New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    There are a few basic types of factory automatic transmission in pan filter medias.

PAPER Paper based media with phenolic resin
    BRASS Brass screen
    STAINLESS Stainless steel screen
    GALVANIZED Galvanized screen
    POLYESTER Polyester screen cloth
    FELT Phenolic Saturated felt

Here are some effiency ratings and these are the good filters from Fleetguard.
    FILTER EFFICIENCY
    • Paper Media: 140 Microns * 50% efficiency * 0.12 gal/min (0.45 L/min) per ISO 16889.
    • Wire Screen: Micron Rating is * 98.7% efficiency.
    • Polyester Media: 140 Microns * 98.7% efficiency.
    • Felt Media: Micron Rating is * 50% efficiency * 0.12 gal/min (0.45 L/min) per ISO 16889.

Average OEM filter is anywhere from 400 microns to 200 microns so not dang good.

The average oil filter is at least 100% efficient at 40 microns, the good ones at least 95% at 20 microns.

Heat is your transmission biggest killer, next comes filtration. For those of us that have factory equiped tranny oil coolers the second logical step for long transmission life is a remote mount transmission filter.

Example of a kit. Which includes a spin on adapter, and a quality oil filter, bosch, Mann, Fleetguard, Donaldson, and Baldwin will work great for this. You only need the normal ones which will get you filtration below 40 microns with no problem and all will hold fine against the transmission pressure which is less than 200psi in pretty much any automotive application. All the filter media is compatible with hydraulic fluid and is the same stuff in there hydraulic fluid filters.

I am going with a a Fleetguard LF3487 which is a sythetic media high flow filter that wil clean down to 2 microns but still has a higher rate of flow than a standard filter.

Here's the basic set up on a Nissan Elgrand. The filter just goes between the return line hose from the cooler to the transmission. Very easy to hook up. Standard Nissan transmission hose is 5/16" as are most imports. The other common size is 3/8" but you can squeeze 3/8" on the 5/16" with no problem. I am using the quality fuel line type hose clamps on all my barbed fittings.

So basically I am getting 50 times better filtration for my transmission with easy filter changes to boot. Add a magnet to your spin on filter and you have a super efficient set up. I use used hard drive magnets because they are cheap or free and damm strong.

Here is a extream example, tranny filter, power steering filter and remote mount oil filter. Hey some people are clean freaks I guess lol.

Now if only shops in the Philippines get wise to this and start carring the mounts for these. This will extend the life of your transmission and keep your fluid 50 times cleaner than OEM.
    Last edited by dvldoc; May 6th, 2011 at 01:33 AM.

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    i don't rely on these shops nowadays unless it's really a "professional"...what i've been looking for is the external cooler for my A/T even surplus would do if ever there is available. Those spin-on adapters i think would be hard to find and not common on auto stores here in Pinas.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    brass adapters are a poor choice, though easy to manufacture. they have tendencies to chip, develop crack or break.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tip_tipid View Post
    brass adapters are a poor choice, though easy to manufacture. they have tendencies to chip, develop crack or break.
    Maybe the ones there, The ones found in the hardware stores here will handle 1000psi or more, never seen a cracked on yet. Looks like someone needs to start importing the good stuff.

I am using brass fittings with 5/16 barbs for my set up.

Looks like it will be pretty hard to get the main part in the Philippines though

You can also fine in line filters like this,

Or a high quality fuel filter with 3/8" barbs. Change it once a year.
    Last edited by dvldoc; May 7th, 2011 at 12:21 AM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    ^^OT: Is that a filter minder on the 3rd pic dvldoc? where can i purchase this one?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Not many places in the Philippines sell those. But if you check my oil filter thread you will find some fleetguard and baldwin dealers that are there in the Philippines that might have it.

Fleetguard part number is 3905161S Baldwin is AFG38D, Donaldson is X002103.

Baldwin

7. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    thanks a lot dvldoc!

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    This is nice indeed although not many shops specially in the provinces here in the PI are doing this and the parts would be hard to source out or fabricate. Guess we will just rely on early ATF changes. I plan to do this yearly or every 20,000 km.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tip_tipid View Post
    yung pinafabricate ko sa mga hose fabricators for heavy machinery maayos naman. yung pinagawa ko dati na oil hose with brass fittings no leaks pa rin ngayon for 3 years na and counting

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Doc, if i place an inline filter on the transmission hose will it lower the atf pressure?

I want to place an inline atf filter but im concerned with the pressure drop or restriction?

Thanks Doc, by the way, your inbox Doc is already full, can't message you...

A/T Remote transmission filter.