New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    di naman masyado magastos a/t sa gas if you drive right. remember the car is only half of the equation, the other half is your right foot. i still can get 8 km/l city driving on my 1.6 lancer in the worst traffic (yun e pag naipit ako na talagang gapang). most days, edsa traffic, non rush hour, it's around 11-12km/l. (see, i never drive during rush hours so tipid ako sa gas ) highway, i still get 16+km/l.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    as a friend of mine told me, "i will not have an M/T unless the car is stupidly fast."

i couldn't agree more. Unless of course if i were to drive a MB SLR McLaren...or any other fast car which has received a similarly intelligent tranny.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    Manufacturers no longer tend to cater to what consumers here really want.
    on the contrary, manufacturers try thinking a couple of steps ahead.

for one thing, they live on the idea that "the market is aging", so the models of cars also "mature" as its clientele does.

they also introduce technologies and conveniences that are innovative but are at the same time a gamble to the receiving public.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    M/T for me. I don't like to rely on electronics. Sanayan din lang ang paggamit ng clutch. Saka mas kaya kong i-DIY mekaniko ang M/T pag nagkaprob yung buong mekanismo

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Comparing a MANUAL transmission vehicle with an AUTOMATIC transmission vehicle, is like comparing a TV with manual controls versus a TV with a remote control: CONVENIENCE.

Why would anyone like to stand up from the sofa, walk 2 meters to the TV set just to change the channel, when you can do the same thing with a remote control? People will give you plenty of reasons: (1) It's ok, i need some exercise anyway; (2) a TV with manual controls is cheaper so it's more affordable; (3) if a manual TV breaks down, it's easier to repair unlike a remote-controlled TV with too many complex electronics.

It's the same thing with a car. Many people can think plenty of reasons to stay away from convenience.

We also have to factor-in, the psychological barrier behind it. Like a friend of mine who insists that LP recordings of the Beatles sound much better than the CD-version. Or an old lady neighbor of ours who insists that she can type much faster using a typewriter than using a computer.

When i was in the States, the only cars using stick shift which you can rent from the Rental Car companies are the sports cars or the trucks. Everything else are automatic. In fact, almost all of them have cruise control - i don't even need to use my feet no more!

There are two reasons why MANUAL transmission is still being marketed in Pinas: (1) they are CHEAPER (Pinoys are budget-conscious); and (2) there are still substantial market from people who insist on using old technology.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I drive a stick but I also prefer A/T's for the convenience it affords.

Manuals are becoming less and less available because that is the worldwide trend. The demand for manual transmissions are down and the cost of manufacturing automatics is also not as prohibitive as before. Factor in how far A/T technology has gone in the last couple of years. Some high powered engines can't even be mated to manuals anymore - only an automatic can do the job.

And automatics are not as fragile a people perceive them to be. Nor are they inefficient with fuel and power (especially with the advent of the lockup torque converter).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    given the chance to get another car (even if second hand) i would get an A/T. sobrang tamad ko na magdrive..hahaha and my clutch leg acts up sometimes and im even in my 20's!

OT: i just found out (from their website) that there are no 1.3E A/T na vios..i thought meron...hahaha wala lang..

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo
    di naman masyado magastos a/t sa gas if you drive right. remember the car is only half of the equation, the other half is your right foot. i still can get 8 km/l city driving on my 1.6 lancer in the worst traffic (yun e pag naipit ako na talagang gapang). most days, edsa traffic, non rush hour, it's around 11-12km/l. (see, i never drive during rush hours so tipid ako sa gas ) highway, i still get 16+km/l.
    bakit yung rav4 a/t chaka honda accord a/t at crv a/t ang lalakas lumunok ng gas?? tanong lang po.... im just wondering... pede ba pang drag race sa pinas ang a/t????

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yung ibang kakilala ko nagrereklamo na malakas daw sa gas. Yun pala iniiwang nakapatay ang overdrive. hehehe. Talagang lalakas ang konsumo mo niyan!

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

it's because of the traffic dudes! mas madali mag-drive ng a/t kesa m/t sa traffic. green light na, shift ka sa first gear then nagrerelease ka pa lang ng clutch mo nasingitan ka na ng naka-a/t! once you've driven an a/t and nagustuhan mo kung paano kadali sumingit sa mga "sloooooow-reaction-must-be-an-old-lady driving" m/t cars you will change your attitude towards an a/t. and it's less tiring to boot.
    very true... specially on an incline, masakit sa legs yung magtimpla.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Are we becoming an A/T country?