New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The problem is they added torque converter to the cvt w/c is another system that might break down.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by erick_214 View Post
    The problem is they added torque converter to the cvt w/c is another system that might break down.
    The CVT part just changes the ratios. It still needs something to disconnect the tranny from the engine when it is not moving in D.

The notorious Honda CVT used clutches. The new one uses a torque converter.
    Last edited by JohnM; August 14th, 2014 at 06:30 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Ever since I've got to drive a CVT, I'll always go with one provided there's the option.

No shift shocks and required RPM's to change gears sealed the deal for me on the Lancer.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    The CVT part just changes the ratios. It still needs something to disconnect the tranny from the engine when it is not moving in D.

The notorious Honda CVT used clutches. The new one uses a torque converter.
    The failing clutches are the number one reason for the shock and judder experiences.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    May parts na ba available ang CVT dito sa atin

Tsikot Mobile App

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    While I was having my Lancer's AT replaced around 4 years ago the City CVT beside me was having its clutch pack replaced. I guess the parts are available. Repairs and/or surplus replacements are a hit and miss affair though.

Take very good care of your trannies ;)

7. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Ah okay pala my available parts pala Sa atin ang CVT.

Tsikot Mobile App

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by erick_214 View Post

I trust a torque converter a hell of a lot more than a dry clutch pack. The slippage is absorbed by the transmission fluid, rather than the clutches. Which makes the clutches last longer (just keep changing the fluid).

-

Old CVT parts are, as far as I know, surplus. They're supposed to be maintenance free, so the supplier doesn't sell pieces.. just whole assemblies. But if they sell clutch packs already, then that makes buying a secondhand first-gen Jazz CVT a good deal... incredible economy, smooth running.

Ford, by the way, supposedly sells clutch packs for the Fiesta dual clutch transmission... which also uses "dry" clutches.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    A car with CVT will likely be more fuel efficient as it will continuously match the power band and/or the efficiency of the engine at any given speed (within limits of the car, of course). As for performance, all else being equal, a car equipped with CVT will out-accelerate an equivalent A/T car because of this continuous and efficient energy transfer. Of course, assuming that the PCM electronics can be set or is smart enough to distinguish between an eco run and a sport run.

As for reliability, I think it's safe to assume that most modern CVTs that came out in the last 5 or so years are typically more reliable compared to models that came out 10-15 years ago. I keep reading about those older CVTs starting to exhibit issues like noise, judder, sliding or problems typically associated with the CVT belt. Wear and tear is especially accelerated if the transmission wasn't taken cared of properly or if the owner used the wrong transmission fluid kind or type (which is a common mistake).

Traditional A/Ts on the other hand has had time to mature so if you really take good care of it, it may very well last the whole life of the car without issues.
    Says it all (y)

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Old CVT parts are, as far as I know, surplus. They're supposed to be maintenance free, so the supplier doesn't sell pieces.. just whole assemblies. But if they sell clutch packs already, then that makes buying a secondhand first-gen Jazz CVT a good deal... incredible economy, smooth running.
    The clutch packs might've been surplus. Wasn't paying attention too much. The filter I'm sure was bnew because the owner had to run off and buy it himself. When they were done they poured in 80 peso bottles of generic ATF. Hello repeat customer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast