New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    My mom says we might finally be able to buy our next car soon.

We've been considering the Lancer GLX and the Vios E when we thought we would be able to buy the car last month and we nearly bought a GLX.

However, we have heard that the price of the GLX is back to the 685k margin. With this, I have opened up the possibility of the Vios and the City A to my parents, although my personal preference is the City A.

My mom also wants the City because it is a Honda and Honda has not let us down for the past 11 years. My dad, on the other hand, still thinks the Lancer is more worth it, considering that the prices of the three are at around the same region, and it has a bigger body and bigger engine. On the other hand, the City produces 100hp while the Lancer is at 105hp(?, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I would appreciate it if you share your two cents about this three-car toss up. We're just looking for a car which is decent enough for city driving, and the occasional trips to Tagaytay and maybe even Bicol.

No need for the really fancy features, just a car with a spacious and neat interior and trunk, with airconditioning, with a radio, with seatbelts, and hopefully with ABS. We're also looking for a reliable and fuel efficient car, easy to maintain and we hope the car is already established to be a good and decent car. And I hope your options are Japanese, and not Nissan. My dad has some sort of allergy with Korean, Chinese and Nissan cars.

Yeah, I know I'm in a weird situation because of weird prerequisites, and I hope I can make the most out of it.

Thank you very much for your inputs!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Akala ko decided na kayo sa GLX? Haha.

Prices in ascending order:

Vios 1.3E MT 664,000
    City 1.3A MT 676,000
    Lancer GLX 1.6 685,000
    City 1.3S MT 716,000

Assessments:
    VIOS
    Car to beat. It's the cheapest, offers 1 Airbag safety-wise despite having a smaller body, and it's toyota durability. For a 2007/2008 model, I think that there's going to be a worldwide facelifted car (pics are on the net, but nothing much - just see what they did with the 2009 civic)

LANCER
    Compact car with an aging design. Obviously more expensive than the Vios. However compared to the Vios, the car is 200mm (20cm) longer, packs more punch than the Vios (85HP vs 110HP), carries double disc brakes and a pair of airbags. You get the pros of a larger car with a bigger engine, but also the disadvantages that come with it. Main advantage would be its size. Try to enter each car to see how much bigger the Lancer really is over the others you are comparing it with.

CITY A
    Newest of the bunch, but with the lowest trim. Powerful engine potential for a 1.3L WHEN you redline it, but lacks some basic things compared to the 2 other cars such as airbags, keyless entry, REAL alloy wheels (if you're particular about this) among others. The city also reportedly has one of the largest trunks for a subcompact sedan.

Would rather have you check out the City S-
    +airbags
    +keyless entry/stock alarm
    +ipod connectivity via USB (the A can't charge your ipod)
    +alloy wheels (LOL)

IMO/Final conclusion:
    Toss up between the Vios and the Lancer depending on what you want/need.

The City A is too bare for me to justify (this is coming from a person who prefers hondas, mitsubishis and subarus to toyotas)

If you really want to do a little more research objectively:
    - Get a price list of the regular preventive maintenance service from the casa.
    - Check out which car offers greater front/back legroom and trunk space for the price.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Akala ko decided na kayo sa GLX? Haha.

Prices in ascending order:

Vios 1.3E MT 664,000
    City 1.3A MT 676,000
    Lancer GLX 1.6 685,000
    City 1.3S MT 716,000
    City S is already too much, hanggang Lancer GLX na lang siguro. But then and again, we initially considered this kasi sa 638k lang pumapatak yung price after discounts, cheaper than the 20k discount offered to us for the Vios. Now, we might end up going for the Vios kung price lang pag-uusapan

Assessments:
    VIOS
    Car to beat. It's the cheapest, offers 1 Airbag safety-wise despite having a smaller body, and it's toyota durability. For a 2007/2008 model, I think that there's going to be a worldwide facelifted car (pics are on the net, but nothing much - just see what they did with the 2009 civic)

LANCER
    Compact car with an aging design. Obviously more expensive than the Vios. However compared to the Vios, the car is 200mm (20cm) longer, packs more punch than the Vios (85HP vs 110HP), carries double disc brakes and a pair of airbags. You get the pros of a larger car with a bigger engine, but also the disadvantages that come with it. Main advantage would be its size. Try to enter each car to see how much bigger the Lancer really is over the others you are comparing it with.

CITY A
    Newest of the bunch, but with the lowest trim. Powerful engine potential for a 1.3L WHEN you redline it, but lacks some basic things compared to the 2 other cars such as airbags, keyless entry, REAL alloy wheels (if you're particular about this) among others. The city also reportedly has one of the largest trunks for a subcompact sedan.

Would rather have you check out the City S-
    +airbags
    +keyless entry/stock alarm
    +ipod connectivity via USB (the A can't charge your ipod)
    +alloy wheels (LOL)
    For me the Vios is a really good car, but sometimes it happens to be too plain (you see a lot of Vios units around, but that's also good thing, speaking of the car's reliability and value). Pero it's actually quite elegant and stylish too, some of my rich friends were given by their parents a Vios E (and they have drivers for that car!) and the feel is very much comparable to more expensive cars daw.

The Lancer used to be cheaper than the Vios, that's why we nearly bought it. But yes, it's a bigger car and it has more power. I got to ride in it and it's actually a pretty nice car, but I really feel it's quite dated, and even though there are only a few '09 Lancer GLX/GLS around, I have a bad feeling that it has something to do with the car's reliability kaya hindi masyado maganda ang sales niya. This isn't really a bad car, but for me it's quite so-so.

The only "disturbing" thing for me about the City is the lack of REAL alloy wheels, but everything else is fine. And we definitely need the trunk space. However, the price is somehow painful for a 1.3 given its features nga (but this is obviously better than a Vios J, in my opinion). And we can't afford to stretch our budget just for the City 1.3S, and personally I don't think the 50,000 price difference to get real alloy wheels, FLEX Audio and 2 airbags is worth it.

IMO/Final conclusion:
    Toss up between the Vios and the Lancer depending on what you want/need.

The City A is too bare for me to justify (this is coming from a person who prefers hondas, mitsubishis and subarus to toyotas)

If you really want to do a little more research objectively:
    - Get a price list of the regular preventive maintenance service from the casa.
    - Check out which car offers greater front/back legroom and trunk space for the price.
    Personally it's a toss-up for me between the Vios and the City, but your opinions have somehow made me realize that the Lancer should actually be given real consideration (I just considered it dati thanks to parental brainwashing, hehehe).

The City A might be too bare but actually for my family, it's ok na. We just wish na the price is quite competitive sa Vios E (681k na ngayon yung City) AND they put real alloy rims. Kung for some sort of miracle mangyari nga yun, baka City pa bilhin namin.

About the legroom, I personally don't have qualms about that of the City (a friend has one, maluwag siya!) and the Lancer (I didn't really expect that the interior is that spacious). Yung sa Vios, yung sa likod maluwag (confident ako diyan, and that's why I really love riding Vios cabs) while yung sa harap medyo masikip (or maybe that's because nung nakisabay ako sa friend ko from a class to my dorm, the front seat was put forward because usually no one sits there and she sits at the back right corner, that I didn't really notice).

Trunk space naman, I think winner ang City dito. And sometimes marami talaga kaming baggage. The Vios also has respectable trunk space (and 60-40 folding seats, if I am not mistaken?) while the Lancer is somehow in the so-so side.

Thank you very much for all your inputs, sir! I really appreciate it.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by after11years View Post
    City S is already too much, hanggang Lancer GLX na lang siguro. But then and again, we initially considered this kasi sa 638k lang pumapatak yung price after discounts, cheaper than the 20k discount offered to us for the Vios. Now, we might end up going for the Vios kung price lang pag-uusapan
    The City S is really my choice though - except the Vios E's features at the price point makes it the undeniable favorite.

For me the Vios is a really good car, but sometimes it happens to be too plain (you see a lot of Vios units around, but that's also good thing, speaking of the car's reliability and value). Pero it's actually quite elegant and stylish too, some of my rich friends were given by their parents a Vios E (and they have drivers for that car!) and the feel is very much comparable to more expensive cars daw.
    Agree with the plain-ness, along with the legions of vios-es (+taxi) around. I actually like the red/blue units though. Overall design-wise, I'll still take the city (only kung S variant haha)

The Lancer used to be cheaper than the Vios, that's why we nearly bought it. But yes, it's a bigger car and it has more power. I got to ride in it and it's actually a pretty nice car, but I really feel it's quite dated, and even though there are only a few '09 Lancer GLX/GLS around, I have a bad feeling that it has something to do with the car's reliability kaya hindi masyado maganda ang sales niya. This isn't really a bad car, but for me it's quite so-so.
    The reason why the "09" Lancer GLX isn't selling is (IN MY OPINION) because not only is the model extremely old, but that there's also a newer car carrying the LANCER nameplate. Well, the fact that the brands that are known for reliability/durability don't really start with the letter "M" doesn't help either.

The only "disturbing" thing for me about the City is the lack of REAL alloy wheels, but everything else is fine. And we definitely need the trunk space. However, the price is somehow painful for a 1.3 given its features nga (but this is obviously better than a Vios J, in my opinion). And we can't afford to stretch our budget just for the City 1.3S, and personally I don't think the 50,000 price difference to get real alloy wheels, FLEX Audio and 2 airbags is worth it.
    IMO, the wheels are easily replaceable but the lack of things like airbags are extremely difficult/expensive to replace within the life of the car.

Personally it's a toss-up for me between the Vios and the City, but your opinions have somehow made me realize that the Lancer should actually be given real consideration (I just considered it dati thanks to parental brainwashing, hehehe).
    Kapag City S sana, no brainer na for me

The City A might be too bare but actually for my family, it's ok na. We just wish na the price is quite competitive sa Vios E (681k na ngayon yung City) AND they put real alloy rims. Kung for some sort of miracle mangyari nga yun, baka City pa bilhin namin.
    Yeah, it's just the price hurting the City's case. With the Vios 1.5G M/T in the 750k price range, malabo nga talaga :/

About the legroom, I personally don't have qualms about that of the City (a friend has one, maluwag siya!) and the Lancer (I didn't really expect that the interior is that spacious). Yung sa Vios, yung sa likod maluwag (confident ako diyan, and that's why I really love riding Vios cabs) while yung sa harap medyo masikip (or maybe that's because nung nakisabay ako sa friend ko from a class to my dorm, the front seat was put forward because usually no one sits there and she sits at the back right corner, that I didn't really notice).
    No experience with either 3 cars, sorry.

Trunk space naman, I think winner ang City dito. And sometimes marami talaga kaming baggage. The Vios also has respectable trunk space (and 60-40 folding seats, if I am not mistaken?) while the Lancer is somehow in the so-so side.
    Winner nga yung City here, aside from the 60/40 folding seats (meron nga) of the Vios.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Ako rin, gusto ko talaga nung City S. Well kung swertehin at makakuha ng really respectable discounts such that hindi masyadong malayo yung price nya from the Vios and the Lancer, sure why not? Sana sub-700k ang kalabasan. However, I do hope at around November or December, maganda ang discounts na makuha, kasi kung ganun na nga, City S na! Bakit ba kasi ang mahal. T_T

Siguro nga tama kayo about the Lancer.

And I personally believe na mas ok na ang big car kaysa airbags. Personal reasons, kaya ok lang sa akin na walang airbags.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    between the vios e and the lancer glx, i would go for the lancer. more features, bigger and more powerful engine.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Same with sir VLAD. Between the 2, i'd get the lancer more amenities and safety features. However if you would still like to pursue to have the City A placed in your list despite its lacking features, i`d still get it over the three. Even though if it doesnt have keyless entry, alloy wheels, and flex audio.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Mahina ang engine at aircon ng City 1.3 variants..So mag Lancer ka nalang!

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hoy Joe. Tinext na kita kanina. Pero uulitin ko yung sagot ko. Lancer GLX po ser. :D Pero pwede narin yung Vios E. :D

Why Lancer?
    + Bigger engine (seriously 300cc makes a difference. I've driven the Cedia Lancer (MX nga lang) and ridden the Vios 1.3E. Iba feel nung hatak ng 1.6. Partida CVT pa yun, mas malakas parin hatak.

+ Bigger space. Hoy Joe alam mo naman na hindi ka ***y. Maaappreciate mo yung extra interior space ng Lancer. (Though the Vios is more efficient in the sense that it offers lots of space for its subcompact frame, iba parin yung may mas malaking kaha.

+ It's a much better long distance car because its a compact. Diba umuuwi kayo bicol. Maappreciate mo to. Ano gusto mo, yung bagahe mo sa trunk yung masaya o ikaw? Yung Vios daw pag 150 takbo para na daw liliparin.

+ Pogi i-set up. Haha gusto mo ng magandang kotseng ipapamana sayo diba. Di hamak na mas maganda isetup ang Lancer kaysa Vios at lalo na yung City A.

Why Not Lancer?

- Kasi luma na siya.
    - Matakaw sa gas ang 1.6 lalo na compared sa Vios engine
    - Mitsu has issues. But most of it came from the Pizza Pie model. Yung mga Cedia owners generally ok naman ang feedback. Mas madami pa ngang umaangal sa D4D ng Toyota.

Why Vios?

- Kasi modern siya. Fresher interior and exterior.
    - Very frugal engine. Kaya nga favorite ng taxi operators eh.
    - Spacious considering subcompact (still less spacious than Lancer though), kaya uli favorite ng taxi operators.
    - Mura parts. Again, taxi operators love this thing.
    - Good value for money. Speced similar to a 1.3S but priced cheaper than a 1.3A.
    - Looks decent. Hindi bare tulad ng 1.3A.
    - Generally maganda build quality nito. Again with the taxi operators. Pramis sila talaga inisip ng Toyota nung ginawa tong kotseng to

Why not Vios?
    - Since taxi operators love it, sobrang daming nakakalat. 12000 units last year. Kasawa. Pero good car parin.
    - Hindi ko trip yung likod niya.
    - Smaller than Lancer

Why City?
    - Kasi its the most modern among the 3. However, modern nga bare naman.
    - You like ABS.

Why not City?
    - Underspeced for the price
    - Engine isn't particularly lusty. Kailangan talagang upper revs para mafeel yung 100 hp niya. City driving and it's just like a Vios yet less efficient.
    - Steel rims. seriously?
    - Doesn't offer anything special that the other two don't. And yet it's priced the same.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    As the "ber" months (ie. Sept- Dec) approaches, there are less and less discounts (maybe none by Dec.) bec. sales usually pick up in these months. Better seal the deal within this month. :D

From the price point perspective, the Vios 1.3E is a very good candidate. The City 1.3A is too expensive and not competitive (feature-wise and price/performance) to the Vios 1.3E. Lancer is too old (that body came out in 1Q 2003).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Lancer GLX, Vios E or City A?