New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Which is more reliable?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Japanese

62 73.81%
  • European

22 26.19%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate
    sakit magsalita ni THE VEED. responsible age bracket lang naman ung ibang kagaya kong may chedeng. i just happen to afford it. :sigh:
    Are you serious about this? hehe... The comment, as stated, is a generalization, not an absolute one.

In addition, what's bad with being "older".... A bit too sensitive here

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In addition, who ever said that "US Standard" is the best????

The main reason why the US usually gets bigger engine sizes is because of market demands! Nothing more.

What in the world with folks in Italy do with a 6 liter SUV? They don't need it therefore they dont sell it there. Period.

Unfit for US Highways??? US Highways are so moron-proof that you can drive blindfolded geez... hehe...

Vans: They prefer car-like amenities like the Caravans.
    SUV: Patrols and Prados are abundant in Europe, Africas, and Japan. Nissan has always been concentrating more on the mid-car battle more than anything else.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, both lines of reasoning are correct.

The reason that some of these vehicles are not sold in the US is because these companies don't see the profit in bringing them up to the safety and pollution standards of a market that does not favor cheap economical transport or low horsepower diesel applications. They are "unfit" only in the sense that they are not equipped with the safety equipment and pollution control that is mandatory in the US. Heck, up until one model change ago, neither were the locally sold sedans, which DO meet and often times EXCEED these requirements in US trim.

By the way, the MB100 is not European, it's Indonesian. :p

And incidentally, japanese rep-mobiles have proven to be the MOST reliable cars in the US for the past two decades.

European cars in general are not as reliable as Japanese cars. Most people are biased in thinking they are merely because most Euro-cars we have here are the expensive ones... and are more likely to be taken to the "casa" by their owners (or former owners) than cheaper japanese cars. Ask anyone who owns an MG, a Vauxhall, or a Renault about quality on cheap European cars... or even Volkswagens or Jaguars. Quality is usually similar or worse than comparable Japanese cars.

Heck, the function of price versus quality can be summed up by the Kia Pride. In the hands of a responsible owner, they can last a very very very long time. But most people buy them for the lower price, and are less likely to spend money on proper maintenance. Thus the undeserved reputation for poor quality for what was undoubtedly the VolksWagen ("People's Car) of its day.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pissword
    sir ultimate, did you know that anywhere in the world, ang rav4 and land cruiser ata same lang lahat ang build quality, they are all shipped from japan CBU na...

pero yung mga european cars dito ewan ko saan gawa yung mga nandito, pero still i would say mas reliable pa din ang jap cars
    i agree thats why i have a 4runner, my daughter drives an accord coupe and most of my relatives and friends do. sana lang taasan ang standards para mas durable ang mga imports natin. the ones they bring in to the US are toyota land cruiser, rav4,frontier and pathfinder,tribute and many more models. the models that most tsikoteers talk about i never hear or see in the US. also, the camry,solara,rav4 and most jap cars are partly built in the US unlike 5 years ago na lahat ng imports ay cbu. the euro vehicles that you see in pinas are from korea and not from germany.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by parakitoJDM
    this is total bull, well probably not all of it. but there are some desirable models here that i'm sure envied by some people there. like what u ask?

-Civic with standard K20A3 engine!
    -Altis offered in the Phil, have so many luxury features (not just leather) that
    you wouldn't feel shortchanged even if your'e used inside a Lexus!

and i don't agree that Toyota Prado & Nissan Patrol are substandard that it won't pass US standards. that's another mis-conception, the real reason is Toyota & Nissan don't think it fits into American's mind & taste. so no market means they wouldn't waste they're resources to meet Federal standards. Even for years, while the rest of the world gets Lancer Evo's & Subaru STi's, those lusting Joe's couldn't get their hands on them because Mitsu gave them the excuse that it wouldn't pass Federal standards because the Bumper openings are too big (for d intercooler & all). but as soon as Mitsu realized the market was there (after strong demand for the WRX) a simple mod was done to federalize it. the US maybe the largest Car market in the world, but not all the best Cars could be found there. There are other more desirable cars in the other side of the Pacific too.
    altis is just a regular corolla in the US which has the same options. prado and patrol didnt pass instead they accepted the land cruiser and nissan murano and pathfinder.evo 8 is there so is subaru wrx. its not that they are all unfit for the highways but they are also not satisfied for safety reasons. civics come as dx,lx,ex and si. most models that they bring in were also phased out in the US like previa, chevy and ford models. diesels are also banned on passenger cars,vans and suvs. dont get me wrong coz i own a 4runner and theres a few jap cars in my family,too.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    Are you serious about this? hehe... The comment, as stated, is a generalization, not an absolute one.

In addition, what's bad with being "older".... A bit too sensitive here
    just kidding,bro. kasi sabi pag ang wheels mo e chedeng,jag o cadillac amoy lupa ka na daw.hehehe.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    In addition, who ever said that "US Standard" is the best????

The main reason why the US usually gets bigger engine sizes is because of market demands! Nothing more.

What in the world with folks in Italy do with a 6 liter SUV? They don't need it therefore they dont sell it there. Period.

Unfit for US Highways??? US Highways are so moron-proof that you can drive blindfolded geez... hehe...

Vans: They prefer car-like amenities like the Caravans.
    SUV: Patrols and Prados are abundant in Europe, Africas, and Japan. Nissan has always been concentrating more on the mid-car battle more than anything else.
    d mo subukan kung papasa ka sa driving test. u guys think that becoz the roads are clear and wider madali mag drive? correction. sa pinas na lang binibili ang caravans kaya dinala dyan. its a piece of **** in the US, like the focus which everyones talking about.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I take offense to the term "piece of ****" when applied to the car that put Ford back on the map and that managed to re-write many of the rules of handling for front-wheel drive cars, and, by the way, is a major step up for Ford in terms of quality... I guess it's a piece of **** if all that matters is pillowy chairs and idling along at 60mph on the interstate...

Of course, maybe you're comparing it to all the overweight, over-engined, gas-guzzling circa-1970's tech cars and SUVs that everyone else is driving in the US?

By the way, diesel is NOT banned. It's just that emissions regulations make diesel cars a little more costly in the US. There is a bias in the US against diesel power, but diesel cars ARE sold there.

Cars that DO not pass safety regs in the US are not inherently unsafe... it's just that setting them up to US spec was deemed too costly by their manufacturers to warrant the effort. The extra airbags are NOT required in other markets. Except for AUVs and the formulaic "Asian Van" (L300 et al), there's nothing wrong with these cars.

In fact, American made and marketed SUVs like the Tahoe and Explorer are even more unsafe at highway speeds than most other cars, despite the standard safety equipment.

And yes, driving conditions in the US are easy compared to most other places... wider roads, better paving and surfacing, better asphalt and water-drainage properties... which also makes them very dangerous for US drivers who suddenly find themselves in wet or icy conditions and who have no idea how to adapt to such.

The only "Europeans" with Asian underpinnings are the MB100 van, and the MB-engined SSangyongs. AFAIK, our BMWs, Mercs, and Volvos are CBU from Europe.

American driving is just so SOFT... and the cars are equally so...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate
    just kidding,bro. kasi sabi pag ang wheels mo e chedeng,jag o cadillac amoy lupa ka na daw.hehehe.
    Cadillac na mga sedan oo dude hehehe, walang kawala yun...

Lalo na Oldsmobile, pangalan palang haha. :D

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mazdamazda,

your reasoning that japanese cars are not reliable because "all the posts in the Workshop are about jap cars" is incorrect. iilan lang ba may european cars dito?

for your personal experience of shitty quality, i will offer the service record of our cr-v which has needed nothing at all more than regular oil changes. our other cr-v is similarly reliable. our corona and accord have also been reliable, nothing unusual beyond reasonable age-related wear. hehe

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Japanese vs European Car Reliability