New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Even known "Master Mechanics" who specialize in a particular brand most of them only do drain and refill. Check out M539 restoration's channel. The guy is a BMW wizard. He picked up a very cheap (and known for problems) E60 M5 which he fixed up, and even with internal damage to the engine he's only doing frequent drain and refill oil changes until metal shavings stop showing up in the drained oil.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Ended up buying 7 x 1 quart of Amsoil CVT fluid as I really can't find any good references in the Internet about people using Mitasu aside from the Philippine/Asian market. The total price from Oil Shack (Lazada) was very very good last 7.7 sale.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    Ended up buying 7 x 1 quart of Amsoil CVT fluid as I really can't find any good references in the Internet about people using Mitasu aside from the Philippine/Asian market. The total price from Oil Shack (Lazada) was very very good last 7.7 sale.
    I used Mitasu as suggested by FusionR a few years back. I guess the rest of the folks in SFX community also have the same experience as me.

Somehow, dumadami na rin gumagamit ng Amsoil CVTF. I might use that on my next CVTF change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I used Mitasu as suggested by FusionR a few years back. I guess the rest of the folks in SFX community also have the same experience as me.

Somehow, dumadami na rin gumagamit ng Amsoil CVTF. I might use that on my next CVTF change.

Mukhang sikat naman nga yung Mitasu dito. Both 2211 Works and FusionR told me that they never had problems with the brand. I just know that they just repack their CVTF and I'm not sure which OEM fluid they use.

On the same note, I also didn't find any negative reviews against Amsoil CVTF.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    Why do the third-party auto shops recommend only CVTF drain and refill for the for the first 40K Km while the casa suggests the full dialysis method? After the first drain and refill, when is the dialysis process done?
    Hi. I just got my 2018 FXT and this is my first Subaru. I am excited to be part of this discussion. I was of the impression that Subaru does not recommend replacing the CVTF because they say it is maintenance free. So does the casa now change the CVTF if you ask it to be changed?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDan View Post
    Hi. I just got my 2018 FXT and this is my first Subaru. I am excited to be part of this discussion. I was of the impression that Subaru does not recommend replacing the CVTF because they say it is maintenance free. So does the casa now change the CVTF if you ask it to be changed?
    Nope, it is not maintenance-free. Subaru requires replacing CVTF every 40k km. They can do it at the casa (dealership) but they will have to replace everything. That’s 13L via dialysis method. It would cost you around 18k.

If you go to the aftermarket shops that specialize in Subaru, they can do drain-and-refill method which needs around 6L.

By the way, the XT/WRX/Levorg/Outback/Legacy uses a different type of CVTF compared to the non-turbo Subaru (Forester/XV/Impreza).

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Thank you, Sir. By the way, my odo is still at 30k, but the previous owner already had it serviced until the 50k pms. CVTF was not replaced at the 40k pms. Is it too early for me to have the CVTF replaced?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thank you, Sir. By the way, my odo is still at 30k, but the previous owner already had it serviced until the 50k pms. CVTF was not replaced at the 40k pms. Is it too early for me to have the CVTF replaced?

Subaru requires actual mileage so have the CVTF replaced at 40k km. You can bring it to FusionR and also include changing the gear oil (front and rear). I guess that would cost you around 10k for the CVTF and gear oil change.

Once a year na lang ako change oil with my XT. Di man ako umaabot ng 10k km in a year. Just make sure to use 5w30 FS oil (API SN, ILSAC GF5).The XT requires around 5.5L of FS oil. I use Amsoil FS oils, by the way.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Thank you for this info, Sir.

By the way, is there any disadvantage if I have the CVTF changed in full versus just the drain and refill, apart from the higher cost?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thank you for this info, Sir.

By the way, is there any disadvantage if I have the CVTF changed in full versus just the drain and refill, apart from the higher cost?

Wala naman reported difference. It still runs as spirited as it is.

Piece of advise - bring your XT on an open highway and stretch it legs once in a while. Rev it hard and let it loose.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast