New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    guys, which aircon setting can help save fuel: low thermostat setting+high fan speed, or high thermostat setting+low fan speed?
    TIA.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i've found that mid-thermostat plus low fan speed cools the cabin faster under normal situations. thats probably because the air from the fan has more time to pass over the cooling fins of the evaporator, instead of just blasting high speed air.

here in the phils i run my a/c at mid-cool, fan setting 1 or 2. oks naman. paired with super black tints... ok na ok. the compressor cycles at half the number of times than say, at high cool.

gained fuel mileage is small, but over long distances it can pile up.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Don't overlook the fact that the A/C's job is to provide comfort to you AND your passengers. In other words, saving a few drops of fuel while the passengers at the back seat are sweating isn't right. :D There's no one fixed thermostat or fan setting that will be applicable to all situations. Adjust them accordingly so that all passengers are comfortable.

Keep in mind that whenever you or your passengers feel cold, you're using more gasoline than necessary. Adjust accordingly and for every situation.

In most cars, idle fuel consumption increases by about 50% whenever the A/C compressor is running. In my video below, with the A/C off the engine consumes about 0.88 liters per hour (LPH). When the A/C kicks in, the number jumps to 1.32 LPH.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPF4NPrz2Q"]YouTube - 8th Gen Civic FD (R18 - A/T) idle fuel consumption[/ame]

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    try 3/4 of thermostat and TINT hehehe suits the climate now-a-days

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    mga sir tanong ko lang hindiba masagwa kung maglalagay ako ng grey curtain sa mga van ko sobra kasi talaga ang init ng panahon ngayon

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aga_cruz View Post
    mga sir tanong ko lang hindiba masagwa kung maglalagay ako ng grey curtain sa mga van ko sobra kasi talaga ang init ng panahon ngayon

What kind of van do you drive sir Aga?...for me curtains are a thing of the past (hindi na bagay), if I were you I'd just pick a suitable tint that would make me feel comfortable while inside the van.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aga_cruz View Post
    3m or solarguard (not sunguard!) tint na lang...

superblack all around and medium or light black sa front is nice. ayoko kasi ng masyado maliwanag sa loob, masakit sa mata. my experience, walang binatbat yung araw at init.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Set the highest Blower setting at which you can enjoy listening to your favorite tunes. Then adjust the thermostat accordingly.

During noon, most of the time...I would adjust the thermostat at max cool.

Then during long drives or night driving, mid to low thermostat setting is fine.

As another poster has stated, the A/C is there for comfort...so the optimum settings will vary with the weather conditions and number of passengers.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    3/4 thermostat + 1 fan setting pag ako lang mag-isa, 2 pag full loaded.

as for the curtains, medio TO yun sir. like others said, invest on good tints. nde naman kelangan sabay sabay. mabubuo mo ren un in time. Solarguard aken. sulit na sulit.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    "Re: Which A/C setting can help save fuel?"

-- that would be the "off" setting. joke :D

imho malaking tulong ung tint...but if you want a cheap and quick fix...
    family use po ba ung van nyo sir? some FX's i've ridden go so far as to install insulation on the roof and windows. it won't look pretty but it will keep the heat down.
    Last edited by badkuk; April 18th, 2009 at 09:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Which A/C setting can help save fuel?