New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Which is more reliable?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Japanese

62 73.81%
  • European

22 26.19%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'd bet on japanese. of late (actually, since the mid-90's), mercedes-benz cars have been reported to be unreliable, and BMWs, volkswagens, opels, land rovers, jaguars, etc. are reportedly fussier than the japanese marques.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    i prefer ......YEN compare to EURO

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    By the way, I don't exactly know why this is a poll. Reliability issues are objective and not a matter of opinion.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Para sakin it depends on the country where you stay in.

Of course, if you're somewhere in Europe, the best thing to buy is a European car, because kahit ano talaga gawin mo, talagang lamang ang percentage na based para sa lugar nila ang cars na ginagawa nila, at syempre, dun mura ang parts para sa models nila, at kung ano ano pang related sa car na un. We could say that there are a lot of differences sa conditions sa Europe compared sa Asia, such as climate, roads, and other things.

On the other hand, kung nasa Asia ka, mas practical bumili ng Japanese car. Lalo na dito, mas sanay tayo sa Jap cars. Nagkataon lang talaga siguro na talagang mas tama sa pamumuhay ng Pinoy ang mga Jap cars. :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sana wala akong nakikitang mga Jap cars na pinapagawa... sira ang aircon, oil seal, water pump, radiator, power lock, shock absorber, tie-rod, ECU, etc. mukhang overhyped lang naman yang Toyota / Honda reliability na yan.

punta lang kayo sa Workshop, eh puro jap cars ang may concern jan.

mas mura lang pero halos parehas lang rin.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    european is reliable kung di mo titipirin sa maintenance. Magastos lang talaga. Jap cars are easy to maintain. I got both. hehehe.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Japanese car pa din: here's my take.

Reliability is not subjective, i tend to agree with JD Power & Consumer Report Surveys. And geography doesn't matter that much anymore because even Europeans rate Japanese marque's to be more reliable. Yes JAP cars do experience alot of Shock absorbers, Bushing, Tie-Rod replacement but that's more due to the crappy road surface we have. Even my Civic '95 ESi is not immune from problems, (1) A/C evaporator replaced due to leak (but i'm almost sure its because the chemical cleaning done to it) and (2) Radiator replaced (after it cracked in the upper portion because of tightening i made because leaks started to develop). (3) Speedo sensor replaced as well because of corrosion (i'm its Manila's flooded streets fault). so despite of all the problems i've had still like my car, still think its reliable despite the harsher condition it has to endure in the PH.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    here's a sh*t list of my Toyota qualms

> front shock absorber replaced
    > brake pads replaced during my 20K checkup
    > front disc brakes were replaced
    > erratic idling / engine bogs down resulting in a drained battery (dirty throttle body)
    > tranny bearing needs to be replaced (tranny pulldown is needed)
    > aircon doesn't work
    > horn doesn't work
    > rear shock absorber replaced
    > numerous freaking squeaks all over
    > low idling sometimes

all of them before the 40K mark

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, dito sa pinas, you still have to consider the fact that majority of the cars are asian made, and not euro... most euro car owners are rather in the higher age bracket that aren't that "visible" sa mga forums etc.

honestly, you dont see a lot of new jag/benz/bmw owners (as in sila bumili ha) that personally takes their cars to the casa as opposed to jap owners.

i still think jap cars are more bulletproof in maintenance and reliabilty than euro and american cars.

of course, issues with poor casa service and skills is a big factor with lowering quality post-sales.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    here's a sh*t list of my Toyota qualms

> front shock absorber replaced
    > brake pads replaced during my 20K checkup
    > front disc brakes were replaced
    > erratic idling / engine bogs down resulting in a drained battery (dirty throttle body)
    > tranny bearing needs to be replaced (tranny pulldown is needed)
    > aircon doesn't work
    > horn doesn't work
    > rear shock absorber replaced
    > numerous freaking squeaks all over
    > low idling sometimes

all of them before the 40K mark

what did you do, or how's your driving habit? are you one of those guys who practice "drive it like you stole it" or frequently go off-roading? he he kidding aside, i think you got a lemon though. anyway i've heard worse stories of some Toyota engines breaking down prematurely because of sludge formation.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Japanese vs European Car Reliability