We're looking to get our first car (for me and my father). What would be your recommendations?

This will be our first car and I am a complete noob. At first, I was planning to get the 2020 honda jazz with the intent of paying it full in cold hard cash.

But then after more research, I learned that as a first time owner, it's probably better to get a 2nd hand car instead. I've read recommendations about japanese cars for their reliability. So this is what I've been looking for recently. But I am very open to other suggestions.

I was browsing the FB marketplace and saw a 2010 honda jazz at 385k and thought it was too expensive for such an old car? I also saw a 2014 honda city at 530k. So most probably I'm just being naive?

Getting a brand new car isn't out out the question yet - mostly for the guaranteed warranty and buying convenience. Instead of the 2020 jazz as our first, maybe the cheaper ones like the soluto, brio, dzire, reina would be better? I am not sure if it's worth it though.

You can tell I am confused af and cannot make up my mind yet so please enlighten me.

We don't have any specific requirements, it can be a sedan, suv, crossover, or whatever. Just something to get us from point a to point b during this pandemic. A balance between value for money and reliability. We live and work in Batangas btw.

P.S. How much do you pay a "trusted" mechanic?