New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Turbocharger itself is not the concern. Its more of the extra wear it produces to the engine...

I don't know if anyone here can verify this but I've been told that diesel engine blocks are inherently more durable than common gasoline engines, mas makapal daw ang materials na ginagamit sa diesel engines, hence why turbo diesels last longer than turbo gas.
    yes... diesel engines are built "better" compared to petrol engines

however

diesel also needs a higher compression ratio and they are heavier (thanks to the sturdier materials used)

Turbo Maintenance... Look at all those locally made jeeps and buses. Most engines used to have a turbo which was removed by local mechanics to avoid future issues. Hence, the locally "modified" diesel engines lost power and started emitting black smoke.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Back to the T-Cross...

I think a lot of people would be interested if it was priced like the MG ZS

Or (at its current price) had all the features of the Territory Titanium

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We have had 4 turbo petrol cars since 2014. All three had proven reliable over a span of 5 years. 3 were petrol and 1 is a diesel.

I had to sell the Fiesta Ecoboost back in 2019. I would have kept it but we acquired the ASX.

The FXT, Civic RS, and Jetta TDI were all acquired in 2016. No major concerns for all three cars.

The VW T-Cross would have been better if it had the 1.4L turbo engine. I drove a Golf 1.4T back in 2016 and I would say it is one of the best cars I have driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Egan101; June 8th, 2021 at 03:23 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I think AC needs to figure out kung para kanino yung VW Philippines

When Honda started in the late 80s it was a people's car (kasabayan ng Charade and Pride)... tapos unti unting lumaki engine nung Civic + power features...
    Isuzu will always have the diesel engine
    Kia is locally known na, I think sakto pricing nila sa Stonic

IMO, Maxus is easy if they marketed it well

Kaya lang VW... We Pinoys don't have the "loyalty" to the brand, and if its priced higher than the competitors, medyo mahirap bilhin.
    kilala lang kasi ng pinoy yan VW as the legendary beetle.. yung nga subaru akala ng iba eh european brand..

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Turbocharger itself is not the concern. Its more of the extra wear it produces to the engine...

I don't know if anyone here can verify this but I've been told that diesel engine blocks are inherently more durable than common gasoline engines, mas makapal daw ang materials na ginagamit sa diesel engines, hence why turbo diesels last longer than turbo gas.
    sa design, they need to compensate for the extra power from the turbo... some 4d56 engines have turbo but you cannot fit a turbo to a NA 4d56 engine as their internal components are different.

also diesel engines have more robust blocks due to high combustion pressure needed.. in the 4JA1 isuzu engine, the turbo is a low charge turbo.. only to help the engine improve its emission and not really to add more power..

i believe that an turbo gas engine can also reach the same life span of a NA engine given the proper maintenance and normal use.

sana nga VW fitted a diesel engine sa T-cross para maiba naman among small crossovers na puro gas engine

6. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    We have had 4 turbo petrol cars since 2014. All three had proven reliable over a span of 5 years. 3 were petrol and 1 is a diesel.

I had to sell the Fiesta Ecoboost back in 2019. I would have kept it but we acquired the ASX.

The FXT, Civic RS, and Jetta TDI were all acquired in 2016. No major concerns for all three cars.

The VW T-Cross would have been better if it had the 1.4L turbo engine. I drove a Golf 1.4T back in 2016 and I would say it is one of the best cars I have driven.

Yes. Its normal not to have any problems in 5 years. Even 10 years I doubt there will be major problems.

But in say... 20 years, will a turbo gas engine be as in good condition as a NA?
    As I said, such question will only be relevant depending how long one plans to keep his car...

Going back to the T-Cross, after watching the video, I still cannot see any distinguishing features vs its competitors. The only standouts is that it looks spacious and rear vents are good... Interior looks youthful I guess. Price talaga problem nito.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Yes. Its normal not to have any problems in 5 years. Even 10 years I doubt there will be major problems.

But in say... 20 years, will a turbo gas engine be as in good condition as a NA?
    As I said, such question will only be relevant depending how long one plans to keep his car...
    Agree. using my sister as an example. Her car will only visit the dealership for its 1,000kms free check-up... next PMS will be arranged by a local mechanic. Kaya every time she asks us for a car suggestion, we will always answer it with a Naturally Aspirated, preferably Manual, Toyota

Going back to the T-Cross, after watching the video, I still cannot see any distinguishing features vs its competitors. The only standouts is that it looks spacious and rear vents are good... Interior looks youthful I guess. Price talaga problem nito.
    (Haven't seen the video, pero) I remember articles saying na may USB-C sya, very convenient for me since I replaced all my cables with a Type-C na... pero all our cars have Qi chargers

IMO, VW needs a good endorser for its cars. One that can speak to their potential buyers.

They cannot sell VW (and Maxus) like a Honda or an Isuzu

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Somehow, VW-PH got good sales figures when they brought in those Jettas and Golfs back in 2016. It turned sour for them when they pushed those China models which was not much appreciated.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Somehow, VW-PH got good sales figures when they brought in those Jettas and Golfs back in 2016. It turned sour for them when they pushed those China models which was not much appreciated.

I've never had the chance to see their 2016-17 figures, pero if I remember correctly, ito dapat yung diesel engine cars nila which had very good reputation (internationally) then Dieselgate happened

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007

One more data point in favor of turbo reliability since we're giving anecdotal evidence: I've had my WRX since early 2007 so 14 years na. Never had a single problem with the engine.

A Ford commuter car from around the same time actually gave me more trouble as it needed to have its cylinder head rebuilt.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
2021 Volkswagen T-Cross