New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 158 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    with technology so advance nowadays, we have manumatics all around us. if i have the money i'd always get the matics.

that's why for our home sedan we got the honda city 1.3 cvt automatic. drives like a charm and does not consume a lot of gas. if only we have the budget would have chosen the matic also for the 4x4 isuzu dmax. but the manual tranny will do for now.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by usokpower View Post
    I get to hear excuses that AT consumes more gas than a MT. But with the technology today the figures are hardly apart. I have driven a 92 Corolla GLI AT and a 96 Civic VTI AT and I manage to get 9-11 km/litre. The worse that I got is 7-8 km/litre.
    The Honda GD FIT/JAZZ is the best example of this. The car seems to be more biased to A/T than M/T. Kaya from user feedback, the 7-speed CVT and even the 5-speed A/T (US-spec models) have better FC than its 5-speed manual counterpart.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I'd consider a CVT or a DSG, maybe, but since there are no CVTs on compacts at the moment (Honda Civic 2.0 CVT, anyone? Or Focus Sport Diesel 2.0 CVT? :evil: ), and DSG equipped ars are just too expensive for me, I'll stick with the stick.
    As for now, wala pa ngang compacts that are sold dito sa Pinas that have a CVT. Yet sa ibang bansa, they've started to appear in quite a number of models. Lalo na sa Japan kung saan they are seen in huge numbers.

It sucks though that Japan gets the good stuff tapos tayo naman ang napapaiwan in newer vehicle technologies

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Doesn't the outgoing Lancer MX come with a CVT? and isn't the Lancer a compact car?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, it's the only one with CVT... maybe I should have said modern compacts... hehehe...

The new Sentra also has CVT... of course, it's hard to tell when Yulon will bring it in... (maybe 2015?... by then we'll be the only country in the world still selling the N15 Sentra).

Quote Originally Posted by usokpower View Post
    I get to hear excuses that AT consumes more gas than a MT. But with the technology today the figures are hardly apart. I have driven a 92 Corolla GLI AT and a 96 Civic VTI AT and I manage to get 9-11 km/litre. The worse that I got is 7-8 km/litre.

Although Mt has a quicker response and you can drive the car at your liking. Id still choose the AT for practicality. With the heavy traffic here I dont need a responsive tranny.
    But you can still get much much more out of a manual than that. Despite low gearing, I've seen occassional bursts of 14 km/l and 16 km/l from my 2.0 MT on the NLEX. The worst I get in regular rush hour traffic is 8 km/l (versus 7 km/l for 2.0 ATs).

I don't have hard figures, but Civic VTis with MTs get much better fuel economy than those with ATs... Honda ATs at the time weren't very sophisticated.

The new CVTs, though, are something else... none of that "drag" that conventional ATs have.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I saw a number of the new Sentra (the Tiida, isn't it?) when I was in China.

It doesn't look so great. I would say even the superannuated Corolla looks better than the Tiida.

If Yulon brought that in, it would still probably suffer from laggard sales. Another fleet special? It is an improvement over the current Sentra though (but then a lot of things are...)

If they brought in the Versa, now.. that would be a different story. Not as handsome as the Mazda3 hatch, but with a longer wheelbase and probably better engine, if they price it right they could have a winner on their hands.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hehe... OT na yun. Yeah, the Versa is much more attractive than the new Sentra... but it sits between the Jazz/Yaris segment and the Civic/Corolla segment.

Looks cute... of course the number of times they plug it on "Heroes" is kinda annoying...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    'ey niky.. 'indi OT

the Versa is available with a CVT as well.

if they brought that in at sub-800K price it would really be a bombshell.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Sana nga...

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro, in Heroes
    See? This is me and Ando, in this comic book... See? Same car! Nissan Versa! (ad infinitum, ad nauseum...)

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yeah, it's the only one with CVT... maybe I should have said modern compacts... hehehe...

The new Sentra also has CVT... of course, it's hard to tell when Yulon will bring it in... (maybe 2015?... by then we'll be the only country in the world still selling the N15 Sentra).

But you can still get much much more out of a manual than that. Despite low gearing, I've seen occassional bursts of 14 km/l and 16 km/l from my 2.0 MT on the NLEX. The worst I get in regular rush hour traffic is 8 km/l (versus 7 km/l for 2.0 ATs).

I don't have hard figures, but Civic VTis with MTs get much better fuel economy than those with ATs... Honda ATs at the time weren't very sophisticated.

The new CVTs, though, are something else... none of that "drag" that conventional ATs have.
    I totally agree. The CVT on the city is certainly impressive to me ... for an AT of course. Shucks, it made our city seem way more responsive than a mid-sized taurus I drove for a couple of months. Pero until they can get that on almost everything, going for a CVT will be very limiting in terms of choice. As for regular AT, convenient siya ... until you're behind a slow bus going to baguio, a slow trike nearing a curve, or merging on the interstate.