New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    good day tsikoters! would like to ask your expert opinion on this. I got a budget of 650k max to buy my second hand service car however im torn on two car choices.

First choice is a 2015 top of the line honda jazz 1.5 VX model, A/T and the second choice is any 2006 and up SUV (fortuner or montero) A/T whatever the budget permits.

Service car will be used as a daily driver to and from work and a weekend car to go up hill like baguio. No other passengers during the weekend drive uphill except for some laundry clothings. My personal choice is the jazz but i got confused when my family members suggested to get a bigger car due to my position in work. Im also hesitant to get an OLDER SUV as ive learned my lesson when i got my first 4wheel car with many repairs as the year past by.

Im looking for the best value for my hard earned money given the budget above. You may enlighten me with the choice of car you would suggest and the reason why. Pros and cons of both cars are welcome.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    A suggestion would be a 2010-2012 Santa Fe. Engine and transmission is exactly the same as the ones in the current Santa Fe, Sorento and Carnival. It offers much better value for money as compared to a similarly priced Montero or Fortuner. We have it and there's little that can go wrong with it if its well taken care of. Things to look out for may include engine and transmission supports, stabilizer links, and according to Central Diesel, malfunctioning fuel pump in high mileage units which will result in hard starting (haven't experienced that yet in both our units)

On the other hand, a friend of mine owns a 2015 Jazz 1.5S and I've driven it a few times. Performance and handling were very, very impressive.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Azryl View Post
    good day tsikoters! would like to ask your expert opinion on this. I got a budget of 650k max to buy my second hand service car however im torn on two car choices.

First choice is a 2015 top of the line honda jazz 1.5 VX model, A/T and the second choice is any 2006 and up SUV (fortuner or montero) A/T whatever the budget permits.

Service car will be used as a daily driver to and from work and a weekend car to go up hill like baguio. No other passengers during the weekend drive uphill except for some laundry clothings. My personal choice is the jazz but i got confused when my family members suggested to get a bigger car due to my position in work. Im also hesitant to get an OLDER SUV as ive learned my lesson when i got my first 4wheel car with many repairs as the year past by.

Im looking for the best value for my hard earned money given the budget above. You may enlighten me with the choice of car you would suggest and the reason why. Pros and cons of both cars are welcome.

TIA

i rould suggest a diesel innova or fort.
    matibay. ok sa akyatan.
    my 12 year old innova MT with over 110K km, has not given me any problems.
    at pag na-ipit kayo sa trapik, you can stretch out inside its big passenger space, enjoying the aircon.
    the downside, is that it's a diesel. compared to gas, maingay makina when pushed to speed on the highway. it is also somewhat slower than gas.
    Last edited by dr. d; October 24th, 2017 at 07:55 AM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Better to buy Japanese when betting used cars ...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    wow! thanks for the inputs sirs. ill research more on the santa fe sir GTi. sir dr.d actually ive considered the innova before but scrape it off in the long run. thank you sir walter, im confident we cannot go wrong with a japanese car.

for now would like to limit the choices to (1) jazz 2015, will be getting it from a friend who will finish the the installment this coming nov and (2) a not so old fortuner/montero. still looking for the best buy alongside the different car sale websites.

more enlightenment from our expert tsikoters.

thanks

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I really like the Jazz. Everything feels very well put together. The switchgear have a solid feel to them same as what I've experienced in our 2005 Accord. Space is abundant despite the dimunitive dimensions. When driving, I don't feel like driving a subcompact hatch at all. My only gripe so far would be the hard plastics. More soft touch materials would be nice. The Jazz I drove was the base model and so didn't have manual mode. But the S mode worked much better than I'd expected, transforming the Jazz into an entirely different animal. Its just that the low ride height is a disadvantage if you need to traverse flooded areas or bad roads often.

With regards to the Korean vs Japanese argument, I do agree that Korean cars are generally less durable in the long run as compared to Japanese cars, especially in the suspension department. However, do consider that for the same price you would most likely be getting a Japanese car that's older by a significant margin, especially if its a diesel Toyota. The R eVGT Santa Fe is also significantly more powerful and fuel efficient than a top of the line 3.0D4D Fort.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    thank you sir GTi for the valuable comment. actually im a 100% sure for the TOTL jazz not until my family started to introduce the two SUV. Now im considering sta fe over the mits. starting my research for sta fe. thank you for this. thumbs up for you sir.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I was actually quite surprised that I would like the Jazz this much. The engine was very rev-happy and the CVT a willing accomplice. Suspension absorbed ruts very well, but my heart bled every time I accidentally hit one. [emoji23] Since you mentioned that the car belongs to your friend, that's another point in its favor.

I've extensively driven both the Santa Fe and a Strada GLS Sport V (my uncle's). Mitsubishi's 4WD system and INVECS II are truly impressive, as befitting Mitsubishi's rally heritage. Engine performance is good with excellent midrange grunt, but suffers from pronounced turbo lag until full boost kicks in at around 2000rpm despite having a VGT. It is also prone to black smoke on full throttle, a trait that is even more pronounced among Montero's for some reason. I have yet to see a smoke belching R eVGT Santa Fe, and have only ever seen one smoke belching VGT Santa Fe.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    im learning a lot from you sir. i really appreciate it. one more thing about the jazz is that it was lady driven and is CASA maintained. this is the main reason why im half hearted to let go of the jazz should i consider the fort or sta fe. i admit im a novice at car troubleshooting and repair hence i would like to get a newer car model and a well taken cared of service car for a worry free or less repairs. im considering this to be my car for the next 5yrs or more so making a decision like this is so hard. this is another reason why i posted this topic as i may get blinded by a biased perception of my own, atleast i get the chance to consult car enthusiasts who had handled both cars.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^^^ For ease of maintenance, go with the Jazz. It is a good all-around utility small hatchback - lots of space, decent fuel consumption, decent performance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast