New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ba't nyo po nasabing di na safe ung old corolla? have you had any decent mechanic take a look at it?

Iniisip ko kasi, pagtiyagaan mo muna ung car for a few more years while you save up for a car, condo, etc. yun nga lang, things will definitely start breaking down on you if your car is that old(speaking from experience). ang sa akin lang, so long as the mechanicals, brakes, etc. are ok, pagtitiyagaan ko pa rin. And, like you said, parang di ka pa sure sa sarili mo kung me gana kang magdrive everyday.

Of course, if you do feel na di na nga siya safe...you really can't put a price on your safety/health ;) And if you really go on 24-hour shifts...parang mas OK na lang na mag condo.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Hi.

I'd probably use the 90's corolla that's lying around for the meantime for several reasons.

1. It's free. hehehe. You're gonna have to spend a bit to make sure its in good running condition but its a lot cheaper than buying a new or second hand one. It's gonna be a hassle to find trustworthy car repair shops but think of it this way. You're going to have to find them anyway (sooner or later) whether its brand new or second hand or your old car. Also, I'm sure your boyfriend can already refer you to some.

2. Toyotas are known to be tough, reliable cars so i assume the corolla lying around shouldnt cost you too much to use.

3. If you're afraid of reliability, just dont use it in long out-of-town drives. You could also be a member of AAP or other auto clubs for motorist assistance (ergo peace of mind) should the car break down in the middle of the road.

4. As others have said, there's other expenses when owning a car other than the gas. If you might or might not use it often, it will still depreciate. Of course, the newer the car, the more the expensive it is, the more the depreciation.

5. At least you could try it out now if driving is for you. If not, at least you only lost the amount bringing the old corolla up-to-shape. Depreciation is not much. And you can use it as little as you want or as much as you want. Come to think of it, you could only use it in those rainy, hard-to-commute days if you want to.

6. Very important. Pag nagasgasan, hindi masama ang loob ... hehehe. Practice driving with this. Should you get another car after a while, you'd be less prone to gasgas and you'd know better how to take care of it.

Hope that helps.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for me, i would get the condo which is walking distance from the place of work. even if it rains, you can still bring an umbrella and walk to and from work.

if you need something like occassional out of town trips, get your BF to drive for you. if he refuses, ditch him and get a new boyfriend who is willing to drive you.

get the family car and maintain it if you need one.

why my reasoning? a car, as everyone said here, depreciates and requires maintenance. as it grows old, you have to spend more moolah just to make it in proper running condition. this principle is the same as if you would have your family car repaired to its good running condition. second, a car requires gas. fuel is getting more expensive. third, a condo unit appreciates. in fact, it appreciates fast. so while you are still single, better have your money invested in something which will give you more money which you can use for your wedding, a vacation, or even starting your own family.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My wife (also an MD) is still using the red 1993 Corolla Gli that I've been driving during my bachelor days.

She is now eyeing a black Avanza. But the desire is still on-hold as we would like to concentrate our financial resources on our future home. We currently maintain four vehicles.

So nasa iyo ang priority. You can actually also do some sacrifices to achieve both ends.

Why not put your substantial savings to the condominium investment and just allocate something enough to rehabilitate the old Corolla?

Mahalaga din ang sasakyan sa isang doctor. Hindi naman importante kung magara as long as reliable ang sasakyan to bring you where you want to go. Corollas are relatively "easy" to fix and maintain.
    Last edited by Gerbo; September 10th, 2009 at 12:16 AM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Get the Condo. It is a more sound investment than a car.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Since you're a hot headed driver (it must be scary being your passenger :P), I'd suggest that you have the 1990's corolla freshened up instead of spending on a new one.

I'd also suggest that you unleash your anger at the pool (or better yet, at a fish sanctuary). Swim & dive. It's very very relaxing. It will widen your horizon on how beautiful life is that being angry even when there are so many fools driving beside you is just so pointless.

You'll be saving massive amounts of money driving that car. It's economical, it's fairly cheap to maintain and very reliable. A bunch of friends have that type of car. It's pretty fast too.

The best thing about it probably is that it will never get the attention of carjackers and thieves. Since you're a lady, your safety is of the utmost importance.

With your money, buy a bunch of lands or houses & lots. Condo is good IF you're not planning to live in it (rent it out to people to recoup your money and earn after). It's a very expensive piece of space in the air. When the building crumbles - and it will one day, along with it goes your investment.

After driving the 1990's corolla for maybe a couple of years or more, you can consider buying a brand new car and still use the corolla as a coding car. You'll be a better experienced driver then so your bnew car will be a whole lot safer from unnecessary accidents (and consequently, repairs).

Good luck.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hi po.

question ko lang, saan po ba kayo nakatira? (hindi po address hahaha) I mean, kukuha ka ba ng condo dahil mas malapit sa workplace mo?

kung kukuha ka lang ng condo dahil mas malapit sa workplace mo, then go for a car. yung boyfriend mo syempre gusto niya condo para pareho kayong makikinabang, eh kung car, mahihiram ba niya sa iyo yun, syempre sa iyo lang yun hehe. yung condo kasi, para sa future niyo na rin yun "if ever" diba hehe.

pero kung confort ang tatanungin, I would get a brand new car or "slightly used 2nd hand car". Slightly used means yung less than a year palang ang tanda nung car with low odo reading.

I will give you a scenario. You are a doctor, 1 rainy evening may tumawag sa iyo, emergency asap kailangan may puntahan ka, and then bam, ayun tatawag ka pa pala ng taxi. Dala dala mo pa yung mga gamit mo tapos maulan haay ang hirap diba. Eh kung may car ka, ayun, salpak ng gamit and then punta na sa destination mo pronto.

OT. anyway ms. pachute, baka may kilala kang female, single na nurse mga 24 y/o lang hehe joke.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    buya new car or if you will buy second hand, i rehab mo na lang yung toyota mo mas makakatipid ka and maybe there will be enough money left for the condo, you can have your cake and eat it too

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I too am a physician and in the same dilemma as you are, but I have decided to get the car first. I will be buying it by next year. Why? First...COMFORT, you don't want going to your work hospital looking so agitated, smelling like sweat and car exaust on summer, and coming in to work all wet when it's raining. Second...INDEPENDENCE, don't rely on your boyfriend too much to drive you around. He can easily cheat on you and your relationship goes down the drain, so in the end you loose your driver too. Another reason your BF don't want you to own a car is he might be intimidated and trying to control your freedom. Third...SAFETY, driving your own car is safer than commuting and being exposed to swindlers, holdapers, mandurukot, etc...

With regards to whether to buy a second hand or brand new car...buy a BRAND NEW CAR. You can look at the cheapest...Suzuki Alto, since you will save some money without the hassle of secondary inherited problems from purchasing a second hand car. Plus you only need it to travel a short distance to work and probably occasional trips outside Manila.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cktlcmd View Post
    I too am a physician and in the same dilemma as you are, but I have decided to get the car first. I will be buying it by next year. Why? First...COMFORT, you don't want going to your work hospital looking so agitated, smelling like sweat and car exaust on summer, and coming in to work all wet when it's raining. Second...INDEPENDENCE, don't rely on your boyfriend too much to drive you around. He can easily cheat on you and your relationship goes down the drain, so in the end you loose your driver too. Another reason your BF don't want you to own a car is he might be intimidated and trying to control your freedom. Third...SAFETY, driving your own car is safer than commuting and being exposed to swindlers, holdapers, mandurukot, etc...

With regards to whether to buy a second hand or brand new car...buy a BRAND NEW CAR. You can look at the cheapest...Suzuki Alto, since you will save some money without the hassle of secondary inherited problems from purchasing a second hand car. Plus you only need it to travel a short distance to work and probably occasional trips outside Manila.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    but for a lady driver na tinatamad mag-drive, don't get an Alto. Proud alto owner ako pero ang Alto kasi walang A/T variant, and most ladies drive an A/T car. So try getting the Suzuki Celerio or Hyundai i10 instead.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
needs advice on buying a car or not