New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mahandas View Post
    baka sa dumi lang ng tubig yan that settles.

Thats rust. kung may solid particles

Ganyan dina sa akin weekly may "Skidmarks" yung reserve ko

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *Galactus, kung oil yun dapat di magmix sa water, tama po ba? saka wala pa naman po white smoke coming from my exhaust. yung residue nya dry color brown... duda ko nga parang latak ng tubig. will take picture para makita nyo. tnx

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Try flushing both your radiator and reserve tank and see what happens. Baka madumi radiator mo. I suspect that the brown residue is some sort of scale formation from boiling water.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I've experienced oil and water mixing in my radiator, dun sa Galant Sigma ko. Used engine oil and water do mix, have it circulate in the engine, pick up contaminants along the way, and add heat to the equation. Kulay Milo siya. Brought it over sa mechanic and his verdict was a warped cylinder headgasket.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    And whats with these Hardware malls selling Preston Anti Freeze
    Anti-Freeze is just another variant of coolant, it also has the lubricants and other properties essential for the aluminum components of the system.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yung mga anti-freeze na yan eh, galing US/North America. In certain states, esp. Alaska, the weather gets so cold that the water in the radiator freezes solid, kaya may anti-freeze.

Dito naman sa atin, tropical ang klima, kaya di na kailangan. Pero AFAIK, component lang naman ang anti-freeze sa coolant. Hindi naman yata sya sold separately.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think sir OTEP is correct antifreeze and coolant additive are the same. Increases boiling point and decreases freezing point. Coolant in engines is the water, oil can also function as coolant as well as lubrication.

Sir Galactus,
    Warped cylinder head? CH gasket?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *Galactus, sorry di ko nakunan ng pics umulan kasi last night. when im looking on the water sa reservoir clear naman sya. yun color brown residue nandun sa hose (eto yung nasa loob) and latak on the water. =)

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hi All!

For the health of your radiators, cooling systems, and engine in general, use a 50% coolant and 50% distilled water mix.

Most vehicles require that you use coolants that contain ethelyne glycol.

Coolants / anti-freeze help increase the boiling point of the distilled water (for tropical / hot weather mix) to improve the cooling of your engine.

Plus, as OTEP said, they contain other chemicals needed to maintain your cooling system.

You must use distilled water because the mineral content found in hard water (tap water) and mineral water will eventually cause corrosion in the system.

Distilled water practically have no minerals in them so it will not cause corrosion.

Hope this helps.

:regards:

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Best thing to do to keep your radiator functioning efficiently is to make sure your radiator caps are in good condition. Radiator caps contain a spring that activate around 15psi to release excess pressure. In optimum condition, this rarely happens, and your radiator is kept tightly sealed, meaning your coolant does not evaporate. Adding (ethylene glycol (EG) or Propylene Glycol (PG) ) antifreeze, raises the boiling temperature of the coolant to 255 Deg F or about 124 Deg C. Water evaporates at 100 Deg C. Keep ratio of antifreeze to water at 1:1 or maximum or 3:2. Too much antifreeze reduces the coolants heat carrying capacity.

Don't use tap water! or mineral water..These contain minerals that will build up as rust and scale. Distilled or demineralized water is best.

Lastly make sure you have your cooling system is tightly sealed, and check level of coolant consistently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
radiator maintenance