New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    When i have gone to angeles pampanga and capas tarlac my van is in normal temperature but when we are along nlex going back to manila i see the temp in the dashboard that the temp is not going down since im in a fast drive it usually going down but the temp is below the middle or in above cold it stays for long, so i stop by to shell gas station along nlex when i put water in the radiator it lose around 2 liters of water and to rusty. When i gone to work last friday i just experience the same problem but the temp go down, so on the next day i check again the radiator so it comes up that it lose 1.5 liters of water again, the problem is it has no leaks the hose has no leaks also. When i go to work today i dont experience the problem because theirs no traffic in EDSA. So what do you think the problem tsikoteers? Thankyou so much!

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    it seems you don't have thermostat valve installed..

3. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Sir how to check thermostat valve?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997 View Post
    it seems you don't have thermostat valve installed..
    A missing thermostat valve will never cause an engine to overheat. If anything, it will be the opposite.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    malamang nag overflow yan sa reserve tank kaya nagbawas ng tubig... possible gasket problem or overheating due to dirty radiator

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    agree with sir yapoy86
    could also be a warped cylinder head

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    according to your statements rusty yung radiator...
    i suggest ipalinis mo radiator mo sir have it cleaned inside out... then gumamit ka coolant at distilled water.. 60% water / 40% coolant....
    isabay mo na din sir ang pag check sa mga hoses mo if meh leak at malutong na..
    plus check the thermostat if you have one kung nag fu-full open lift, baka na stuck na yan sa dami kalawang

napapansin at bigyan attention lang cooling system once na cause na ng sakit ng ulo....

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    why distilled?
    hindi ba puedeng tap?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    What you are experiencing now is the result for not following the corret service interval of coolant, using ordinary water/ no coolant that made serious rust and cavitaton. Next thing to watch out after radiator and gasket failure is water pump damage.

Other collateral damage to watch out are
    - Stucked thermostat(worse if it was missing) making your temp erratic. Temp should be within operating temp no matter if you're going fast or slow.
    - Leaks on the cooling system(hose, rad cap, warped gasket) thus evaporating fluids. Using ordinary tap water lowers boiling point causing too early opening of your rad cap.
    - Trapped air due incorrect bleeding could also make erratic temp and overheating damage.

You should only use distilled/ de-minirelized water with coolant mixture. Ordinary tap water are heavy with minerals that alters acidity, it then corrodes/ cause cavitation when subjected to heat and pressure with dissimilar metal components of the engine.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    A missing thermostat valve will never cause an engine to overheat. If anything, it will be the opposite.

i will have to disagree with this. you probably haven't worked on cooling systems long enough. some thermostats are three way and if you remove the thermostat, the coolant only circulates in the engine block and most often does not get to the radiator. the radiator might seem normal but the engine will have fever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast