New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    does shifting the A/T in N in traffic save me fuel or will it just be the same if i leave it at D?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    When downshifting to 2 or shifting up to D, do you need to step on the brakes first?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    I disagree... you can always shift to 2nd or 1st gear for controlled decents on long downhills. That's what we have been doing going down from Baguio for the last few years. Vehicles we use range from Mazda3, Honda CRV, Hyundai Starex, Ford Expedition, Chevy Venture, etc.
    That's true. I forgot about those because most mountain roads I travel on are really alpine expressways (4-6 lanes) where speeds are too fast for 1 and 2 to be used effectively. 1 and 2 would work great for San Francisco, although a Shiftronic would work even better.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 24th, 2006 at 02:28 AM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    i always shift to N pag full-stop regardless kung matagal or sandaling lang mag-stop.

my problem is slow moving bumper to bumper traffic, lagi ako naka-D, break, accelerator, break, accelerator, break accelerator parati. malamang nga mapipikon na yun nasa likod ko kasi parati ilaw red lights ko.

and now I hear this high frequency sound whenever i press the brakes, mukang bibigay na brake pads ko. kailangan ko na ba palitan? my dad gave me this car mga 17,800+ km pa lang, addl. 2,000 km or 3 months later, ganito na tunog ng brakes. delikado na ba 'to?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by falken
    Put it in neutral whenever you stop.
    Why?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    is it safe to shift to P while in R? i heard something kanina na kakaiba, nakatapak naman ako sa brakes

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Sa tingin ko Ok lang yan.. as long as the car is not moving.... you can shift from R to P. Pero parang mahirap yata ang Shift to P while in R? siguro nga po ay from R to P.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcastro_ph
    Sa tingin ko Ok lang yan.. as long as the car is not moving.... you can shift from R to P. Pero parang mahirap yata ang Shift to P while in R? siguro nga po ay from R to P.

mahirap mag shift to P while in R? di ba preho lang yun with shifting from R to P? medyo naguluhan ako dun.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Most modern (electronic-controlled) ATs are smart enough to detect the variations in driving condition. Some even have the ability to adjust to your driving style. You want power, just step on it and the ECU will select the optimal gearing per engine speed and terrain conditions. If you are into a leasure drive, just step lightly on the gas and the ECU will know when to shift and then save on gas in return. What I'm saying is that the technology used in these ATs are good-enough for us drivers to forget about the nitty-gritty part of shifting (as oposed to manual driving) - let the technology work for you and keep that lever in 'D' all the time except when parked or in a stop for a long time.

As for the gas consumption, I really think keeping the tranny in D even when in stop will consume more gas, but as to how much more? I think it's quite negligible. A more acceptable justification not to keep it in D is that it's quire tiring to step on the brakes for a long time, and for me, that's convincing enough. The reason I got an AT is primarily for my driving comfort, so I try to make the most out of it haha.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lakay
    Why?
    Saves brakes, ATF, gas, oh... the list goes on. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    i always shift to N pag full-stop regardless kung matagal or sandaling lang mag-stop.

my problem is slow moving bumper to bumper traffic, lagi ako naka-D, break, accelerator, break, accelerator, break accelerator parati. malamang nga mapipikon na yun nasa likod ko kasi parati ilaw red lights ko.

and now I hear this high frequency sound whenever i press the brakes, mukang bibigay na brake pads ko. kailangan ko na ba palitan? my dad gave me this car mga 17,800+ km pa lang, addl. 2,000 km or 3 months later, ganito na tunog ng brakes. delikado na ba 'to?
    That's the problem with ATs and traffic. You wouldn't believe the punishment the brakes go through fighting the transmission in stop-go-stop-go traffic. In the 70k kms we had our last automatic, I had to change pads five times or so (and discs once) because of traffic and long drives.

The high frequency sounds (screeching) mean its time to change pads. Check your discs for damage, also, but in my experience, it's around 40k kms or more when you'll need to replace discs on an AT.

But if you wear down pads really quickly (less than 5k kms after your last pad change) it's possible the discs are already warped.

I'm at 35k kms on the new car already, mostly hard and fast driving... and I'm still on my first set of pads... again... I love manuals.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Question re Automatic Transmission Driving Technique