New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    personal preference ko lang yan... mura lang naman over the counter coolant like caltex and the likes eh...
    the baldwin supplemental coolant additive cost just 250 pesos.. will treat 16 gallons per pint...
    tapos protected na yung cooling systems mo...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by miko101130 View Post
    personal preference ko lang yan... mura lang naman over the counter coolant like caltex and the likes eh...
    the baldwin supplemental coolant additive cost just 250 pesos.. will treat 16 gallons per pint...
    tapos protected na yung cooling systems mo...
    If it gives you peace of mind. But normally, and I say this as a qualified statement, there are coolants that last you longer and saves you the time.

There are those that even save fuel.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Q lang mga gurus. Is it necessary na lagyan ng distilled water yung radiator after flushing the old coolant para "ma-drain" ng husto bago lagyan ng new coolant?

Or drain the old, then pour the new coolant pwede na?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikselog View Post
    Q lang mga gurus. Is it necessary na lagyan ng distilled water yung radiator after flushing the old coolant para "ma-drain" ng husto bago lagyan ng new coolant?

It wont do any harm if you do flushing after draining your old coolant.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikselog View Post

Drain, flush, rinse, refill.

Flushing with distilled water is a waste of money. As long as the water is clean and that it is not hard, you should be fine.
    Last edited by EVO-V; December 3rd, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Thanks guys.

7. Join Date
    May 2011
    nosebleed! bloody english man!

well, as for my "practice" - once or twice a year, i drain the rad of my 15yr old car.

1Gal(2L lan ginagamit) of wilkins distilled water + 2 liter of Prestone Coolant (concentrate). 50:50 mix.
    My car's rad usually consumes 1Gal++ kapag fully drained. OEM Aluminun plastic top (Calsonic).
    Then the premixed solution na prestone din, 500ml goes to the reservoir.

1-2x a week of visual inspection helps too. Sometimes at the morning before i start the engine -
    i open the rad cap, start the engine and observe the water sa rad. Rev ng konti at tingan kun sumasabay ang tubig,
    this way for me is for checking for my water pump. Dito ko rin tinitingnan kun me mga dumi-dumi na yun tubig.
    Check the hoses too, pinipisil ko eto when cold and determine kun palitin na.

ooops cooling system na pala eto.

8. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO-V View Post
    A few pointers peeps.

1) A properly maintained cooling system shouldn't need overhauling. There is NO SUCH THING as a regular radiator overhaul.

2) Not all radiators are created equal. There are those made to be disposable. A good radiator saves you the expense and inconvenience of having to replace it prematurely.

3) Proper installation is important. A moron of a mechanic can screw up even something as basic as a radiator installation.

4) A radiator swap is always cheaper than an engine rebuild.
    5) Use distilled water (with the right coolant additive)

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    5) Use distilled water (with the right coolant additive)
    Your distilled water does nothing, it is a placebo at best in most applications, unless you're comparing it with ground water.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO-V View Post
    Drain, flush, rinse, refill.

Flushing with distilled water is a waste of money. As long as the water is clean and that it is not hard, you should be fine.
    Unang beses ko iddrain to sir. 5 yrs na kasi and recommended sa manual kada 5 yrs papalitan. Mula bnew di sya nabawasan sa reservoir.

What do you mean by rinse? With distilled water pa rin ba although di na pupunuin yung rad? Sorry got a bit confused there. Btw still planning to use OEM Toyota Long Life Coolant.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Why Water Quality Matters