New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    me D + brakes...if it wasnt a long stop, but if it is then its N + handbrake.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    thanks guys! medyo confusing talaga. who said mas madali ang automatic? hehehe for me parang mas mahirap pa sya against manual . so kapag full stop for more than siguro 20 to 30 seconds, D + breaks (hindi ba pwedeng D + hand brake?) tama ba?. Pero kung more than that, N + hand breaks na tama ba mga bossing?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    anyway, dont make it that complicated. madali talaga matic. mas convenient. less stressful. basta kung matagal hinto...use hand brakes and N...kung sandali lang pwede na D + brakes. ako nga eh....minsan P lang without handbrakes...medyo delikado kase pag nabunggo ka sa likod. kase naman if you have rear disc brakes and always uses handbrakes likurang disc mo naman ang masisira but its a different thing.
    or have you tried switching off the engine while on a stop???....

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    eto naman ang tanong ko

what about O/D? should it be on or off during regular driving?

i usually click it off but for the patrol, i was advised by nissan casa that this should be on always

also, may epekto ba ang O/D on or off sa fuel consumption?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    over drive ON coz it permits
    ~lower rpm shifts....
    ~uses overdrive ratio in as much as possible
    ~for thriftier fuel economy

over drive OFF...its more like Mazda's HOLD function
    ~sometimes self preservation of gear
    ~delays shifts...allows full throttle upshifts
    ~like a sports mode in some AT
    ~doesnt use the OD ratio
    Last edited by basti08; March 22nd, 2006 at 08:17 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    auto trannies can not be towed with the driving wheels down because this rotates the output shaft only. the oil pump is connected to input shaft that is driven by the engine. if engine is off then there is no oil being pumped. no oil = no lubrication = damage to gears and bearings.

for shifting to neutral while moving, remember that an auto tranny gets its signal inputs from different things - engine speed, vehicle speed, torque. shift it to N while on a downhill and that puts the inputs out of the range of the control box. Up to you if you want to try if this f*ks it up.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez
    eto naman ang tanong ko

what about O/D? should it be on or off during regular driving?

i usually click it off but for the patrol, i was advised by nissan casa that this should be on always

also, may epekto ba ang O/D on or off sa fuel consumption?

the OD button is simply to use the final gear ng tranny. kung 4AT ka, OD "on" 4 gears magagamit mo, "off" hanggang 3rd gear lang ang shift. OD is usually turned "off" kung takbo ka lang between 60-80 kph. kasi kung naka-"on", pabalik-balik shift from 3rd to 4th then vice versa. medyo hindi na comfortable both for the passengers and the car. ok na ba?
    Last edited by aceshark; March 22nd, 2006 at 09:03 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Whether you know or not, you can shift gears whenever you want to with n auto tranny. I have a 4 speed a/t 92 Sentra. To downshift, step down on the gas quickly and it signals the tranny to downshift. To shift upwards..its sometimes tricky when you're on higher gears n ur trying to shift into the last gear. When you're on the highway, and you wanna reach the last gear..n ur on ur 2nd to the last gear, step down til the RPMs reach 2500-3000 n you'll feel n hear the engine reaching its max RPM before it switches gears..when u hear this, step down a little bit more n you will feel the engine relax n switch gears n your RPMs will be down to about 2000 n u'll feel the car start to cruise at a faster rate.

At stop lights, leave the car in Drive. N just step down on the brakes. It's better on your transmission, plus you're supposed to, and if you look into the transmission and the built of the tranny, you'll notice a/ts are built for braking at stoplights. Plus you have a faster reaction time if you just leave your foot on the brakes instead of leaving it in neutral especially in heavy traffic where you have to be fast to not leave an open gap between you and the car in front of you or another car will come in and fill the gap.

The reason why you put it in 2 when you go downhill (the lonnnggg downhills) is because you don't want your car at 4th or 5th gear is because for a/ts when you're at those gears..the car thinks ur on the highway or at cruising speeds. So if you leave it at 2, you can't go past 2nd gear..n it gives you more control of your speed.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisKros
    Whether you know or not, you can shift gears whenever you want to with n auto tranny. I have a 4 speed a/t 92 Sentra. To downshift, step down on the gas quickly and it signals the tranny to downshift. To shift upwards..its sometimes tricky when you're on higher gears n ur trying to shift into the last gear. When you're on the highway, and you wanna reach the last gear..n ur on ur 2nd to the last gear, step down til the RPMs reach 2500-3000 n you'll feel n hear the engine reaching its max RPM before it switches gears..when u hear this, step down a little bit more n you will feel the engine relax n switch gears n your RPMs will be down to about 2000 n u'll feel the car start to cruise at a faster rate.

At stop lights, leave the car in Drive. N just step down on the brakes. It's better on your transmission, plus you're supposed to, and if you look into the transmission and the built of the tranny, you'll notice a/ts are built for braking at stoplights. Plus you have a faster reaction time if you just leave your foot on the brakes instead of leaving it in neutral especially in heavy traffic where you have to be fast to not leave an open gap between you and the car in front of you or another car will come in and fill the gap.

The reason why you put it in 2 when you go downhill (the lonnnggg downhills) is because you don't want your car at 4th or 5th gear is because for a/ts when you're at those gears..the car thinks ur on the highway or at cruising speeds. So if you leave it at 2, you can't go past 2nd gear..n it gives you more control of your speed.

Makes sense ha ... may gear naman for going downhill and uphill use that... tapos use N + handbrake pag long stops at P if u r parked or waiting for a long time. Other else use D pag drive at brake kpag short stops like heavy traffic. Tumataas nga lang ung RPM mo pa rin kapag downhill ka at D compared sa N sa MT. How I wish I could do N + freewheel sa AT.

If all else fails use the warranty or Insurance

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I made a mistake once by putting the auto tranny to P while the car is still slowing down. I heard a noise similar to a prepaid card poked into the spokes of a moving bicycle. Scary.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Question re Automatic Transmission Driving Technique