New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Grabe, ngayon lang ako nag back read. Lead footed pala ang asawa mo! Cars with output at the vicinity of 150hp does not quench her thirst for speed! :devil: Sorento na talaga kung ganun... Kapag na-test drive na niya baka gusto na bumili on the spot. :clap:
    Thanks GTi and niky. However, the wife ruled out Korean brands eh. Kaya it even made things harder. Hindi naman sya lead footed. Ewan ko ba, when she test drives, kulang na lang pati mag ABS test sya. But when she drives regularly, ok naman. Steady lang.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by allenjo View Post
    Hi jut...it does look good in red. Just have to get over the hedge with some questions about mazda, sky activ as a whole. Need to research some more.
    Basically SkyActiv is Mazda's monicker for a new breed of engines, transmissions and chassis.

Don't lose sleep over it - it's still a gasoline-fed engine that produces 166 horsepower from 2,000cc of displacement. Nothing spectacular there. Nothing game-changing about the 6-speed AT either, though I must say it's a very responsive one. Even the body's supposedly improved with SkyActiv, but truth is, it's just as heavy as the other compact SUVs.

Looking at the overall package and how it drives though, I find the CX-5 to be better than a lot of its competitors.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Basically SkyActiv is Mazda's monicker for a new breed of engines, transmissions and chassis.

Don't lose sleep over it - it's still a gasoline-fed engine that produces 166 horsepower from 2,000cc of displacement. Nothing spectacular there. Nothing game-changing about the 6-speed AT either, though I must say it's a very responsive one. Even the body's supposedly improved with SkyActiv, but truth is, it's just as heavy as the other compact SUVs.

Looking at the overall package and how it drives though, I find the CX-5 to be better than a lot of its competitors.
    Yup that was the information i jave been reading. Was looking for more information from a structural standpoint. Andun questions ko. Puro marketing info lang kasi nababasa ko.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    SkyActiv is not just marketing.

The SkyActiv D is unique for diesels in that it has an ultra low 14:1 compression ratio... but we're not getting that... let's focus on the gasoline engine...

The SkyActiv G engine has an extremely high 14:1 (13:1 in some markets) compression ratio. This is unheard of for a mass market non-performance car engine running on pump gas. Mazda manages to do it through a combination of direct injection, efficient exhaust scavenging (via the 4-2-1 exhaust manifold) and cooled EGR. Direct injection and the 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, I wouldn't worry about any more than any other system, but if the cooled EGR is necessary to prevent knock, I wonder about how it'd deal with crappy gas. The SkyActiv will need to burn very cleanly to prevent carbon build up or coking on the cooled EGR valve.

Or, I'm wondering, does the cooling prevent coking on the EGR valve, similar to the benefits of running coolant through the throttle-body? There's no indication in the press material I've read for the SkyActiv so far.
    Last edited by niky; July 11th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thanks GTi and niky. However, the wife ruled out Korean brands eh. Kaya it even made things harder. Hindi naman sya lead footed. Ewan ko ba, when she test drives, kulang na lang pati mag ABS test sya. But when she drives regularly, ok naman. Steady lang.
    Hahaha~ Nice! Tell you what, you can let her read this thread. After all Hyundai has kicked Honda out of the 3rd slot in terms of sales, and Kia has posted record sales growth numbers in the past few months. Also explain that this is not only better, but also more practical and easier on the family budget. Mapapa-isip talaga yan.

Pero kung ayaw talaga, my vote goes to the CRV. Honda cars have traditionally held better resale values than Mazda. The simpler engine also has lesser stuff to go wrong in the long run. It also looks more mature, more befitting for the high ranking professional.

6. Join Date
    May 2005

Forester XS - it's an old model with an impending fmc release next year. However its aging quite nicely. space is good but slightly smaller in legroom than the cx5 and the crv. The 2.0 engine is the new
    FB20 from subaru which has been improved to give out better fuel efficiency. Safety is top notch with traction control, vdc, air bags all around. Safety is the same as cx5.

XV Premium - fresh new model iterration from the new impreza, the most carlike among these. Safey again is top notch same as the forested plus awd. Has the cvt chain drive fror better fc and boasts of the new FB20 engine. Legroom is the same as the forester, headroom is slightly smaller than the rest of these due to the rear roof strake. The drawback of this is the small boot space compared to the 3.
    New FB20 engine pala...yung luma yung EJ20 hehe my mistake

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Now you're talking niky. The info you gave is the tip of the iceberg. Im actually looking for thermal tolerances of cylinder and the block due to the unusually high compression ratio. Wont bother to go to the other questions pa. Sorry the mech eng side is getting the best of me now since part din to ng work ko dati with the auto industry.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    GTi now that you mentioned it, pinakita ko sa wife ko....wala NR sya.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you mentioned earlier that your wife wants a roomier suv, but you don't see the need as you only have 2 kids. have you considered that maybe she really wants a bigger car because she is, umm, want one more?

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Hahaha* yebo....sya yung may ayaw na

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Choosing a compact suv - need your help