New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

i drained my cooling system this morning and i noticed that i have a milky radiator core.

i don't experience overheating or any high temps even though its mid afternoon.

i just want to have it cleared sana... and not to wait for any overheating problems

thanks

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I think the milky fluid is old coolant. I bet it stinks. You can do a drain and flush. You can use Prestone radiator flush.

Or if you have the budget, do a transtech for a deep clean. It cleans both radiator and engine water jackets. Not sure but I think it cost around 1800 pesos.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Either a head gasket or if its an automatic it could be the cooler for the transmission leaking inside the radiator, If its a reddish color that would indicate the transmission cooler is leaking some on it, just a plain old milky look to it would probably indicate a blown head gasket, blowing oil in to the cooling system,good luck with it.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    mine is m/t so no tranny oil for sure.

the coolant that i drained didn't look oily... it was just the dry rad core that looks milky.

d*mn if it is blown head gasket... could it really be? are there other tests for this? i don't have white smoke for sure.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    looks like you have a oil leaking on your coolant check your engine oil cap if you see milky substance or do a leak down test.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
    looks like you have a oil leaking on your coolant check your engine oil cap if you see milky substance or do a leak down test.
    the odd thing here is
    - i don't emit white smoke under any circumstance (cold/hot start, am/pm, high, mid, low rpm)
    - my valve train including valve cover does not have milky appearance
    - the oil i drained a couple of weeks ago appears to be normal used oil

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    When the coolant last replaced,did you check your coolant again?

However its possible that the car has a problem with the cylinder head gasket usually a sign of a dodgy head gasket, some times the oil from the engine or mixes with the radiator coolant. Other times the coolant mixes with the engine oil producing milky slime in the engine but yours is not.
    Remove the oil filler cap to see if there is any white slime on the inside of the cap. If so, unfortunately you will need to have the cylinder head gasket replaced. Im not kidding.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    When the coolant last replaced,did you check your coolant again?
    yes, coolant is still coolant, not gassy nor oily... also, i'm not loosing coolant nor oil. its really odd

Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Remove the oil filler cap to see if there is any white slime on the inside of the cap. If so, unfortunately you will need to have the cylinder head gasket replaced. Im not kidding.
    there is no white slime nor milky, nor coffee w/ cream texture. its just plain oil. as for the texture of the oil in the filler cap and dip stick, its just at the right viscosity and color by eye

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Hmmmm!

On you engine there is a gasket seals passages between the engine block and the head, where the valves are. There are holes for engine oil and the cooling system.

If the gasket developes a flaw it can allow coolant into the oil passages, or oil into the coolant , and coolant or oil or both into the cylinders( but this is not your case).

Its drivable if its a small crack , but if it gets worse it can cause a lot of damage. I know it cost a lot of money to do this but it would cost you more if you dont keep up. Get a second opinion to a mechanic just dont say anything what I told you, from there, see what he has to say.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    is there a way to verify head gasket failure w/o removing the head?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
milky radiator core - how to remove?