New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Accords up to the 8th generation (2008-2012) had the double wishbone front suspension. The 9th and 10th generations already moved to the McPherson strut suspension for the front.

There is a reason why the Accord is Honda’s most praised car as it has been a consistent performer ever since.

Not only the suspension of our old 6th gen but it’s the whole package. Accord platforms have good natural grip and the engine just is matched well with the chassis plus of course, the interior comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh mcpherson struts na rin pala ang current accords! Thats too bad. But i’d still like to have one in the future..

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post
    Oh mcpherson struts na rin pala ang current accords! Thats too bad. But i’d still like to have one in the future..

Nothing too bad about the McPherson struts if tuned properly. Even the Europeans use McPherson struts on their models. Subaru uses them also.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post

whats wrong with mcpherson struts? as i heared, mcpherson is easier to service compared to double wishbone and is much cheaper to manufacture(?), maybe that is why some manufacturers switch to it.

Also, why is it mas mahal pyesa ng honda compare to toyotas? please enlighten, newbie here..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Relax guys im not saying mcpherson struts are bad. But i will argue that double wishbones are superior with the same level of tune. And that is exactly why car makers prefer them because they easier to make & service.

If youve driven civics and accords of the 90’s you know what i mean.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by reymund View Post
    whats wrong with mcpherson struts? as i heared, mcpherson is easier to service compared to double wishbone and is much cheaper to manufacture(?), maybe that is why some manufacturers switch to it.

Also, why is it mas mahal pyesa ng honda compare to toyotas? please enlighten, newbie here..
    Mac Struts are the torsion beam equivalent out front. Cheaper, lighter, simpler. They sit higher & won't perform as well on corners due to the smaller camber change the system allows.
    Double Wishbone are the multi-link equivalent. Better performing, lower...but when trouble shows up, be prepared to shell more. They're a lil heavier..... Unsprung mass, higher. Overall, the latter is better.
    Notice the trend amongst manufacturers? Abandoning better engineering & long term durability for cost?...Another glaring example: CVTs.[emoji20]
    Still, we continue to suck up to their hype.[emoji2957]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Hoping it's just the sparks, 8 of them on the iDSI, and the coil bro....

The possible transmission issue was the reason why we sold our Jazz.. We love that car....
    Got the car back.

No problem with CVT, changed CVTF since 4 years since last change. Hehe! Though, for my use case, I think that was actually about right to just change at 3 or 4 year mark rather 2 years. But, I know Honda recommends 2 years and change it.

They cleaned the Throttle Idle Control (or was it body control... anyway). I didn't see the part as replaced in the breakdown of parts, so it was just cleaning done to it. No more idling issues that I could notice that was pronounced. They also advice to have the aircon cleaned (but didn't force me to have it done at Honda, so good on them)

As for the jerking, no issue with ignition coil after checking. Replaced all spark plugs and that made the jerking issue go away. They also did the PMS and changed engine oil since it was there (me and Honda agreed to have them do PMS simulatenously when I brought it in).

I really love that i-DSi engine. Really good powerplant for a city car. =)

Re CVT, other than CVTF replacement schedule, I do honestly believe the computer box that controls it usually doesn't have any built in battery. So if, and when, you do unplug or replace the battery without being able to run the car on an alternator, immediately bring it to your casa and have then reset the CVT programming or update to the latest firmware version.

I do think something can go wrong or "off" with timing of the shifting for the computer if it happens. It happened with the City before and also happened when I had the Sylphy serviced for more than 2 days and they unplugged the batteries. The CVT behaved a little differently. It wasn't too pronounced but the shifting behavior wasn't the same.

(I do equate it to a PC motherboard with a built-in CMOS battery. Once that battery fails and/or is removed, things can go wrong pretty quickly because the clock is not right. It affects other programs just because of a simple clock issue.)

That "off" in the timing could be the cause of premature failure, I don't really know. But I also think just relying on "D" when going up and down through mountainous/sloping roads can cause issues. As noted with users of regular ATs that rely on just going through them up and down slopes of change in elevations while just leaving it on "D", the transmission can overheat. What more the CVT.

For the CVT, I have to rely on shifting on Sport or "L" when traversing to make sure the CVT doesn't shift too early/prematurely just because it is in the "right" rev range. I happened to try going up a steeper than normal incline while on Drive. Even with a headstart (Bwelo), the rpm just dropped in the middle on the climb while foot was on the accelerator. CVT wouldn't downshift by itself at all. I had to manually drop it to Low Gear (after pressing on the brakes).

That's just my personal take on the matter.

Though I look forward to further development of CVTs. I think right now, the most recent one is the CVT from Lexus I think. Where it won't rely on belts (cheaper production method) but chains. So less likelihood of "failure" of that assembly.

7. Join Date
    May 2019
    thats cool

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Honda or Toyota?..