New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    We're looking to get our first car (for me and my father). What would be your recommendations?

This will be our first car and I am a complete noob. At first, I was planning to get the 2020 honda jazz with the intent of paying it full in cold hard cash.

But then after more research, I learned that as a first time owner, it's probably better to get a 2nd hand car instead. I've read recommendations about japanese cars for their reliability. So this is what I've been looking for recently. But I am very open to other suggestions.

I was browsing the FB marketplace and saw a 2010 honda jazz at 385k and thought it was too expensive for such an old car? I also saw a 2014 honda city at 530k. So most probably I'm just being naive?

Getting a brand new car isn't out out the question yet - mostly for the guaranteed warranty and buying convenience. Instead of the 2020 jazz as our first, maybe the cheaper ones like the soluto, brio, dzire, reina would be better? I am not sure if it's worth it though.

You can tell I am confused af and cannot make up my mind yet so please enlighten me.

We don't have any specific requirements, it can be a sedan, suv, crossover, or whatever. Just something to get us from point a to point b during this pandemic. A balance between value for money and reliability. We live and work in Batangas btw.

P.S. How much do you pay a "trusted" mechanic?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if you can comfortably afford a brand new car, then by all means, get a brand new car.

advantages of B/N car:
    1. "it's perfect". or should be so. you can concentrate more on the driving part.
    2. enroll the car in comprehensive insurance, even if paid in full. it will come in handy in the unlikely event of a fender-bender.
    3. clean ownership.
    4. warranty. in case of factory error.

my potential issues with pre-owned car:
    1. it's a used car! if you can think of one unlikely scenario, then you have thought of one possibility that you can not completely set aside. "caveat emptor" can not be emphasized enough.
    a. chances of breakdown are higher, no matter how "god-given" the mekaniko or whoever who says otherwise.
    b. potential ownership issues.
    c. some comprehensive insurance providers will turn down cars over ten years old.
    2. may not be factory-warrantied anymore.
    3. very finely printed non-factory "warranty", if ever there is one.

someone selling a used car will probably agree, that brand new drivers do not deserve brand new car.
    personally, "brand new driver, brand new car!"

whether you bangga you new car or your not-long-pre-owned car, the costs of repair will probably be within handshaking distance.

happy buying.
    Last edited by dr. d; June 14th, 2020 at 04:36 PM.

3. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rinnosuke View Post
    We're looking to get our first car (for me and my father). What would be your recommendations?

This will be our first car and I am a complete noob. At first, I was planning to get the 2020 honda jazz with the intent of paying it full in cold hard cash.

But then after more research, I learned that as a first time owner, it would be best to get a 2nd hand car instead. I've read recommendations about japanese cars for their reliability. So this is what I've been looking for recently. But I am very open to other suggestions.

I was browsing the FB marketplace and saw a 2010 honda jazz at 385k and thought it was too expensive for such an old car? I also saw a 2014 honda city at 530k. So most probably I'm just being naive?

Getting a brand new car isn't out out the question yet - mostly for the guaranteed warranty and buying convenience. Instead of the 2020 jazz as our first, maybe the cheaper ones like the soluto, brio, dzire, reina would be better? I am not sure if it's worth it though.

You can tell I am confused af and cannot make up my mind yet so please enlighten me.

We don't have any specific requirements, it can be a sedan, suv, crossover, or whatever. Just something to get us from point a to point b during this pandemic. A balance between value for money and reliability. We live and work in Batangas btw.

I am not that sure but maybe other can weigh in on this... If the 2010 Honda Jazz came with a CVT? If it does, or the unit you are looking at came with a CVT, I'd just recommend looking for the next generation Jazz that came the year after which was a regular AT instead of a CVT. Just to be on the safe side. The current models of Honda come with a newer generation CVT which appear to be less problematic so I'd recommend just avoid the headache altogether.

But if you are looking at a MT Jazz, that doesn't seem that bad.

I'd like to propose though, if you are looking at the second hand market as well, have you considered looking at the Altis of the same/similar year model? I'm not sure if 2011 Model Year or 2010 Model Year came with the 1.6 Dual VVti engine though. But I'd recommend looking at that as you'd get a slightly larger car which most likely depreciated close to the price of the Jazz you are looking at. It can be serviced at most reputable gas stations for your regular change oils, but for other parts, at least a lot of mechanics know their way around toyotas.

Good luck and other will weigh in.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015

But then after more research, I learned that as a first time owner, it would be best to get a 2nd hand car instead. I've read recommendations about japanese cars for their reliability. So this is what I've been looking for recently. But I am very open to other suggestions.

If buying used, remove uncertain risk variables....AVOID CVTs. They're best bought new w/ live warranty.
    The gen2 Jazz GE is a good nonCVT practical car. It's reliable, easy to maintain, got lotsa parts & fun, too. Try finding a good 1. Knowing the owner, his drive & care habits would really help. The worse the OCD, the better. Those advertised as 'lady-driven' may not really be an advantage.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    if you can afford it (including the PMS)... buy brand new. (period)

If Jazz is too big/expensive. Get the City or even the Brio (don't get the Amaze as the local version still doesn't have Honda's current "design language")

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    just to add...

the 2020 Jazz and the 2020 City has been officially announced.

If local release is confirmed, you will see significant discounts on the current Jazz and City models.

Or you can wait for the new versions and be one of the first owners locally.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006

But then after more research, I learned that as a first time owner, it's probably better to get a 2nd hand car instead. I've read recommendations about japanese cars for their reliability. So this is what I've been looking for recently. But I am very open to other suggestions.

If complete newbie to cars, the safest choice is always to go brand new.

Personally though, would rather not buy brand new, unless the car is free (i.e. car plan).

If you look hard enough, you'll find a slightly used car (< 5 years old) with zero issues and a depreciated price. The catch is that you should know what you're looking for and are able to spot any potential expensive fixes.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    A brand new vios or city. Next purchase na lang yung bigger cars.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sean-archer View Post
    A brand new vios or city. Next purchase na lang yung bigger cars.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Yep, a subcompact sedan is very practical choice for an all-around daily commuter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Personally though, would rather not buy brand new, unless the car is free (i.e. car plan).

If you look hard enough, you'll find a slightly used car (< 5 years old) with zero issues and a depreciated price.
    Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    At this time, in this shitstorm, the above is wisdom in its purest form.Buying my first car in 2020

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast