New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2011
    Hi guys,

I've lurked around your forum for the past couple of weeks. I have seen some of your colorful and some very helpful exchanges. I hope you guys can do the same for me. I have been a public transport commuter ever since. One of the items in my bucket list is to own a car. I've been doing calculations and recalculations over and over and I think I now have enough to get my very first car. This is where I need your help with. I will rely heavily on your experience since I have none of my own.

I know you need some things to work with to give a good recommendation so here are some additional information for you.

- Driving background. I've driven before (self-taught), but that was maybe 15 years ago. I used to "borrow" our old owner jeep without my moms consent and drove it around for weeks every midnight before I got busted by my mom. I am now taking proper lessons from a driving school to prepare more accordingly.

- Budget. Maximum of 850,000 Pesos. I have enough to cover 50% of the total car cost, and the rest will have to be bank finance. For 3, maximum of 4 years.

- Fuel efficiency. This would be my top priority. If i can get one of the most fuel efficient cars within the budget then great. I dont really mind if the models are the same used for taxi's. I understand there are variants that make them different. With my budget, I can ill afford to be choosy.

- Transmission preference. Im leaning towards automatic just because of the ease. But in the driving school, ive requested both manual and automatic mainly because of fuel efficiency again. Is the manual still very far ahead of the automatic in terms of fuel consumption? If it is, then I will have to really "master" manual.

- Car use. Mainly city driving. but on occasion, maybe once or twice in a month. Maybe longer trips to tagaytay, subic, maybe even baguio would be nice.

- Number of passengers. Mainly just me, on occasions maybe 4 people.

I understand that there are advanced things to consider like handling, suspensions, wheels, etc., I'd love to know them, but I just havent reached that point yet. Hopefully would experience I would.

So just two things guys, can you recommend a car within range? and also, am I missing an important factor that i should also consider.

Thanks in advance and Im hoping you can help a "rookie" out.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Ano ba yung gusto mong tipong type ng cars?

3. Join Date
    May 2011
    Hi Sleepcare. Good question. It will be my primary (only in fact) car. If pwede, wag yung masyadong maliit, like the alto. I used to like the picanto a lot but nung lumapit ako, medyo maliit siya if for example I have a family in the next couple of years. I've read somewhere about hatchback or sedan, I dont mind any of the two. As long as I have some trunk space for shoes and gym bag, okay nako.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    My recommendations:

Honda City 1.5E
    Honda Jazz 1.5V
    Hyundai Accent 1.6 GLS Blue
    Toyota Corolla 1.6G

Ano ba prefer mo, M/T or A/T?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I'd strongly recommend the Altis E or G. Technology is top notch ( Dual VVTi ) & looks are refined lately. Practicality at its best. The trunk space, interior, engine bay is generally big. Features are as well, commendable.

However, since the 1.6L Altis is lacking the CVT-i 7-speed transmission that can be found at their top of the line variant expect it to be a bit fuel-thirsty, but not that much though .. like let's say compared to a .... Chevrolet Cruze.

Uhm, since you have stated that 50% from the 850k will be loaned won't you consider a second-hand unit ? Such as the good ol` CVT Honda Jazz which is known to be really fuel efficient. Coz these will be definitely cheaper at your part and you will be at ease since you won't be having any payments to think about - annual insurance. chattel mortgage. monthly bills. etc.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Nako wag yung CVT ng Honda.. Haha

7. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    My recommendations:

Honda City 1.5E
    Honda Jazz 1.5V
    Hyundai Accent 1.6 GLS Blue
    Toyota Corolla 1.6G

Ano ba prefer mo, M/T or A/T?
    Thanks for these. I'll look into them. Preferably automatic kasi mas madali, but if malayo ang fuel economy difference, Ill focus on the manual sa practice drives.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Noawadays. I'd have an automatic transmission anytime over a manual. You're not driving a Porsche (hell, even those have PDKs) so don't bother with spirited driving. That way, if you get stuck at EDSA's 2hour bonker traffic, you won't be limp by the time you arrive at your destination.

For the money, I'd get a Honda Jazz 1.5L. Many have tried to dethrone it, but it's still reigns supreme over its category. SRP is 842K.
    Normally, I would also recommend the Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLS (850K post-discounts), but seeing how you're mainly doing it on the city, practicality on the pump reigns supreme, hence I won't recommend it.

Another safe choice is a 1.6L Altis. I'd still take the Jazz over its handling though, but if you're the one who tends to go to work with a suit and tie, do the Altis. You'd look idiotic stepping out of a Jazz with one.. parang university student

If you're looking particularly daring, might want to check the Elantra. Not sure how much Hyundai prices them though... especially now that it's just a day-old from actual release, demand's gonna be hot!
    Last edited by jhnkvn; May 30th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    Nako wag yung CVT ng Honda.. Haha
    Well yes, I myself have some doubts sa CVT nun. Pero it can be avoided naman if the previous owner took care of the car thoroughly. Yun nga lang, very limited ang ganun ang alaga. So be really careful. Ipa-check sa CASA or whatever kung bibili ng 2nd hand. Yung City sa tapat ko, CVT din pero buhay pa rin hanggang ngayon. Hahaha. Pero tipid kasi ng CVT 7-speed. Ang gaan pa ng Jazz/City.

10. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    I'd strongly recommend the Altis E or G. Technology is top notch ( Dual VVTi ) & looks are refined lately. Practicality at its best. The trunk space, interior, engine bay is generally big. Features are as well, commendable.

However, since the 1.6L Altis is lacking the CVT-i 7-speed transmission that can be found at their top of the line variant expect it to be a bit fuel-thirsty, but not that much though .. like let's say compared to a .... Chevrolet Cruze.

Uhm, since you have stated that 50% from the 850k will be loaned won't you consider a second-hand unit ? Such as the good ol` CVT Honda Jazz which is known to be really fuel efficient. Coz these will be definitely cheaper at your part and you will be at ease since you won't be having any payments to think about - annual insurance. chattel mortgage. monthly bills. etc.
    Thanks renzo. Dagdag ko sa iisipin if I might be better served by a second hand unit for the reasons you mentioned.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
First car purchase, recommendations are most welcome.