New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Retrofitting this safety feature on a vehicle that doesn't have it is not a bad idea. However, it does take some skills and is not for everyone to do.
    Agree!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bonruiz View Post
    I read my Suzuki Ertiga's Owner's Manual and it instructs the user to push the clutch (while on neutral) before starting the engine. I have been doing that for four years and I think it's safe for the car since it's in the user's manual.

Although not everyone at the casa does that.

Thank you very much.
    many drivers who have had the unpleasant experience of kadjot, learn to step on the clutch before turning the key.
    the clutch is designed to be stepped on, naman.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    many drivers who have had the unpleasant experience of kadjot, learn to step on the clutch before turning the key.
    the clutch is designed to be stepped on, naman.
    What I was taught is to depress the brakes, put the gear in neutral then start the engine.

Since it was just an assembled vehicle, it has no parking brake. Later on with experience, it became a habit even if I'm using a car with handbrake.

My experience, or rather the experience of others, with some of them I have personally seen, not to rely on the handbrake. I've seen a couple of them, where the handbrake didn't work and so caused a lot of damage. One hit a store on the opposite side of the road, one hitting the walls of the garage, and others I couldn't remember.

Then there's this guy who immediately depressed the clutch, without depressing the brakes first. The vehicle moved backwards, as it is in an inclined road, almost hitting the car behind 3 meters away.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    well, i have my own opinion on folks who do not equip their backyard-assembled cars with a hand brake.
    in decades past, the absence of functioning handbrake, was a mainstay of assembled owner type and passenger jeepneys.
    "hijo, i-segunda mo lang, at parang naka-handbrake ka na."
    heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 8th, 2019 at 08:59 AM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bonruiz View Post
    I read my Suzuki Ertiga's Owner's Manual and it instructs the user to push the clutch (while on neutral) before starting the engine. I have been doing that for four years and I think it's safe for the car since it's in the user's manual.

Although not everyone at the casa does that.

Thank you very much.
    That's true and less load on the flywheel.

The MT Grand Starex could not be started unless you step on the clutch pedal....

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    It's a safety feature alright, and I'm sure they did extensive research to decide on choosing pressing clutch as a requisite start to machine, still my instinct tells me, the brake pedal is a better choice if we talk of safety

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Then you won't be able to push start an MT vehicle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the brake pedal is the better choice to step on, when starting an automatic.
    when starting a MT, stepping on the brake pedal will still result in a rude shaking up, if the trans was in gear when the starter is activated. this will not happen, if it were the clutch pedal that was stepped on.
    in either case, pulling on the handbrake before starting, is always a good move.
    and yes, vehicles without a functioning handbrake should not be given permission to use public roads.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 8th, 2019 at 09:08 PM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Passing LTO driving exam does not warrant safety over the basic operating principle of the car because technology evolves rapidly.

By reading the user manual before operating the machine, the manufacturer guarantees safety and functionality iff followed correctly. Ignorance and negligence by the operator is beyond the manufacturer's responsibility.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    what i do is to look for the specific topic in the booklet, and limit my readings to that couple of pages only.
    some owners are not lucky. their used cars came without that owner's manual.

there is value to listening intelligently to the driving school's lecture series.
    but it is not easy, because the pupils therein aren't yet versed with their cars and the road rules, and probably do not know what the lecturer is talking about, because they can't connect...
    Last edited by dr. d; December 13th, 2019 at 09:53 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123