New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    OE thermostats are generally designed to open late for temperate regions to hasten engine & cabin heating on cold months. Cold starts & delayed heating are unhealthy for the engine. But...we're in the tropics w/ terrible traffic that cancel that concern. Having lower temp thermostats could help a bit in our conditions. Those units w/ resistor controlled multi-speed fans can also be tweaked to run on high all the time when the ECU calls for low. The engine, & the people inside the car will appreciate these tropic traffic cooling mods....just sharing some unsolicited proven unconventional cheats.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    A bit of caution here:

Most thermostats starts opening at around mid-70-80°C and are completely open by around 90°C. Most engines' optimum operating temp ranges between 95-105°C. There's no need to replace the thermostat unless it is defective. Using a replacement part that opens at a colder range will not solve a cooling system fault that is caused by something else. Besides, making this mod will more likely than not prolong warm up times for that engine.

Also, tweaking the radiator fans to always spin at high speeds (even if the ECU is requesting low) will likely shorten their life. You could end up with dead radiator fans in the middle of a trip..... and then you're really in a mess.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    250k. Few expect Koreans to go overtime. Looks to have given your money back twice over.[emoji4]That actually says more about the owner than the car. Grats, sir![emoji106]

its actually the car. no rust and the paint thickness is good. i just change fluids at the right intervals. i need new rear shocks again. I might reach 400,000km before i let this go. no resale value now [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    A bit of caution here:

Most thermostats starts opening at around mid-70-80°C and are completely open by around 90°C. Most engines' optimum operating temp ranges between 95-105°C. There's no need to replace the thermostat unless it is defective. Using a replacement part that opens at a colder range will not solve a cooling system fault that is caused by something else. Besides, making this mod will more likely than not prolong warm up times for that engine.

Also, tweaking the radiator fans to always spin at high speeds (even if the ECU is requesting low) will likely shorten their life. You could end up with dead radiator fans in the middle of a trip..... and then you're really in a mess.
    Both true. Never touch what ain't broke.....As cars age, stuff deteriorate....& there's always that temptation to keep expenses low on old cars that have already depreciated next to 0 value.
    You still have to know your car well before doing these specific tweak options. Having a full time gauge, which I always opt for, helps the behavior observation. A lower temp thermostat in our conditions won't delay reaching optimum op temps long, though. They will still be operating at their designed normal if the system is healthy. It can however delay calling the fan in, which should help the fan life a tiny bit.
    On fans, I'd only service those that lost the low....to simply squeeze out whatever life remains from the OE. They mostly can outlive hobo replacements anyway. Depending on make, OE fan motors run on high when AC is on....& AC is almost always on in our kinda use. My recommendation, always, is once that low resistor dies.... be ready w/ a new 1 in your parts bin whenever you can. It's not uncommon to see those who did still find the new fan in his storage w/ the car long gone to a new owner.[emoji4]

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    its actually the car. no rust and the paint thickness is good. i just change fluids at the right intervals. i need new rear shocks again. I might reach 400,000km before i let this go. no resale value now [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    The car needs the care. You're too modest & kind, good sir.[emoji4] I've seen not a few die young with owners deflecting more blame on badge choice than themselves & their poor habits.[emoji17]

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by suysuy View Post
    So i just replaced my radiator. I bought this obd reader from Lazada. I am just curious since my coolant temperature is 96c-110c. Temp gauge never touches middle. It's slightly below the middle mark.

Car: Sorento 2009 2.5 EX VGT

Should I be worried? Coolant is 50/50 mix. I checked other vehicles they stay at 88c-92c.
    all the cars i have owned, have their normal temp needles at "just slightly below the middle mark".
    by my reckoning, that is normal.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Both true. Never touch what ain't broke.....As cars age, stuff deteriorate....& there's always that temptation to keep expenses low on old cars that have already depreciated next to 0 value.
    You still have to know your car well before doing these specific tweak options. Having a full time gauge, which I always opt for, helps the behavior observation. A lower temp thermostat in our conditions won't delay reaching optimum op temps long, though. They will still be operating at their designed normal if the system is healthy. It can however delay calling the fan in, which should help the fan life a tiny bit.
    On fans, I'd only service those that lost the low....to simply squeeze out whatever life remains from the OE. They mostly can outlive hobo replacements anyway. Depending on make, OE fan motors run on high when AC is on....& AC is almost always on in our kinda use. My recommendation, always, is once that low resistor dies.... be ready w/ a new 1 in your parts bin whenever you can. It's not uncommon to see those who did still find the new fan in his storage w/ the car long gone to a new owner.[emoji4]

Not meaning to start a debate, but yes, it will delay the fan operation for a total of... get ready for it..... once per engine warm up. In all practical sense, it doesn't help. Once the engine gets to optimum temperature, the thermostat remains open until the engine is turned off and allowed to cool.

Using resistors as a means to control the radiator fan speed seems like a bad idea. A/C cabin blowers that uses this type of speed control have the power resistors installed downwind of the blown A/C air... to cool them. Despite that, they still burn out and fail. Much more when subjected to the kind of temperature in the engine compartment.

Anyway, most modern cars use a less wasteful method of controlling radiator fan speed. On Hondas for example, they have a network of relays that routes the electricity to the two fans to control their speed. For low, both fans are connected in series, in which each fan receives approx. 6V DC. If the ECU asks for full speed, the fans are connected in parallel and each fan receives full 12V DC.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Not meaning to start a debate, but yes, it will delay the fan operation for a total of... get ready for it..... once per engine warm up. In all practical sense, it doesn't help. Once the engine gets to optimum temperature, the thermostat remains open until the engine is turned off and allowed to cool.

Using resistors as a means to control the radiator fan speed seems like a bad idea. A/C cabin blowers that uses this type of speed control have the power resistors installed downwind of the blown A/C air... to cool them. Despite that, they still burn out and fail. Much more when subjected to the kind of temperature in the engine compartment.

Anyway, most modern cars use a less wasteful method of controlling radiator fan speed. On Hondas for example, they have a network of relays that routes the electricity to the two fans to control their speed. For low, both fans are connected in series, in which each fan receives approx. 6V DC. If the ECU asks for full speed, the fans are connected in parallel and each fan receives full 12V DC.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Not meaning to either, sir. I've seen a few boasting of tweaked thermos fully open...thinking they've 1 less part to worry about. It's their car.
    Different makes do stuff slightly differently. On older euros, they use resistors & relays on single fans....& divas as they are, those are the 1st to go w/ the fan motor having so much left to serve. Nippons do em better...almost always, they perfect what the euros intro.[emoji4]

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    all the cars i have owned, have their normal temp needles at "just slightly below the middle mark".
    by my reckoning, that is normal.
    Seems normal nga pero mine is 96-110c parang its on the hot side. But no overheating. Needle stays the same though. Baka kasi wala akong allowance when I make long trips or uphill climbs. Baka doon magka aberya kasi nasa upper limit na ako ng temperature range.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    By the way, at 73c the needle gauge already points at the normal level (slightly below middle) and even at 110c it stays the same.

Connected ba yung gauge sa engine coolant temperature? Or independent sila. 73c seems too low for a normal operating temperature of a diesel engine. Baka busted na tung sensor ko.

It goes back to 96c kapag idle.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Ok pa kaya water pump ko? Kinunan ko ng video while the engine is at operating temp with the rad cap open.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast