New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    hi! im a newbie here. been contemplating the past weeks if it's time for me to get a car. i'm still not fully decided, i joined the forum so i can see different opinions.

im a single 29yo doctor. we have a family car (1990's toyota corolla) which nobody uses. i do not want to use this because i feel its not reliable anymore. my boyfriend has a car that we use. i do not have any problems commuting (im used to it) except when it is raining, hard to get public transportation and i hate inhaling pollution. my "future" work is about 7 kilometers away from home and is easily commutable. other factors that makes me think of buying a car is it is for my own safety and comfort, save myself from situations where i might share the same public ride with my patients (alam nyo naman, status symbol is important if your a doctor in Manila), and perhaps a milestone for me before i reach age 30.

i have savings enough to buy a brand new car but thinking of getting a second hand instead so that i still have savings left with me. i can also pay half of a brand new car then pay installments in 18months, God willing he provides for me. second hand also, so if i change my mind i can easily dispose without losing too much! my boyfriend doesn't want me to buy a car instead get a place like a condo. some friends tells me get a new car, others just second hand since i'll just use it to and from work and konting lakad on the side. FYI, i knew how to drive a long time ago, im just tamad and hot headed kaya hate driving sometimes.

pls post your opinions. the pros and cons. should i get bnew or 2nd hand will suffice? what kind of car will i get? greatly appreciate it.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    for me, just get a brand new car. it saves you from headaches due to possible breakdowns that would/might occur in the long run plus it also has a warranty - 5yrs at most depending on brand.

what's your budget for a brand new car?
    you could get a hatchback - hyundai i10, suzuki celerio, toyota yaris, honda jazz, etc.
    or a sub-compact sedan perhaps - hyundai accent, toyota vios, honda city, etc.

if i were to choose, i would pick the Toyota Vios 1.3 J or E
    why? because its price is cheap, low fuel consumption & the reliability that the Toyota badge brings.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *pachut

Money spent on owning a car does not stop at buying it. You also have to consider the ff:
    -maintenance stuff like regular tune up, replacement of stuff like tires, etc
    -annual renewal of registration (including emissions testing, etc)
    -annual insurance dues (accident / theft)
    -repairs (accidents, wear & tear)
    -parking fees
    -rising fuel prices

I hope you have considered these. I am not trying to dissuade you from buying a car. I am just making sure you have considered all the "cons" of buying a car.

Advantages of having a car does outweigh the cons...
    -safer travel (day or night)
    -no problem carrying stuff to destination (example grocery, boxes, etc)
    -dry inside when raining outside
    -cool inside when hot outside
    -your choice of music (not whatever is blaring from the jeep's speakers)
    -travel at your convenience and pace (no need to consider if there is a jeep or mrt nearby)
    -faster transit time (no need to wait for buses/jeeps to fill before going)
    -no more inhaling exhaust fumes (aircon)
    -privacy (tinted windows)
    -out of town trips? no problem
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 9th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pachut View Post
    should i get bnew or 2nd hand will suffice? what kind of car will i get? greatly appreciate it.
    Second hand car will be fine as long as its not too old. I would suggest something like the Honda City/Jazz or Toyota Vios or even Nissan Sentra 1.3 GX A/T.

These cars are relatively easy to own since they have smaller engines and quite popular as well. Prices for brand new are: (assuming A/T as first choice when available)

Nissan Sentra 1.3L GX A/T P650,000
    Honda City 1.3L A/T P756,000
    Honda Jazz 1.3L A/T P762,000
    Toyota Vios 1.3L J M/T P590,000
    Toyota Vios 1.5L G A/T P785,000

Second hard options: (examples from http://www.buyandsellph.com/)
    2003-2006 Nissan Sentra 1.3L GX A/T P300K to P400K
    2004-2006 Honda City 1.3L iDSi A/T P350K to P450K
    2004-2006 Toyota Vios 1.5L A/T P400 to P460K

So buying a second hand car (3 to 4 years old) will save you 1/3 to 1/2 of the price buying new. Downside, you have no warranty if anything on the car starts to go wrong.

If that happens you have two choices, go to the nearest "casa" or bring the car to a reputable 3rd party repair shop. To save you money, I would suggest to bring it to a 3rd party repair shop. There are shops that we can recommend and others we would advise you to avoid like the plague.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 9th, 2009 at 04:41 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    condo
    pros
    -kuryente lang babayaran wala masyado sa maintenance
    cons
    -megcocomute parin ng onte pag nagcondo:P therefore mababasa parin sa ulan pollution etc.

2nd hand car
    pros
    -mura
    -pag nakatsamba na maayos yung kotse okei na okei
    -pag me kakilala tapos alam na nasa good condition ayus din
    -pwede pumunta sa maraming lugar pag me kotse
    -mas madali mag grocery

cons
    -pag malas sa 2nd hand sakit sa ulo maintenance
    -pag nagbreak down yari
    -pag nakaw pala sasakyan patayy
    -pag mejo hindi maganda makina at malakas ang fuel consumption patay rin
    -pinapagasan so mejo mahal

brand new car
    pros
    -maasahan talga since bago
    -pwede pumunta sa maraming lugar pag me kotse
    -mas madali mag grocery
    -me peace of mind na hondo masisira

cons
    -kahit papaano minamaintain parin
    -pag nagalusan ang bagong car nakakasama ng loob
    -mahal ang insurance

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    pag long travel nga pala masyado mas maganda condo kasi delikado yung drive na pagod at antok mas makupad ang reflexess:P
    Last edited by kulotz; September 9th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    it's always nice to buy a new car. but ofcourse, as what ghosthunter said, you also have to take into account other expenses like gas, parking fee, tune up, registration and insurance. ask ko lang, are you a resident physician or a consultant? kasi it will make a big difference with regards to your decision....
    if you are a resident physician, then i would say just have your boyfriend or a family driver send you to the hospital and have them pick you up afterwards kasi, residents definitely go on 24hour duty and you will be tired enough to drive home (although 7kms away lang ang house mo, kainis lang if there's too much traffic). but if you really wanted to have your own car, i guess a second hand car in good condition will be a better choice (unless ofcourse you wanted a brand new car to spare you of the headaches that might come from the used car)
    but if you are a consultant, then you definitely have to have a new car to help you travel around different hospitals wherein you have patients/referrals to see...
    HTH

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    My answers are in red and in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by pachut View Post
    hi! im a newbie here. been contemplating the past weeks if it's time for me to get a car. i'm still not fully decided, i joined the forum so i can see different opinions.

= hello mam pachut.

im a single 29yo doctor. we have a family car (1990's toyota corolla) which nobody uses. i do not want to use this because i feel its not reliable anymore.

= if that car you're referring to isnt properly maintained then, most likely yes you will encounter problems with it. But then, if it's maintained and checked up properly, then you don't have to worry.

my boyfriend has a car that we use. i do not have any problems commuting (im used to it) except when it is raining, hard to get public transportation and i hate inhaling pollution. my "future" work is about 7 kilometers away from home and is easily commutable. other factors that makes me think of buying a car is it is for my own safety and comfort, save myself from situations where i might share the same public ride with my patients (alam nyo naman, status symbol is important if your a doctor in Manila), and perhaps a milestone for me before i reach age 30.

= You have a point ma'am. Though commuting is easy and cheaper than having a car, you wont still feel the comfort that you're going to have when having a car. And yes, having a car adds up to your safety.

i have savings enough to buy a brand new car but thinking of getting a second hand instead so that i still have savings left with me.
    i can also pay half of a brand new car then pay installments in 18months, God willing he provides for me. second hand also, so if i change my mind i can easily dispose without losing too much!

= If your money is just enough for the whole car itself then don't buy one. Expect miscellaneous fees thats going to be added. For example the Periodic Maintenance Cost ( PMS ), the gas prices, the insurance cost etc.
    And, mind you, if you pay the car through financing there will be an increase into the overall unit price. Expect around 100-200k.

my boyfriend doesn't want me to buy a car instead get a place like a condo. some friends tells me get a new car,

= Car then condo

others just second hand since i'll just use it to and from work and konting lakad on the side. FYI, i knew how to drive a long time ago, im just tamad and hot headed kaya hate driving sometimes.

= ma'am just remember, don't be hot-headed. If you need to give way, give way. Don't pursue into going in the very narrow spaces available. And, music can calm you in some ways.

pls post your opinions. the pros and cons. should i get bnew or 2nd hand will suffice? what kind of car will i get? greatly appreciate it.

Buying a brand new car will still be the best. May I ask how much is going to be your budget? But for the meantime, since you're a lady driver, a sub-compact would be the best for you. Here are some

1. Hyundai Getz - pricey at 630k. Runs on CRDi engine

2. Hyundai i10 - bad FC for a very little car, yet, cheap

3. Suzuki Alto - very fuel efficient and cheap. No A/T transmission available

4. Suzuki Celerio - cute, cheap, has A/T, 1.0L downside is, it doesnt have power windows at the back

5. Toyota Vios J - Cheap, bare, but bigger than the said examples above. At 595k, no A/T transmission, no power windows. But still, nice car

6. Toyota Vios E - carries 14" rims. Has power ammenities except for power mirrors. at 664k, not bad.

7. Nissan Sentra GX - has a/t ( i think ) . has power ammenities too except for the keyless entry.

8. Honda City A - best car among the others stated. Though it doesnt carry alloy rims and keyless entry system. It's still going to recieve a :2thumbsup: for me. 2 available colors only. Silver and Bluish Silver. Price is at 676k no A/T

9. Honda City S - Cheaper than the Vios G. At 716k it carries all power ammenities, steel rims and what can I say? It's one heck of a car. Available in certain colors: Red, Silver, Bluish Silver, Black, Beige.

10. Hyundai Accent - 690k. Too bare. No power ammenities. No alloy rims. Yet runs with diesel

11. Kia Rio - price is 700k + . Yet runs on fuel. Overpriced for me though.

12. Kia Picanto - small. price is around 600k plus. Runs on fuel. Better than Getz in terms of style.

2nd hand cars: there's a lot to choose on from. Just bring a mechanic with you if you're going to check one. Check all the papers etc etc then you're off

Hope this Helps.
    Last edited by renzo_d10; September 9th, 2009 at 05:00 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd say prioritize the condo, then after a few months or a year, get a car.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    get a condo, then borrow BF car. Let him commute.

If not possible, Just get your own car.

It will give you the mobility that you never thought possible.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
needs advice on buying a car or not