New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    So I guess a better automobile is based on that attributes? Rather than actual performance.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    could that explain civics dressed up with all those things on it but still have a non-performing engine under the hood.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The BMW brand first entered my consciousness because it's what Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard drove in their "Moonlighting" TV series when I was a kid. Shows how old I am, and also how long BMW has been in mainstream media.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I think you answered your own question, Audi's race history is recent BMW's is not.
    BMW's drive the rear wheels and don't need all wheel drive to handle well on the track or twisty roads. The 3 series (BMW's best seller) has a racing history going back to the 1600 and 2002 models of the late 60's and early 70's, nothing in the current Audi line can make that claim since quattro was not around during the 60's and 70's. If you don't buy the quattro models you get a front drive car which would just make it an over priced VW since they share the same platform. You can't buy a BMW under a different brand for less money like you can an Audi by purchasing a VW. Yes, Audi has won Le Mans and other racing series recently but those are with cars you can't buy at the showroom. BMW's 3 series on the other hand are raced in the showroom stock categories in most racing series just like the 911 and win with just minor engine/suspension tuning and braking modifications. As the saying goes race on Sunday sell on Monday and BMW has been doing this with their current line up longer than Audi. I recall in the 80's seeing in IMSA racing a 1st gen BMW M5 racing against a modified Corvette and out handling the 'Vette. Imagine a 4 door family car beating a purpose built sports car on a race track.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BMW actually withdrew from the US touring car circuit after 2 dominating seasons, the league changed the rules to make BMW incapable of competing hehe... At walang F1 ang Audi

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite
    So I guess a better automobile is based on that attributes? Rather than actual performance.
    If your going to drive a car in your day to day life...then a better automobile should have a lot of attributes like comfort, road handling that is not too stiff and not too soft, can carry 2-5 passengers, gizmos like music player or a video player abs, ebd, etc....you cant have that in a pure race car wont you? whether it is an audi quattro, or a wrc car with all those roll bars, big turbos strip out interiors no aircon/heater....not even a music to listen during those stop and go traffic....

Heck I even bet that shumi or makkinen will choose a decent comfy car rather than their racing car when it comes to their day to day normal driving life....

my friend....speed performance is not everything in a real world of day to day life.... for some people going from A to B in pure comfort and style matters most.... unless you are always racing everybody on the street like you're always chasing or evading somebody and the road ahead of you will be gone forever in a matter of millisecond if you dont push your car to its limit......

but then again, I'd rather do it in comfort and style......

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    normal car buyers do not have 'racing' at the top of their priority list. some couldnt even care less what race the brand won.

in short, not everybody thinks like you.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Speed

but then again, I'd rather do it in comfort and style......

galing... sakto!!! 3-points!

pero honestly ang ganda ng audi s8 (tama ba?) sa transporter 2!! he he

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hehe true...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite
    Let's face it...here Audi's aren't anywhere close to BMWs in popularity. In other countries its otherwise...Even the Germans prefer Audi over BMW. And people acknowlege that Audi has been dominant in the track...Winning almost every Le Mans in the past...what 6 years or so?

Inventing quattro which creamed the competition during the 80s in almost every rally race...

Is it marketing over product?

I wonder why most every juan dela cruz would still like a BMW...
    Err... Le Mans lang naman nag dominate ang Audi - which isn't really popular here. If that's your thinking... Renualt (F1) & Citroen (WRC) should be selling like crazy all over the world. To note also that MB won the DTM last year.

And as to product... PLEASE name an Audi vehicle to challenge the M6, M5, and M Coupe/Roadster. They only have one performance model - namely the RS4 to combat BMW's M3.

Plus... in terms of worlwide sales... Audi is nowhere near the ranks of MB & BMW.

edit...

some more reasons why BMW will continue to dominate (and even surpass MB) the luxury car segment:

International Engine of the Year
    BMW 5.0-liter V10 — (M5 + M6)

Best Performance Engine
    BMW 5.0-liter V10 — (M5 + M6)

Best Above 4.0 liters
    BMW 5.0-liter V10 — (M5 + M6

Best 3.0 liters to 4.0 liters
    BMW 3.2-liter — (BMW M3 + BMW Z4)
    Last edited by mazdamazda; June 23rd, 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
If Audi has a better recent race history that BMW why do people like BMWs?