New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I know, I know. Were price and gas not an issue, obvious na 2.5 dapat ang kunin. But a nearly 500 thou price difference, not to mention a large difference in gas consumption can be a PITA whether you can afford it or not.OTH, it will be my first AT. Kung masyadong mabagal ang acceleration, baka ma-aksidente lang ako pag nainip ako.Choices:1. Get the 2.5 and grit my teeth every time I go to the gas station or read about gas price increases.2. Get the 2.0 and modify in a year or two (kung mukhang hindi na magkaka recall) to improve throttle response and acceleration.What do you guys think? BTW, all other brands, makes, and models are out. I've eliminated them for one reason or another, unless you know of a new model coming out in the next few weeks (may reservation na nga ako sa Subaru eh).

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd get the 2.5XT, satisfy my need for speed till it dies down, (mainly perhaps due to the gas consumption) then drive conservatively. I would rather the more powerful engine that I can slow down, than the less powerful engine I'd have to flog each time just to satiate my itch to speed up.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    2.5XT but try to wait, they might realize that their turbo is ancient and might upgrade it to VGT. :-)

I can hear the turbo whistle as early as 1000rpm on my CRDI VGT, if my windows are open.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    There's just something about the Subaru Forester. I should know; I've testdriven the 2.0 and 2.5XT. Obviously, either one can do the job of taking you from A-B. However, the 2.5XT is simply and amazingly other-worldly experience. Talk about thrill factor.

Now, I'm no teener. I'm a single, 30-something executive who has a month to go before making a big decision on what to spend for my company car entitlement. I, too, have been considering the Subaru. I'm also taking a look at a 3.0 liter V6 Accord that churns out 240HP-in the same league as the XT, but in naturally-aspirated form. Speed and performance are, obviously, important to me. I guess it's the same with you.

You're gonna be "stuck" with your car for the next 5 years or so. It's in your best interest to go with what's really important to you in choosing your next purchase. Hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Get the 2.5XT and have it tuned at some place like Orange (EcuTek) or Autoplus.

In stock form Subaru's 2.5li turbo engines seem to run very rich (obviously for safety against bad gas). If you're diligent enough to run only high-octane Blaze or V-Power, a retune will not only get you more power, it'll also give the car much better economy.

A friend of mine has had both his STIs tuned at Orange, I'm still putting some more miles in my car, but eventually i'll get my rex tuned there too. HTH

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    2.5XT but try to wait, they might realize that their turbo is ancient and might upgrade it to VGT. :-)

I can hear the turbo whistle as early as 1000rpm on my CRDI VGT, if my windows are open.
    0-100kph in 6.19s

I wouldn't call that ancient. And oh, the STi version pumps out 300hp. :evillaugh

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    Might as well go for the higher variant Forester already. Night and day difference! If you stay off-boost then your typical gas consumption would be as much as a 2.0 engine of let's say... ... a CRV.

This is your conscience speaking:
    Stick to your initial instincts. May reservation ka na...
    :naughty2:

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    M2:

okay, i take back the "ancient" part. I'll just say, not so new. hehehee.

Seriously, if they stick VGT to it, for sure those figures will improve.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's the rich tuning, as Dr. Kamiya has said... not the lack of VGT.

Lots of Japanese turbo cars are tuned pretty rich to avoid engine problems under boost. Heck, my car isn't a turbo, and it reads pig-rich on the dyno! (Lambda at redline is 0.75... worse than an Evo!)

If you buy a 2.5 XT locally, you can bring it to places like Speedlab or Autotechnika and have it chipped or remapped. This will give you more power, a smoother powerband, and better fuel efficiency... if done right.

Turbocharged engines can give you decent fuel efficiency if you drive them with a light foot... a friend gets 10 km/l on his turbocharged car (same engine as mine) because he drives nicely and has his fuel map optimized.

Whether it'll make up for the difference in economy due to the fact that the non-turbo car is 500cc smaller, I don't know.

Like brubeck said in his thread... just buy the one that'll make you smile every time you see it in the morning...

And if you eventually find gas too expensive, sell ride tickets for your car.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hello Niky,
    Why do you need to tune a car? Is'nt the factory tune not the best setup? And what is a rich tuning? I own an sti, but honestly I don't know anything about cars. and when you remapped and rechip, woudl'nt this void your warranttee? How much this rechipping cost? And would you really noticed a perceivable difference in HP/Speed or fuel effciency when you remap? As of now my sti is averaging 6km/L using Petron Blaze city driving but i think its because I really find it so addicting to accelerate fast. Thank for the info.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Forester 2.0 or 2.5XT?