New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    My wife and i are planning to buy a compact suv within the next few months. We have narrowed down our list to a very broad choice of 4 models. I would like your opinion lang din sana. Here are some info that may guide you in helping us out.

- the new vehicle will be for my wife. She has previously owned a toyota corolla altis and currently driving a mitsubishi lancer itlog
    - my wife mentions that she wants space
    - my wife is not knowlegeable about cars so i am guiding her but she is a bit stubborn in listening to me (hence this post)
    - my wife values brand image; though she will not admit it, she is the type of person who values how she projects her image towards others...i know her perfectly well
    - use of the car will be for city driving
    - we have 2 daughters, aged 3 and 7
    - we currently have 2 cars, a honda civic and her lancer

Here are our choices:

Honda CR-V 4x2
    Mazda CX 5
    Subaru Forester 2.0 XS
    Subaru XV Premium

Were not keen about the Kia Sportage and the Hyundai Tucson. Also, we're ruling out the Fortuner and the Montero Sport for personal reasons. All the models above priced very close so it's a matter of balancing the needs and the overall value.

Please do help us out.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    On a side note, i used to work an automotive manufacturing firm under their new car development section. I had a talk with the wife to get more information on how i can help her in choosing. However, i mentioned earlier that she is a bit stubborn listening to me. I have my own personal choice among these but she doesn't take my advice. Told her that you cant have it all, i mean everything she wishes in a car for her budget and said to evaluate your needs....to ask herself if she really needs it. I believe my wife is part of the car buying population that thinks big cars mean safer cars and they give you that sense of "class/sosyal" image. Im trying my very best to educate her in her choice but seems she is more emotional rather than rational.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    If she wants space, take either the CRV or the CX5. Both are very new in the local market and will carry more "wow" factor.

Brandwise, Honda carries a little more clout than Mazda here in the Philippines.

The CRV is CBU Japan (imported directly instead of knockdown unit), and if you wait a little longer for the Thailand variants you may be able to get a little more kit and toys for the same amount or cheaper. Better ask people from Honda if they have any idea re: this.

The Forester is probably an outgoing model as the Impreza platform was replaced only recently. Baka ayaw niya ng New-Old car.

The XV is smaller inside compared to the other choices, like an Impreza on stilts. Nice "porma" car though.

Bottom line I guess, the vehicles on your current shortlist aren't bad, so whatever the wife wants - I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Last edited by mda; July 11th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    subaru forester. subaru has the most "sosyal" image in these choices. so stuck up with forester and XV. for me, mas may class ang forester at mas malaki space, kung tutuusin pwede sya lagyan ng 2 seater sa likod e.

btw, what is your personal choice among these?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Bottom line I guess, the vehicles on your current shortlist aren't bad, so whatever the wife wants - I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    agree..

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The CX5 might just have everything she needs, without the extras she doesn't. Does the car need to be an automatic? Can it be a stick?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Hi dct. Here was how i got to my personal choice.

CRV - new model, good space, lacks features compared to the rest, imaging is ok but not as good as before since competition has stepped up and honda may have been complacent na with the designs and features. personally i think it's butt-ugly...the butt lang...proportions are off. But thats just me. Its a 4x2 fwd, nothing against it but AWD is a plus.

CX5 - new model, good space almost the same as the CRV, Safety features are good, actually better than the crv 4x2, but being a mechanical engineer i do have reservations with Sky Activ which hindi nasagot by Mazda salespeople. Likewise, nag research din ako sa net on possible answers but wala so far so that leaves a question mark sa akin. Likewise, Ford has pulled out or Mazda so they are left without a backbone so to speak and they are betting all their money on Sky Activ. Also 4x2 fwd. Not sure about you guys but the think the front, particularly the gaping grille looks off...the grille is as big as a whale sharks mouth smiling...but that just me again.

Forester XS - it's an old model with an impending fmc release next year. However its aging quite nicely. space is good but slightly smaller in legroom than the cx5 and the crv. The 2.0 engine is the new ej20 from subaru which has been improved to give out better fuel efficiency. Safety is top notch with traction control, vdc, air bags all around. Safety is the same as cx5.

XV Premium - fresh new model iterration from the new impreza, the most carlike among these. Safey again is top notch same as the forested plus awd. Has the cvt chain drive fror better fc and boasts of the new ej20 engine. Legroom is the same as the forester, headroom is slightly smaller than the rest of these due to the rear roof strake. The drawback of this is the small boot space compared to the 3.

My personal choice was the XV. Told my wife to assess her need of space. She usually drives alone or with me on weekdays, we take the kids out on weekends within manila. We do out of town trips probably twice a year so thats the only time when the space becomes an issue. The model is new, its safe, youre going to get an suv, then why not go for the model that has awd with a hidden off road character, imaging is good among all the japanese brands, its a global model. Reviews so far are good especially with the fuel consumption though being awd. Has other features you only wished you had like the moonroof, bluetooth, the mfd, and others pa.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The CX5 might just have everything she needs, without the extras she doesn't. Does the car need to be an automatic? Can it be a stick?
    Hi niky...automatic sir.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    I guess you guys can imagine the question mark look on her face when i explained all this to her...tigas ulo...ahhhh women!!!

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    If she wants space, take either the CRV or the CX5. Both are very new in the local market and will carry more "wow" factor.

Brandwise, Honda carries a little more clout than Mazda here in the Philippines.

The CRV is CBU Japan (imported directly instead of knockdown unit), and if you wait a little longer for the Thailand variants you may be able to get a little more kit and toys for the same amount or cheaper. Better ask people from Honda if they have any idea re: this.

The Forester is probably an outgoing model as the Impreza platform was replaced only recently. Baka ayaw niya ng New-Old car.

The XV is smaller inside compared to the other choices, like an Impreza on stilts. Nice "porma" car though.

Thanks mda for the inputs. On a side note, i doubt honda will trim the cost once they shift the crv production from japan to thailand. I just know the company too well hehehe

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
Choosing a compact suv - need your help