New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 146 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1576
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    are we talking about local stop and go traffic, or are we talking about long, traffic-free highway drives?

i have both AT and MT versions of the same car, and i can easily say that in everyday city driving, the MT gives me at least 10% more km/li than the AT.
    i also noticed, that, on the highway, my MT was doing about 2200 rpm to do 80 kph, while my AT did about 1800 rpm to do 80 kph.

a few years back, i vaguely remember a fuel-efficiency challenge involving various locally-sourced cars, sponsored by a fuel company (?). the cars traveled on actual local roads, but with some amount of traffic control. i do not remember the results. does anyone remember this? did any of the AT equivalents out-km their MT versions?
    Last edited by dr. d; October 12th, 2019 at 11:59 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ^Automatic transmissions are heavier than the manual counterpart that accounts for the fuel savings

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Yeah AT is still heavier, and still has slightly more parasitic loss. The main advantage is now in having more ratios for better gear spread, allowing the car to be in a more efficient RPM range more of the time.

6MT vs 6AT version of the same car the MT will definitely win in fuel economy. What's interesting is when we now compare 6MT vs 8AT, or even 9AT or 10AT of the same car.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    More than a decade or so ago, iba pa definition ng A/T and M/T.

A/T would have a torque converter and typically have 1 or 2 less gears than their M/T counterparts.

M/T would have a manual dry clutch and stick shift.

Nowadays, that line has blurred to a point that we have A/Ts that behaves more and more like an M/T.... Dual dry clutch, manual gear selection, etc. which oftentimes makes it at par with conventional stick-shift M/T in fuel economy.

Then there’s also CVT.... technically also an A/T, but not quite in the same ballpark as traditional A/Ts.

But one thing is still certain, A/T and all its variants will always have a higher TCO.... the price of convenience.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Basta 3 ang pedal manual.. pag 2 lang automatic

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    Basta 3 ang pedal manual.. pag 2 lang automatic
    That’s basically automatic vs manual clutch.

Yan na lang ang distinction kasi ang A/T madalas may manual mode na rin. At meron din A/T na counter-shaft gearing ang design (parang traditional M/T) at hindi planetary gears.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    More than a decade or so ago, iba pa definition ng A/T and M/T.

A/T would have a torque converter and typically have 1 or 2 less gears than their M/T counterparts.

M/T would have a manual dry clutch and stick shift.

Nowadays, that line has blurred to a point that we have A/Ts that behaves more and more like an M/T.... Dual dry clutch, manual gear selection, etc. which oftentimes makes it at par with conventional stick-shift M/T in fuel economy.

Then there’s also CVT.... technically also an A/T, but not quite in the same ballpark as traditional A/Ts.

But one thing is still certain, A/T and all its variants will always have a higher TCO.... the price of convenience.
    ano sir ibig sabihin ng TCO? thanks

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    ano sir ibig sabihin ng TCO? thanks
    Total Cost of Ownership (cost for the whole lifetime of anything)

1. Purchase cost - Mas mahal vs M/T
    2. Preventive maintenance - Mas mahal at marami din (liters) ang ATF vs MTF, plus kung may filter pa na papalitan or kung ipapa-dialysis
    3. Repair maintenance - Mas mahal ang baba, baklas, palit ng mga parts like clutch packs, solenoids, etc. Mas mahal din diagnostics dahil sa dami ng electronics
    4. Resale value - Mas mababa resale value usually pag A/T

All in all, talagang binabayaran mo sa A/T ay convenience. Talo ka kung outright monetary value lang magiging basehan.

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Total Cost of Ownership (cost for the whole lifetime of anything)

4. Resale value - Mas mababa resale value usually pag A/T

All in all, talagang binabayaran mo sa A/T ay convenience. Talo ka kung outright monetary value lang magiging basehan.
    itong last 2nd hand purchase ko bro mas mahal na AT

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    A/T tama si oj, purely for convenience at mas willing magkasa sa gastusan pagdating sa maintenance at repair. Masama naka A/T pero ayaw gumastos puro convenience lang gusto pagdating sa huli.

M/T pangmatagalan at para sa matyaga (challenge yan) at praktikal pagdating sa maintenance at repair. Meron din naka M/T pero hindi kuripot