New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse323 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2019 mazda cx5 2.2L diesel from mazda sta rosa last dec 27ish. I had a 2018 crv diesel awd 1.5L 7 seater, but i sold it after 6 months. That large of a space wasnt necessary for me and i wanted something a bit fun to drive. Here's my take on these vehicles:

Interior quality wise: cx5. Alot of people commend mazda for having a beautiful interior that even rivals most german vehicles in its segment.

Exterior: cx5 looks the best in its segment. It looks even better than the bmw x1.

Interior space: crv (undisputed king in its segment)

Engine: hands down the cx5 2.2
    l diesel awd. 420nm at 174hp, it's one of the most powerful engines in its segment second to the foresters turbocharged engine which will be removed in 2019.You also don't get that smell from the exhaust usually present in diesel engines.

Gas consumption: crv. Cx 5's gas consumption was almost identical to its petrol counterpart. Mazda chose to sacrifice gas mileage for performance.

Ride quality: practically the same. The mazda is quieter than the crv, and revs more smoothly, but the crv absorbs bumps slightly better.

Practicality: crv. Because of its space and gas consumption.

Reliability: cx5. Honda needs to fix the oil dillution problems in its engine before it earns its rightful spot here. Mazda's transmission is produced by the same makers as toyota's so thats a small plus. If you do your research mazda's reliability ratings improve year by year as well. If honda manages to address their engine issues, then they would be equal but only time can tell.
    Thanks for a comprehensive review of the CX5 and CRV diesel models. However, the TS is looking for insights on the base model versions which are gas-powered models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I recently purchased a 2019 mazda cx5 2.2L diesel from mazda sta rosa last dec 27ish. I had a 2018 crv diesel awd 1.5L 7 seater, but i sold it after 6 months. That large of a space wasnt necessary for me and i wanted something a bit fun to drive. Here's my take on these vehicles:

Interior quality wise: cx5. Alot of people commend mazda for having a beautiful interior that even rivals most german vehicles in its segment.

Exterior: cx5 looks the best in its segment. It looks even better than the bmw x1.

l diesel awd. 420nm at 174hp, it's one of the most powerful engines in its segment second to the foresters turbocharged engine which will be removed in 2019.You also don't get that smell from the exhaust usually present in diesel engines.

Gas consumption: crv. Cx 5's gas consumption was almost identical to its petrol counterpart. Mazda chose to sacrifice gas mileage for performance.

Ride quality: practically the same. The mazda is quieter than the crv, and revs more smoothly, but the crv absorbs bumps slightly better.

Reliability: cx5. Honda needs to fix the oil dillution problems in its engine before it earns its rightful spot here. Mazda's transmission is produced by the same makers as toyota's so thats a small plus. If you do your research mazda's reliability ratings improve year by year as well. If honda manages to address their engine issues, then they would be equal but only time can tell.
    did mazda ph update the diesel engine? diba the new 2.2 450nm?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002

The oil dilution problem only affects the 1.5 petrol engine. And only appears on cold climate.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post
    The oil dilution problem only affects the 1.5 petrol engine. And only appears on cold climate.

He's talking about the dilution problem which bugs DPF-equipped diesels that only see short & slow trips. When passive DPF regeneration conditions can't be met, the ECU forces the active cycle activation, the culprit.
    DPF equipped diesels are ideal for those whose routes are the long wide open. City use? Stick w/ petrol or older diesels.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Agree. It is worthy of its numerous accolades here and abroad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepcare View Post
    Let me start the thread..

For me, the bang for the buck is still the Crv. Hindi sa biased opinion since i drive one, but i still feel that it has the complete package against the others.

Actually kagat naman sa lahat (interior, exterior, equipment, handling, safety) except lang for the engine power especially when loaded

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    did mazda ph update the diesel engine? diba the new 2.2 450nm?

I asked the dealer about that and they said its still the 420nm version for the 2019. However I did read somewhere that mazda is releasing another 2019 cx5 model this year with the updated interior and engine. I can guess they will be adding the 2.5L turbocharged variant for the petrol version and the diesel with the updated engine.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpedition View Post
    Crv vs mazda? J vs T

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    The Mazda cx-5 they are bringing here now is from Malaysia.

The previous gen cx-5 and the early batch of current gen cx-5 are made in Japan.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    He's talking about the dilution problem which bugs DPF-equipped diesels that only see short & slow trips. When passive DPF regeneration conditions can't be met, the ECU forces the active cycle activation, the culprit.
    DPF equipped diesels are ideal for those whose routes are the long wide open. City use? Stick w/ petrol or older diesels.

Hello po, I am just wondering what is the proper/practical definition of long trips in terms of daily km average? I am starting to look at CRV 2.0s vs CR V diesel entry level. My daily trip is from Cainta to Technohub (GY shift * 30km roundtrip distance) + Cainta to Marikina (Morning traffic * 20km roundtrip) to send and fetch my son + about 30 kms during the weekend. Which would be the reliable choice? I said reliable because I have been using a 2009 City 1.3 for and it is still working but I think it needs some help now (hehe). Thank you!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fireproofjat View Post
    Hello po, I am just wondering what is the proper/practical definition of long trips in terms of daily km average? I am starting to look at CRV 2.0s vs CR V diesel entry level. My daily trip is from Cainta to Technohub (GY shift * 30km roundtrip distance) + Cainta to Marikina (Morning traffic * 20km roundtrip) to send and fetch my son + about 30 kms during the weekend. Which would be the reliable choice? I said reliable because I have been using a 2009 City 1.3 for and it is still working but I think it needs some help now (hehe). Thank you!
    Passive regeneration relies on the exhaust temperature being high enough to automatically trigger the burn off. This is usually achieved from driving spiritedly some distance. Having long routes in slow traffic can be equivalent to city driving or short trips. In such cases, the regeneration my not take place fully, leading to blocking the DPF. This can lead to higher fuel consumption and a visit to the dealership for servicing or costly filter replacement.
    DPFs are an added maintenance item dealerships won't warn buyers of. Once blocked, the car may go into limp mode & require that unplanned dealership visit for a forced regeneration session + oil & oil filter change.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fireproofjat View Post
    OT: Either choice is ok especially that the diesel currently has i think a 95k discount. Features-wise mas ok packaging ng gas variant compared sa diesel. My fuel consumption for the diesel is 9kpl currently but will check the average distance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast