New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    [ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4933039399110729804"]OldManila.mpg[/ame]
    sayang talaga...

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    oo grabe ive seen pics of the old manila... ganda. ang linis and maayos . may planning... ngyn sabog sabog na. walang ka planning planning bara bara style. d na nagiisip mga tao.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Even during the 50's to early 70's maganda pa ang Manila. Si Atienza tried to clean up the place with a little suceess. Now Lim is undoing everything ...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for sharing, chuaed. I wonder what seaside building was that at the 04:05 mark.

Here's one that I found, which is also of pre-war Manila (1938).

Interesting to know that Dewey Blvd. (Roxas Blvd.) was built on reclaimed land. Also, does anybody know what year the Philippines switched to driving on the right side of the road? The clip shows driving on the left side.
    Last edited by StraightSix; July 9th, 2008 at 08:21 AM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Nevermind ... I found out it was after the end of the war, when the country was rebuilt.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Guys those are excellent vids. I'm a nostalgia freak and sometimes I really wish that there would be more restorations than rebuilding, modifying of old structures like how some did in Vigan.

Beautiful indeed.

I've also heard that the old house of classic car collector C.C. de Castro was also a sight to behold. Everything is still the same as it was 50-60 years ago - amazing!

Wish I could see that too.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Matraffic pa rin ang tondo noon. Nandyan pa rin ang kalesa, pero yung kapalit ngayon yung bwiset na pedicab. Yung Escolta ngayon is now a shell of what it once was. Yung mga decors sa Jones bridge are all gone...

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005

Bridge of Spain across Pasig Rver. No exhaust fumes to bother you ... you get to smell horse crap instead.

A typical Manila canal during the same period ... crystal-clear water na nuon pa.

Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto
    Yung mga decors sa Jones bridge are all gone...
    Hindi naman lahat. The two statuaries at the northern end of Jones Bridge in this post-battle pic ...

... are now on the footsteps of the Court of Appeals building.

---

*Memphis Raines - Visit skyscrapercity.com ... nandu'n mga video/pics na gusto mo.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I've heard lots of stories from my (late) grandma about the old, pre-war Manila. From my mom, the swingin Manila of the late 50's and 60's. They both told me that Manila Bay was very clean during "their time" that people it was a tourist destination where people can swim out on the bay.

For my part, I'm old enough to remember Manila during the 70's, when the shops at Escolta, Carriedo and Rizal Avenue are the shopping destinations of most Filipinos. Now, Rizal Ave., Escolta and Carriedo are mere shadows of what once was their glory. Atienza tried to revive that former glory (like what he did in Hidalgo St.) but Lim is undoing a lot of it. Take Hidalgo for example. Atienza revived that place i.e. moving street vendors out, putting lamps of the streets, etc. to make it attractive to those who are into photography. What did Lim do? He asked all the vendors to return.

Oh well.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    *StraightSix - thanks buddy maybe you have also heard of nostalgiamanila.com, great pics of '70s there too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Manila before the war... how beautiful it used to be...