New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi tsikoteers, im a newbie here, hope i get helpful responses. i'm not well versed w/ technicalities of a car. i just buy whatever i fancy that's within my budget. right now, a bmw z4 is giving me sleepless nights. however, my friend showed me his posche boxter s in yellow, a 2005 bought for 3.5m. my budget is around 2.5m only so that can get me a bmw z4 2004 matic, or a boxter 2002 i think. which do you recommend in terms of overall appearance, performance, maintenance, "headturning" factor, etc. pls help peeps. if any of you is also selling those, you may pm me. thanx

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    errmm tough decision.. i've driven only the 3.0 liter z4 briefly and a stock boxster (not s) from sta rosa back to manila. i would say the 3 liter z4 got more power but since the local version is only 2.5L so medyo iba rin (190hp?).. i wasnt too impress with the boxster that time. it sounded nicer than the z4 though and i got a thumbs-up from a bunch of big bikers on the highway as they zoom pass me hehe

as for looks, you can go mild to wild with the boxster and i think there are more kits, rims, aftermarket parts for the porsche din than the z4..

so most likely i will pick the boxster lalo na kung 5 speed manual tranny.. kung pasok sa budget, get the boxster s which comes with 6 speed manual tranny.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Between your choices, I'd pick the Boxster.

For 2M I'd take a look at the 350Z and S2000.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posing power? Definitely the Z4

Driving? Surprise, the Z4 again

The only real sore point is the lack of a manual gearbox here.

Any photos of the Boxster you were offered? I'd pass on it if it were the older 986 model (too awkward looking), but the 987 is worth a test drive.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Get the Boxster... Remember, it's a Porsche, it's still well-balanced, and you get better brakes. The Z4 is just too Americana for me. In a Porsche, I believe you get better quality, but check the clutch, to test it, take it for a test drive, feel the biting point of the clutch, and check for slips. Another thing to check is the oil filler cap, it's colored yellow located in the rear baggage compartment, check if the there's a white mayonnaise thingy. If it reaches the cap it might be a sign of cylinder imperfections which means a change engine.

The digital odometer of the Boxster is easy to hack... Check the condition of the seats, dashboard if it's at par with the mileage. And of course, check the instrument panel if there are signs of screws.
    Last edited by drey; February 4th, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
    iam3739.com

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    thanx for informative replies guys, however as i've said i'm not well versed w/ technical terms hehe so hafta do some more research.

i'm inclined to gettting a z4 since i was told to go for a carrera instead of a boxter, too bad my budget is way far from it. isn't this boxter- "poor man's porsche," as they say, actually poor in performance or ok naman overall? at least kse un z4 is not the lowest kind among bmw models diba.

hi drey and hungryalien, prob is, i can't drive a manual so non applicable ang 6gear at clutch hehe

hi type100, the yellow boxter is my friend's, not for sale. pero maganda rin talaga kse 2005 na yellow boxter s, nakaka inlove din so im torn

looks like boxter is getting the lead ha, pero diba mas ok ang specs ng z4? i got confused na tuloy mas gusto ko pa naman z4

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Either will do but BMW Z4 is more rare than the porsche. It doesn't matter if boxster is the poor man's porsche. It's still a porsche and not everyone can afford it. At the end of the day, V8 and V10 engines will just sweep your wallet on gas expenses.

There's a 2002 Boxster in Buyandsell that sells for 1.7M, though lately it seems to have changed hands since the price went up to 1.9 then now to 2.2.

If you want performance, try to check if your 2.5M can buy you a BMW 530d (E60 body). It combines luxury, economy and power. It's a turbo diesel racing sedan.
    Last edited by Horsepower; February 4th, 2008 at 04:24 PM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    thanx for the tip horsepower, will try to check out that porsche, that's quite low for a 2002 ha. i used to dream of owning a 5series bmw, but i find it too daddyish for my age hehe, and i've had sedans in the past, it's gonna be my first sportscar if ever pls keep the inputs coming in guys, it would be very helpful for my decision making. thanx mucho!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i've driven the 530d and boy that car got torque! and speed.. went up to around 220kph without any trouble..

kung matic.. hmm the porsche got the tiptronic version, which is sportier.. the bmw got the steptrpnics and the smg version. all have sports mode..

best siguro to test drive both and try it out for yourself.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    A little tune and some delimiting, it'll go to 300kmh+

It doesn't really look daddyish to me because of its wild looks.

you can mod it to look like an M5 though. hehehe

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
BMW Z4 or Porsche Boxster? which is better? pls help