New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hello and greetings to dear members.
    I am from Indonesia and fast becoming a huge fan of this site. Despite the language barrier (I need to learn Tagalog) I have found this gem of a site to be most informative compared to other websites I've researched. The reviews and opinions I gathered have helped me a great deal in making important choices.

I plan to purchase a new car in the coming months. The posts on this board were very valuable that I am now quite certain which model to get. However there are certain details which I am still ignorant.

I am not quite sure how to explain this better as my English is inadequate. With regards to manual transmission when the ignition fails due to temporary battery failure, one can force an engine start by manually pushing the car with the gearshift at first gear. How does one achieve this with Automatic Transmission?

Second, is it fairly a myth that a manual transmission have longer durability than an automatic?

Thank You in Advance.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Welcome to Tsikot sir xcoll2001!

What car are you planning to buy?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hello
    I was interested in the Toyota Fortuner. After the positive experience I had with a Toyota Innova, I quickly converted to the Toyota camp. Alas, my test drive of the ***y beast was less than stellar and reading posts here that reports the same experience I realized that for that premium price it may be better spent on a new Grand Vitara. Nissan X-Trail was an excellent candidate but I disliked having the console box in the center. I have yet to make a final decision though and still open to suggestions.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Welcome to tsikot sir xcol!

As for your question, you may want to read this..

taken from http://www.familycar.com/CarRepair/N...Dead%20Battery

etting a jump start:
    There are a couple of ways to boost, or jump start a car with a dead battery. You can get a Battery Booster Box, which is readily available in stores that sell automotive parts and accessories. This is a device with a rechargeable battery in it that has two large clamps that are used to connect to the dead battery. These booster boxes are recharged by plugging them into a regular wall outlet to keep them ready for use at a moment's notice. Many of them also have an air compressor that can be used to inflate your tires, and a search light to provide emergency light on the side of the road

The other way is to use another car and connect its good battery to the dead battery using Jumper Cables. It is important to use good quality cables when trying to boost a car with a dead battery. Using thin, cheap cables may not allow sufficient amperage through. Furthermore, they can get very hot and fail, possibly causing serious burns or even fire.

When shopping for booster cables, look for heavy cable with insulated wire that is at least 6 gauge, with 4 gauge being better. (the lower the cable gauge, the thicker the wire). Make sure that the wire goes all the way through the clamp and is connected directly to the jaw. If the wire is connected only to the clamp grip, do not buy it. Good jumper cables will cost more than $20 with professional quality cables costing $30 or more. There are plenty of cables that cost as little as $5 to $10. Stay away from those.

Booster cables have one black clamp on each end of one of the wires and a colored clamp, usually red or yellow, on each end of the other cable. When connecting the cable clamps to a battery, it is imperative that you always clamp the positive clamp (Red) to the positive terminal (+) and the negative clamp (Black) to the negative terminal (-)

i find it very useful when the need arises.. helped me more than 4 times already. Hope that helps!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xcoll2001 View Post
    Second, is it fairly a myth that a manual transmission have longer durability than an automatic?

Thank You in Advance.
    Manual tranny has less component,mechanism to maintain than automatic.If you properly maintain an automatic and drive it properly it will last.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcoll2001 View Post
    I am not quite sure how to explain this better as my English is inadequate. With regards to manual transmission when the ignition fails due to temporary battery failure, one can force an engine start by manually pushing the car with the gearshift at first gear. How does one achieve this with Automatic Transmission?
    You can't push-start an A/T. Its either you buy a new battery or have it towed.

Booster cables have one black clamp on each end of one of the wires and a colored clamp, usually red or yellow, on each end of the other cable. When connecting the cable clamps to a battery, it is imperative that you always clamp the positive clamp (Red) to the positive terminal (+) and the negative clamp (Black) to the negative terminal (-)
    Is this true? Car manuals do NOT recommend kasi putting the negative clamp of the cable directly to the negative terminal of the battery

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    welcome to tsikot, xcoll!

given that you are choosing between the fortuner and grand vitara, if you're not worried about the price of gas, then go for the grand vitara...it has that hard-edged high-tech look while the fortuner (no offense to fortuner owners, this is just my opinion) looks bloated fat in comparison. then again, only the fortuner has the option for diesel engines.

when the ignition fails due to temporary battery failure, one can force an engine start by manually pushing the car with the gearshift at first gear. How does one achieve this with Automatic Transmission?
    like mentioned earlier, you can't do the same with an AT. you'll have to replace the battery before you can safely start the AT-equipped car again.

it's a myth alright. :D but then again, abuse a manual transmission and it can fail spectacularly early, like some Lancer Evo owners in the US. it's just that repairing MTs are easier than ATs and less costly as well due to less parts to break.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kiper View Post
    Welcome to tsikot sir xcol!

As for your question, you may want to read this..

i find it very useful when the need arises.. helped me more than 4 times already. Hope that helps!

Hi Kiper,- can you kindly recommend stores here in the Philippines where I can buy this? Also, how much, please?

Does this work for diesel engine(Starex 2.5L TCI), too?

I imagine that I need to recharge this every so often to maintain the battery, how often?

My rides are ATs, so I'd rather be self-sustaining. TIA.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Should work on diesels.

Personally, I'd rather buy a good set of jumper cables. No maintenance kung baga. If you need a boost, just ask a taxi driver or any car owner for help.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Should work on diesels.

Personally, I'd rather buy a good set of jumper cables. No maintenance kung baga. If you need a boost, just ask a taxi driver or any car owner for help.
    Thank you for your input. And yes, I have the jumper cables for our AT vehicles, just in case (and a plan to hail a taxi for help in that eventuality.. hehehe)...

Anyway, I just want to have a peek at that option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Greetings and a question about AT transmission