New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep. Safety first. Kahit nakakatamad, masasanay na din kayo sa practice.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    I also shift from D to N during long stops, when shifting back from N to D I don't step on the brakes since theres no "locking mechanism". IMO since its a moving part it'l just be more of a wear and tear issue than a tranny issue.
    me too. i just move the lever to D.

From CR-V Owner's Manual, page 152:
    "Neutral (N) -- Use Neutral if you need to restart a stalled engine, or if it is necessary to stop briefly with the engine idling. Shift to Park position if you need to leave the vehicle for any reason. Press on the brake pedal when you are moving the shift lever from Neutral to another gear"

should i build the habit now? or is it perfectly ok for the car to shift N-D without stepping on the brake?

i also shift D-N-D-N when parking when i have to get as close as possible to a wall infront of the car. (pina ba ang tawag dun?) it's easier and less jerkier than using the brake pedal. is this bad?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess it would be up to you if you want to start learning. It is a safety procedure (sort of like fastening your seatbelt). The device is already there and it is up to you to learn how to use it. If you think you are safe enough without it, then don't. But I suggest you do.

Don't flip-flop the gear selector back and forth. Loading, unloading, loading, unloading the transmission in succession can be detrimental to it's service life. Learn to feather your brakes. Precision vehicle control lang iyan.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi
    please enlighten me on why will shifting from N to D without stepping on the brakes will damage the transmission? i also do this sometimes.
    actually, it's the toyota's service advisor who told me that when i had my vehicle seviced there last year. tinanong ko kasi sa kanya if okay lang to shift from N to D w/o stepping on the brakes. sabi nya, better na tapak ko yung brakes coz it may cause damage to the tranny. better safe na lang daw than sorry.. he didn't explore on that.. i didn't say na it will damage the tranny..

another advice na sinabi nya is "Never park without using the parking brake since it puts all the vehicle’s weight on a tiny metal catch inside the transmission. we're not sure na flat and level yung lugar na hinintuan natin kahit na it looks like it. there might be a little slope.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep, don't use the tranny as a parking brake. That's one expensive parking brake in case you break it.

Nabasa ko din yan... always engage your hand brake especially when parking on an include or decline.

Ownertype: Just keep it on "D", hirap control CRV pag close quarters pag di ka sanay, may tendency na mag jerk pag biglaan ang release ng brake just like what Otep said practice lang, slowly depress the brakes.
    Last edited by ILuvDetailing; March 12th, 2005 at 01:21 PM.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    safety wise...use your brake first, i dont think sobrng nakaktamad tapakan ang brake then shift to "D". Siguro once in a while okey lang.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede naman i shift yugn A/T from N to D from a stop without stepping on the brake. it won't damage your tranny, or at least, i don't see how it will.

ang masama ay shifting from N to D at high rpm (high, in this case, means anything above idle!)... sure-fire way to cream your gearbox and create a literal slushbox!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I step on the brakes when shifting from N to D. If I need to move slowly I just lift my foot off the brakes. No, it won't damage your tranny if you don't step on the brake before shifting.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Dapat hinihintay mong mag-lock yung 1st gear bago mo bitiwan yung brake, pag bigla mo na lang ipinasok sa D (without engaging the brake), mag-jerk yan, at sa katagalan masisira ang 1st gear mo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AT shifting gear D, D3, D2