient because it uses pressure... unlike m/t that use gear to gear contact...

A/T is slow, but just slower than m/t... you don't feel much of the push because it's soft because of the hyraulic that works like a shock absorber... too bad those a.k.a shock absorbed are actually power lost... poor hydraulic a/t...

most peeps also thinks A/T is slow because the computer decides what gears to use. first, for the old hydraulic A/T... is not only computer that decides your gears... your A/T has a kickdown cable - a transmission pressure control hooked in your accelerator.... if you push too hard... the cable will pull, telling the tranny to downshift without the computer's control... then there is the computer sensor judging what gears to use based from your vacuum and boost pressure and speed...

I even disagree that average peeps are better to decide what gears should be used IN A hydraulic A/T transmission case... even average m/t drivers sucks * 3rd gear in aggresive driving from a standing start at the traffic lights... how could they judge a tranny powered from pressure if they even suck on a m/t...

but of course good drivers can judge better than the old dumb A/T...

world rally cars have manual trannies but uses hydraulic pressure and computer to judge what gears to use. just look at their sticks move on their own...it's the best of both worlds....

as for my vote. choose m/t for power and efficiency. choose a/t for comfy...

cvt could be better though...

kaya a/t to m/t converted yung Pajero namin... ang hina ng hatak at malakas uminom ng gas dati kasi eh...

medyo buwaya lang ako sa daan sa m/t, I don't like stopping in m/t... kasi balik 1st gear and clutch timing nanaman... hehe...
    Last edited by rion; March 29th, 2007 at 04:22 PM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    mga boss,isa pong kahiya-hiyang tanong pasensya na po .. in case of a 5speed MT and 4speed AT; do this means that the top speed of the 5 speed MT is higher since it has 1 more gear againts the AT? if the final gear ratio is the same, (disregarding the loss of power on AT) its means po ba that mas malakas naman hatak ng MT coz close gear ratio ung lower gears nya? pasensya na po kung medyo magulo yung question ko . hope you get the idea..

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    been an M/T driver ever since- let's say, there's an offering for a 3.0L M/T Accord or a Camry variant- i would definitely pick M/T. however, Semi-automatics would be a treat.

on fuel consumption, it doesn't matter whether it's an M/T or A/T. it's on the driving style and conditions.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
manual or automatic